IGNORED

How do you like Netflix...

darthandy

The Canadian version, that is. I've heard that what we get up here is not quite the same content as the U.S. My wife and I like to watch movies now and then but I get annoyed at all the stuff the networks cut out. Except for some of the special effects filled movies, I'm quite happy to wait a few months and watch them at home on TV rather than at the theatre - that gets expensive in a hurry.

I've gone to their site to check out what they have available, but there doesn't seem to be a way to bring up everything. You have to use their "browse" function which only shows a few movies in each category or use "search" which brings up a lot of stuff that doesn't seem to belong in that category. So - how do my fellow Canadians feel about Netflix? Is it worth the $8.00 per month? That sounds better than the $5.00 + the cable company wants for one movie rental.

Andy

I don't know about the Canadian version, but I'm happy with it.

I watch Sons of Anarchy on Netflix but they are a little slow to release the "just passed" season.

I looked around for the 4th season online and found out Amazon has a Prime Instant Videos section also that had the entire 4th season for $11. I beleive it is free if you have Amazon Prime, other than that you purchase the movie (or what have you) and it stays in your "library"

Just another option.:080402gudl_prv:

Keith

AT&T quietly slapped a 250gb/month limit on their dsl a few months ago. I think you would have to really really use netflix a LOT to approach that, but it is worth checking into. I had it but canceled when they dropped shipping dvd's at base level and increased price 50% to get the same package. It did work nice on the wii system though.

For $8 per month you can't go wrong. Cost of 5 coffees per month.

I've gone thru the list and they have a lot of movies and tv shows. Watched all the episodes of Soap, started watching Kolchak:The Night Stalker, and Rockford Files.

Even if you don't watch it frequently you still can't go wrong for the price.

One thing I found interesting though was that I bought a Panasonic plasma tv with wireless and NetFlix but found that the version on the tv doesn't work in Canada but will in the States. Bought a Panasonic wifi bluray player that does support the Canadian version. Go figure.... same brand but one supports Canada the other doesn't.

Something good to watch is "Long Way Round" and "Long Way Down".

Ewan McGregor and Charlie Borman ride BMWs around the world. I really did enjoy the 2 series.

There's also the "Road to Dakar" that Charlie Borman did. It's a nice insight to what actually is involved in the Dakar offroad rally.

I get Netflix through our WII gaming system, it's $8 a month. We connect thru our cable internet connection and it streams flawlessly. There is a lot of old content on there, but still plenty to keep you entertained. If you want the new stuff you have to step up to the next subscription level. My son has that so we get the disk when he's done with it. If you want to know more pm me,can't talk about the rest here.

For $8 per month you can't go wrong. Cost of 5 coffees per month.

I've gone thru the list and they have a lot of movies and tv shows. Watched all the episodes of Soap, started watching Kolchak:The Night Stalker, and Rockford Files.

How did you go through the list? Do you have to subscribe first? When I go to their site, I can't find a way to check out all the content. Neither the "browse" function nor the "search" function allows me to see everything that they offer.

As for the Gb limits, I have 80 Gb per month on my cable connection and use less than 20 Gb per month now, so I should be able to watch a fair number of movies and shows each month...certainly more than we're likely to watch, anyway.

Andy

I've gone to their site to check out what they have available, but there doesn't seem to be a way to bring up everything. You have to use their "browse" function which only shows a few movies in each category or use "search" which brings up a lot of stuff that doesn't seem to belong in that category. So - how do my fellow Canadians feel about Netflix? Is it worth the $8.00 per month? That sounds better than the $5.00 + the cable company wants for one movie rental.

Andy

We have Netflix also. Sign up for a 1 month free trial ... you should then be able to see all available movies/shows. There's quite a lot but just like many other "offerings", not always what you might want and a lot of stuff you don't want.

We like it tho and like others have said, for $8/mo, it's pretty reasonable...if you use it.

Guest tx2sturgis

I really like Netflix, especially for the documentaries. hey what can i say? I like to learn something when I watch the tube.

One that I recently watched on Netflix was really good, it was an IMAX production, called Legends of Flight. That was one show that I wished had lasted another hour or so.

Here is a short clip from the program:

[ame]

[/ame]

I REALLY like Netflix on the Roku box, hooked up to a flat panel set via HDMI, as opposed to watching movies on the computer.

Yeah for $8, its a good deal for me.

Edited by tx2sturgis

Something good to watch is "Long Way Round" and "Long Way Down".

Ewan McGregor and Charlie Borman ride BMWs around the world. I really did enjoy the 2 series.

There's also the "Road to Dakar" that Charlie Borman did. It's a nice insight to what actually is involved in the Dakar offroad rally.

Also check out "By Any Means" (starring Charley only). Personally I can't stand the twit, but the worldwide adventure of it is pretty interesting.

We've been watching "Heartland"...Canadian dude ranch series.

They have the first 4 years on Netflix.

It's nice to watch a TV show with no commercials!

Lots of old english type movies also (Jayne Ayer, North/South etc)

Only thing I have found is when there is a lot of action/high speed, once in a while and not very often) the picture gets a bit pixillated.

There are great documentaries also.

For $8 you can't beat it.

We've been with Netflix for years. Started out with the 3 DVD membership for around 12-13 bucks. When they started offering online streaming it was free at first, so what the hey.... Then they started playing silly games on what the monthly charge would be, and we finally dropped the DVD service and went streaming only for $8 bucks a month like most of you. The only cretique I have with the online stuff is the movies are old, unless they are 'B' grade stuff, or one that never made it. It's amazing how many films died in the can... With online only there aren't any new releases... which ticks me off... Netflix also changed their streaming method to SilverLight and since then I can get anything in HD. Called them about it and they acted like I was the only one having the problem. They need to check what's written on the web. Why do customer services think they can lie about something when info is open on the web?? Anyway no resolve.... I wish there were something else available. I think I'd change services...

We have it and use it. I would prefer the American Netflix as they have better and newer movies and TV shows.

I would recommend signing up for the free 30 days. We did that, but did not keep it as I went to the States in that time period and your netflix goes with you on vacation. The plus side to that is if in the USA you get their content, which is much better so I did not sign up for almost a year. What made me sign up now was we are planning on cancelling our satelite.

The good thing as was said earlier by others is the TV shows, no commercials and you can see several seasons and all the episodes. You can start watching and stop it and start it up on your phone,computer or another TV, hours, days or weeks later.

A great concept for $8 a month.

I would say they are adding more content each month here in Canada.