IGNORED

Longest lasting REAR tire suggestions please...

I had about 5K on the Kendas when I sold the Virago and they still looked new. It is however a much lighter bike.

On another note...I found the Venture was still wandering slightly and wanting to follow the road snakes a little. Then this morning I brought the pressure up from 38 to 48 psi...wow!! She tracks straight as an arrow and I hardly notice the snakes! What a difference.

Jamie and I put Avons on our bikes when we changed tire brands back in 2007, we both bought the Venom, Jamie's ride was a 2005 G/W, mine 83 Venture, weight difference a little over 125 lbs. I ran my rear tire at Avons max pressure listed on the tire, which was either 48 or 50 lbs, Jamie ran his at the G/W suggest rear tire pressure. We both did a lot of 2 up riding, his tire only lasted about 6-7 thousand miles, mine lasted a little over 17 thousand. Others here have said the same thing, on these heavy bikes you need to run max pressure in the tire or they will wear incredibly fast, and that gets expensive.........:2cents:

Edited by DragonRider

Wow! So much great info. I find some of these numbers quite amazing. I'm leaning towards the E3's. I had Bridgestone SPitfire II's prior. The rear went about 12k. Guess that's not too bad. We ride pretty conservatively. No wheelies or blistering accel. I probably wouldn't notice a lot of handling improvements one tire vs another. Perhaps I've had the pressure a little low (the Spitfire says 41). Usually run around the low 40's. I'll jack it up this next go around.

Now, who's got some great wheel polishing advice?

Thanks again everybody. Such a bevy of info here!

Guest tx2sturgis

My rear tires last anywhere from 100 miles to 15,000, depending on when and where I insert the nail/screw/bolt into it.

I'm on my third or fourth, (lost count) Dunlop E3...I have yet to wear one out because if there is a nail or screw in the road, my bike will find it.

:crying:

The original OEM's that came with the bike, loud tires also.

Yea. My experience with the original factory Exedra was similar. The new Exedra Max on the other hand seems to be a very good tire. Be fat city if they would make it in a white wall.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Now, who's got some great wheel polishing advice?

Hi - just finished refinishing my 88 black wheels and mounted new tires. Here is what I did. Took a die grinder and scotch brite to the spokes. Cleaned them up real fast. Took the same pad to the bright alum finish on the rim. Now this is a course cut, so the 'cut' marks are quite visible.

Took 320 grit sandpaper to the rims (not the black painted section) and hand sanded them - quite easy actually. It now gives a satin finish that really shows nicely. At one time I had these polished along with the forks, but didn't like the polished look. The 320 grit is really nice. The spokes were sanded radially (along the spoke).

Then I used varsol and a toothbrush to loosen all the grime, grease and brake dust on the wheel, spokes, hub, and discs. Then soap, water and a brush to clean it up.

Finished it off with a lacquer clear or a wheel rim clear. It looks almost better than new. The spokes shine and sparkle when they turn. Satin look is very impressive.

For the forks, (mine were 23 years old and showed signs of age - pitting etc.) use a paint remover to take off the old clear coat. Then I used a bench grinder / polisher and cleaned it up all around. To finish, I hand sanded the forks carefully and accurately with 400 grit, held the forks and rotated them in my hand while holding the sandpaper. Clear coat after wards - looks brilliant.

So many great replies! I settled on the E3's. Going to mount them this week.

Thanks for the polishing advice! I wound up sandblasting and polishing them. Coated with por15 glisten. Man, that stuff is badass! Not as mirrorlike as I wanted but they look way better than they did.