IGNORED

Mustang Seat for Venture

I have a Mustang seat on my 650 V-Star and have always loved it......I know Mustang has brought out a Venture seat....Who knows what?......Just rode home to Ohio from Thunder on the Beach in Panama City Beach....Need seat help for my 230 lb 64 y/o self!

Check out this thread.. http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=49596&highlight=mustang+seat&page=2

I put a Mustang seat on my last Venture and I liked it. My wife preferred the original seat. I sold it to someone on the board but I don't recall the name. I would buy one again.

Dennis

I have a Mustang seat on my 650 V-Star and have always loved it......I know Mustang has brought out a Venture seat....Who knows what?......Just rode home to Ohio from Thunder on the Beach in Panama City Beach....Need seat help for my 230 lb 64 y/o self!

Just an FYI - cost is about the same for a Russell Day Long saddle. Nothing more comfortable than a RDL. Only downside is they build on your seat base so you will be out of riding for a few weeks (unless you can borrow a seat while yours is being built).

RR

Just an FYI - cost is about the same for a Russell Day Long saddle. Nothing more comfortable than a RDL. Only downside is they build on your seat base so you will be out of riding for a few weeks (unless you can borrow a seat while yours is being built).

RR

The thing about saddles is, they are like shoes, in that no saddle is perfect for everyone. If everybody had the same size butt and same back problems, then there'd only be one saddle made, because that would work for everyman.

I wish I had back the several thou $ I've spent on saddles that I was assured was The Very Best Saddle but which still gave me buttburn and a backache. Same for windshields. Lordy!

Truth is, buttburn and backaches are going to be the norm for us 60-somethings. There is a saddle somewhere that will work better than others for you, but even the very best saddle is still going to make your butt hurt after a few hours.

The thing about saddles is, they are like shoes, in that no saddle is perfect for everyone. If everybody had the same size butt and same back problems, then there'd only be one saddle made, because that would work for everyman.

I wish I had back the several thou $ I've spent on saddles that I was assured was The Very Best Saddle but which still gave me buttburn and a backache. Same for windshields. Lordy!

Truth is, buttburn and backaches are going to be the norm for us 60-somethings. There is a saddle somewhere that will work better than others for you, but even the very best saddle is still going to make your butt hurt after a few hours.

Watch the guys who put on 1000+ miles per day. Many of them are over 60, most over 50. They will all have either the Russell or the Rick Meyer saddle (both are basically the same design). Every one of them ran thru the gambit of pads, sheepskin, beads, Mustang, Corbin, etc. until they found the Russell / Meyer. Now they won't use anything else and just bite the bullet whenever a new bike comes in the stable.

If you're 250#+, the Russell is the best way. They have a heavy duty suspension option that works. Under 250#, either Russell or Meyer will work.

The downside (other than the cost)??? - They are friggin UGLY!!

The selection of saddle has a lot to do with what riding you intend to do. If your riding consists of 300 miles days, any good aftermarket saddle will be a marked improvement over stock. I have a Mustang on my KLR and it rocks. However, I'm not doing Iron Butts on it (yet). If I do, I will spring for the Russell. The KLR is ugly anyway.

RR

Watch the guys who put on 1000+ miles per day. Many of them are over 60, most over 50. They will all have either the Russell or the Rick Meyer saddle (both are basically the same design). Every one of them ran thru the gambit of pads, sheepskin, beads, Mustang, Corbin, etc. until they found the Russell / Meyer. Now they won't use anything else and just bite the bullet whenever a new bike comes in the stable.

If you're 250#+, the Russell is the best way. They have a heavy duty suspension option that works. Under 250#, either Russell or Meyer will work.

The downside (other than the cost)??? - They are friggin UGLY!!

The selection of saddle has a lot to do with what riding you intend to do. If your riding consists of 300 miles days, any good aftermarket saddle will be a marked improvement over stock. I have a Mustang on my KLR and it rocks. However, I'm not doing Iron Butts on it (yet). If I do, I will spring for the Russell. The KLR is ugly anyway.

RR

All true, but add in the fact that anyone who rides a 1000 day is going to be in a world of hurt at mile 999. I don't care what saddle is on the bike. You can't bend an old human body into that position for 18 hours without pain.

The most I've ever ridden in a single day was about 850 miles, so I know what that feels like. Lots of things go towards making comfort or lack thereof in the saddle. The saddle itself is probably the least important component, IMHO. One thing I miss about the Venture is the inability to stand up on the footboards. If you can stand up every so often and stretch your knees, arch your back, rest your blood-deprived derrier, the saddle will be a lot more comfy. Can't stand up on the Venture because of the forward footboards, and that's too bad.

Though I want a more comfortable seat I don't agree that you ride in that one position all day....I can stand on the back of my floor boards and put my butt up high on my utopia backrest and ride standing up very comfortable off my butt for 15--20 minutes....CAN'T DO THAT IN A CAGE!..The Mustang seat made such a great difference on my V-Star that I think that is what I'll do. I have over 180,000 miles on two new style ventures and I think the stock seat is a better than average seat but I need some help too!

OK so who has a Russell Day Long seat on their bike?

Larry

I do. I can do back to back 1000 mile days in comfort (and have done so). Mind you, I also have bar risers, backrest, and highway pegs set up just right for me. But my butt is no longer the limiting factor to my riding distance.

RR

I just came back from three days of riding around west and south of Denver. 1300 miles total. First day, rode almost 500 miles. I did some determined experimenting with standing up on the footboards, and discovered that I can do it very well by using the Corbin Dual Tour backrest to support me while doing so. Eureka! The ability to fully stand up, knees locked, while riding safely, really extends the riding comfort. Get a lot of stares from fellow motorists, though.

It is still a bit awkward to stand for long, and I'm not sure the backrest can support that much weight, which makes me tentative about putting my full weight against it.

In Gunnison I chatted with an older guy on a rented Electra Glide Classic who is traveling with his wife from Frisco to Maryland via US 50. He uses a gel pad of some sort to put a little more pad into the stock HD saddle. A couple of my friends use these types of pads, that inflate with air rather than liquid. I haven't considered these before because I like the solid connection between butt and saddle that I get with my Corbin, loss of which I think might interfere with handling.