IGNORED

It was funny-could have been serious!!

Guest KitCarson

Guest KitCarson

I did not get to go for my Sunday ride this week......so today it was more than I could stand.......beautiful day.....warm......sun out.....so I tucked my shoe laces inside my work boots and picked up a helmet in the garage and off I went on Crickett to go in person to see about a bid on some water meters, heck with this phone stuff.....lets go for a ride.

On 378 a Green Chevy Blazer at the stop light by I-20 overshot the stop light and ended up halfway through the intersection. He backed up to the painted line......I was right behind him, another white Ford pickup right behind me......I noticed the right rear backup light still on.....the left was burned out.......so I put both feet on the ground.....and slowly backed my bike up as far as I could almost up against the pickup....this gave me about a 10 foot escape area........I saw it setting up......I knew it was going to happen!! The guy in the Blazer was still in reverse gear....he had forgotten to shift back to drive.

Sure enough....when the light turned green........three things happened, I saw the rear tires on the Green Blazer start to come my way....so I instantly zipped around him on the left side into the middle median.....he hit the gas to go forward....the pickup behind me hit the gas to go forward.....yep.....busted plastic and headlights all over the place......the fellows face in the pickup.....it was classic.....I am still tickled over that.

I called the cops for them......stayed.....county sheriff asked me what happened....got my name and number .....told me I could go.....I think he was giving both of them a ticket for something.

You simply have to stay alert.....if I had not seen the backup light on.

Could have been serious............Ride defensive guys...it can happen at any second......sure can.

Since You Escaped....it Is Laughable....had One Like That In Baton Rouge Once. Guy Tried To KeEp Me From Entering The Freeway. Gunned His Truck Just As The Guy In Front Hit His Brakes....my Wife Heard It And Ask What The Noise Was...all I Could Say To Her Was, The Noise Was Somebody Making Room For Us...

To add to the funny side, you could have jumped off the bike, let it get totaled, took the money, bought a pristine quiet (and fast) 1st gen and still had money left over to trick it out!

:bighug:

Seriously though, glad you were alert and able to escape. Could have been a whole lot worse.

Dan

Hey Kit,

You just made a post about the #1 thing that I think about when I ride, which is know what is going on around you and ALWAYS having a way out. (escape route)

Glad you think the same, and are now here telling us about it.

Thanks, and safe riding,

Steve

Guest KitCarson
That's what you get for being on that side of town.

378 and I-20 are always bad.

Just very glad you saw the backup lights and got out of the way.

I do believe you are right about that. If you remember the first time I met you, a gray sedan did a U-turn in the middle of the road down from the flea-market. Went right between us if you wondered where I went for a few seconds.I was avoiding that. We have a lot of bad drivers in this state........lots of them....the fellow this morning in the green blazer was young and hispanic....not sure he even had a drivers license......but that was the cops worry.....not mine.......I just took a deep breath.....relaxed.......and enjoyed the rest of the two hours I stole to be on the bike. Just a thing....another situation avoided....do worry about my youngest son.....he has a bike......is still young.......does not pay attention.......but like me has survived some jim dandy crashes......maybe he does pay more attention than I think he does. .........Kit