IGNORED

Nova Scotia in August??

Eddy

Hey guys,

My wife and I are going to Nova Scotia this August with some other couples on our bikes. How is the weather in August and is there any advantage to going earlier in the month. We're trying to pack as light as possible.

Thanks in advance,

Eddie Flinchum

A number of years ago I went during mid-October. Still pretty pleasant weather and the main tourist rush was done. We went along the southwest coast (the 'lighthouse trail") from Yarmouth to Halifax. We only averaged about 30 miles a day and had plenty to do, see and explore.

Great, friendly people who are about as hospitable as they come. I'm sure you will enjoy the trip!

I've always wanted to ride Nova Soctia and will someday, My next big trip will be the outer banks of NC. Anyhow I have an artical in one of my rider mags of a guy that took a trip to Nova. He gives several good tips like the ferry and so on.... email me with you address and if I can find the mag I'll sent you a copy.

• 2 months later...

Eddy,

I live in Newfoundland, right next door to NS. It's generally a bit cooler here, but there isn't a big difference. There is an advantage to going earlier in the month, as things start to cool off in the last week of August. I would definitely bring something warm to wear under your leathers. Last summer I rode in NS with 8 other bikes in the first week in July, and I had on thermal underwear with my rain gear and leathers (no rain!).

The big thing is being prepared for cooler temperatures. I've rode with just a T-shirt in September and October, but I've also experienced it being too cold to go on the Highway in late July. The weather in this part of the country is more variable, I guess. But it's worth it for the spectacular scenery, low traffic, and friendly folks. We are thinking of visiting PEI this summer in Mid July.

dont forget to look into doing the Cabot Trail. take a camera. lighthouse trail is awesome as posted previous. there is also a few museums to take in. the Alexander Graham Bell is an awesome place to spend a few hours. transportation and industry museum i found of interest also.

What Scot said and no matter what time you go bring some warm weather gear and a rain suit. THe weather can change easily in the same day.

Cabot trail is great just a little bumpy, maybe the big hoes will be fixed by the end of August.

Enjoy the trip and depending on where your going start making reservations now.

BRad

I'm going to the east coast mid July..... maybe we will see each other on the road.... keeep your eyes open, and we will meet for a snack along the way..... I have an 88 maroon or wine coloured VR and matching trailer.... see you there JOHN and NANCY

Newfie beat me to it... Leather jacket, chaps, sweatshirts or fleece, and Rain Gear, warm gloves, and Helmets.

You taking the ferry? I've taken the ferry up and rode back... no backtracking that way.. Leaves outta Bar Harbor and Portland.