IGNORED

Sea Foam - Just Curious how people are using it?

We hear how guys are using Sea Foam when a bike has been sitting a long time and when their bikes are not running well. But i was just wondering if guys are using it on a routine basis, just to keep things running well. Can it be over used. I was thinking about running a tank full of Sea Foam treated fuel, before i leave on my long trip. How are you guys using it?

I keep about 4oz per tank of gas in bike during the winter, a few oz in the lawn tractor and any 4 cycle motors and in the 5gal gas can, if I have leftover in the fall. Been running half a can per tank in my "new" 85 venture which hasn't had much tlc in awhile, and after 2 tanks it's running noticeably smoother.

I bought 2 cans of "Berryman B-12 Chemtool" for 3.18 a can at Walmart. Anybody have a can of seafoam handy to compare ingredients? This has the same claims. Cleans fuel system, removes water, etc etc.

Contains, Toluene, Methanol, Acetone, MEK, Butoxyethanol, and Isopropanol (IPA).

One of the better ways to use it is to get some in the carbs BEFORE it is laid up for a few months.

Generally it will clean up carbs that are just a bit grimy, but will not help if any passages are already blocked.

Spitfire, just used a can of the Berrymans up. I bought just for the reasons you said. Directions read almost exactly as Sea Foam, with the exception the B 12 says not to use in diesel engines. Ingredeants looked the same I think but how much of what how knows.

I'm suprised some of you all aint brushing your teeth with it. I run 6oz in a tank about every five or six tanks depending on if/when I remember. Ocasionaly I run some of the other carb/injector cleaners thru also.

Spitfire, just used a can of the Berrymans up. I bought just for the reasons you said. Directions read almost exactly as Sea Foam, with the exception the B 12 says not to use in diesel engines. Ingredeants looked the same I think but how much of what how knows.

I'm suprised some of you all aint brushing your teeth with it. I run 6oz in a tank about every five or six tanks depending on if/when I remember. Ocasionaly I run some of the other carb/injector cleaners thru also.

I had water on the knee one time and it worked very well for that.:doh:

Actually I think it's a very good additive but I don't use it near as much as a lot of you.

Half a can at the end of the year is about it. I've never had the luck some of you have had. If the carbs are acting up I haft to take them apart and clean them.

But if it works for you that'st great.

BOO

i use to use tetchron all the time, every 3 tank or so and full can before oil change, run it hard for most of the tank and stay out of 5th gear, then change oil and you'll see small flakes of carbon in the oil. i use sea foam or techron as which is cheapest, both works same for me. i just meet a guy and his 98 royal star was running rough and not much power. i checked his carbs for sync and 1 was off about 4 bars. they were all jumping around a lot, so i checked all for leaks, none found. i got him to go to walmark and get some sea foam and put the can in it. i think he was a little leary of putting it in as the can don't say that, so he asked me a couple more times, which i told him he could put what it said and it would help but he needed the can full. when we go to the bike, he said he was going to put gas in before he added it so i told him that was fine but if he put some in now it would get into the carbs and start working and not hurt. he started put it in and stopped and then dumped the can in and said "we'll see". ocourse the gas station was on the other side of the building. we ran down the interstate about 20 miles, during which i went to 3rd gear and ran up to 110mph a couple of times. when we were getting off to go back i could hear it was running a lot smoother. i pulled into the gas station there just to talk with him about it and he was smilling and saying "it's running alot better". after we got back to his house it was running awhole lot better. these motors are upto being ran at higher-revs and speeds than some think, but i haven't heard of many going bad or wrecking. my 01 royal star has the smaller 28mm carbs and single valve springs and i have my dyna-tech set at 7250 rpm and wring it out and still hit the rev-limit from time to time, o'course several has told me i was going to float a valve or wreck it, but at 73600 miles it'll still run right up there with any other bike around. even out run a built harley while towing my trailer!!.

Edited by tazmocycle

I use it in all my equipment for my mini farm. Good for the 66 year old Ford tractor and keeps the gas engines prepped during the winter. I have never had a motor fail to start in the spring. My neighbors riding mower was misfiring last week and I put a half can in his gas and it smoothed out fairly quickly.

:farmer:

One of the better ways to use it is to get some in the carbs BEFORE it is laid up for a few months.

Generally it will clean up carbs that are just a bit grimy, but will not help if any passages are already blocked.

I've always said the same thing.... that Seafoam does great as long as it can flow through and wash varnish out of a carb but I couldn't see it dissolving the gunk in a plugged jet where it can't flow through it to wash it. Well, if you give it enough time, I guess it can dissolve it.

Some time ago my wifes 650 VStar sat with untreated fuel for a few months and when I went to start it was hard to start and then would only idle if I babied it. I disassembled the carbs and found both pilot jets clogged from one end to the other. I was able to dig a little out but not much. I put it all back together knowing it would be a while before I had time to work on it again. I drained the old fuel and filled it with fresh and added a full can of Seafoam and a healthy dose of Startron then I started it and idled it a while to make sure treated fuel was in the carb. That was about a year ago. I bought new pilot jets a few months ago and was going to install them but decided to try and start it just for the 'ell of it. Just as before it was hard to start and would only idle. After a few minutes I started trying to give it more throttle. It didn't want to at first but then it would rev a little with some popping through the exhaust but it kept getting better. Finally, it was doing well enough that I took it out on the street and ended up doing about 10 miles. It's running as good as it always did now. I guess the Seafoam finally wicked it's way through all the crud and dissolved it. From now on all fuel in my bikes and small engines get a dose of Seafoam and a dose of Startron.

Edit: I have a Massey Ferguson 135 with the Perkins gas engine. The fuel cut solenoid that cuts fuel flow through the carb when you switch off the engine doesn't work so in the past it would always run-on or "diesel" when I turned the key off. That's because of hot spots in the carbon that builds up in the cylinder igniting the fuel that was still being pulled in. I started dosing the last few tanks of fuel with Seafoam because it sits for months at a time now that I have a 2nd tractor. After running it with Seafoam in the fuel it never "diesels" anymore. Before Seafoam it would run-on every time.

Edited by BigBoyinMS