My computer keeps kicking on like its running something even when not in use. Sounds like a high speed fan running it may run for 30 sec. to a min. haven't timed it. Everything else seems to be normal.

My computer keeps kicking on like its running something even when not in use. Sounds like a high speed fan running it may run for 30 sec. to a min. haven't timed it. Everything else seems to be normal.

It's likely the fan is clogged or the bearing/bushing is going out. If you have air compressor get in there and blow everything out. If not make sure it's unplugged and vacumn it out with the plastic crevice tool.

Additionally, if you've forgot to remove a cd or dvd then that also can make the type of noise your describing.

In fact not long ago the fan went out in my power supply. I just replaced the power supply they've gotten so inexpensive now a days.

Edited by Wanderer
add text

That would probably be the fan or a hard drive coming on. Is the hard drive light coming on? Whats the room temperature? Is it warmer than in the past? Finally could it be the fan has just become noisy? Is there a disk in the CD player? Check 'task manager' to see if any applications are running.

Good Luck

Mike

What operating system? I'm not a comp geek by any means. Just it may help someone down the line to know. Sounds to me like what the wifes comp was doing. Would sit idle and you would hear something like "rev up". It was for some reason turning on trying to access the hard drive or the CD rom. I dont know if a program is running in the background trying to "update" or access something. You can try to "restore" to an earlier date. Like before started doing the problem. In my case the hard drive finnaly bit the bullit.

What operating system? I'm not a comp geek by any means. Just it may help someone down the line to know. Sounds to me like what the wifes comp was doing. Would sit idle and you would hear something like "rev up". It was for some reason turning on trying to access the hard drive or the CD rom. I dont know if a program is running in the background trying to "update" or access something. You can try to "restore" to an earlier date. Like before started doing the problem. In my case the hard drive finnaly bit the bullit.

Yes, and the Windows operating system is always running something in the background.

:bang head:

ok I'm back yuck think I need a K&N filter for my pc. Yes it's window Vista,

No virius scan running it runs while I'm asleep but I ran a extra scan last night just to be safe.

So far so good

did i say it was nasty need to get a can of air and do a better job of cleaning will it hurt to remove side cover and give it a good washing :rotf:

Careful about blowing out the fans with compresser air, you should either unplug them or put you finger on the fan while blowing them out. I destroyed a Dell once this way as the spinning fan induced a voltage into the fan controller chip which never quite worked the same after that.

Yep revs up like you said must be to many 1st gen post giving it a complex runs more like a moped.

Hmmm still quiet :fingers-crossed-emo

ok I'm back yuck think I need a K&N filter for my pc. Yes it's window Vista,

No virius scan running it runs while I'm asleep but I ran a extra scan last night just to be safe.

So far so good

did i say it was nasty need to get a can of air and do a better job of cleaning will it hurt to remove side cover and give it a good washing :rotf:

No just make sure you use soap and water,then stick it in a big bucket of white rice and it will pull all the water out and be dry. Should be good to go from there.

Wait did I say that stop dont do it. Just kidding.:shock3::rotf::rotf::080402gudl_prv:

Joe

When it does it again, can you open up Task Manager (Ctrl Alt Delete, or Ctrl Shift Esc) and go to Processes tab, and click the column for CPU--you want to sort by CPU usage.--who is using up a lot of CPU power?

Aside from that, what kind of machine? Custom, or PreBuilt?

How many fans do you have, which one IS being very noisy? (May have to just replace a fan)

I can provide more info when you divulge if its Custom or Prebuilt, if Prebuilt what brand?

Well it's still doing it

It's a Compaq brand with windows vista

It has two fans not sure if one is louder than the other thought they both run all the time.

Open task manger last night it showed T M running and this sight will try and find the cpu thingy and watch it.

Well it's still doing it

It's a Compaq brand with windows vista

It has two fans not sure if one is louder than the other thought they both run all the time.

Open task manger last night it showed T M running and this sight will try and find the cpu thingy and watch it.

Go to www.distrowatch.com and download a Linux O/S. Maybe PCLinux and run it live from the CD if the noise goes away it's Windows, if it stays it's hardware.