IGNORED

Why do short leg guys feel they need a ..

Eddie

Im sitting at a light today, a guy pulls next to me on a GW. Goes to put his feet down and all that touches is his toes. He then tries to lean the bike to one side to hold it up and oops . I get out and help get it to the upright position, and he says it happens on uneven pavement. I see guys all the time that don't fit there bikes so my question is why if you are height challenged do you feel you need a touring bike that is to big ?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fitting a bike to you is in my opinion crucial. I have a 32 inch inseam and flatfoot on my Wing. Also flatfooted on a Harley or Venture...I have advised some to get at least a thicker sole boot so they can flatfoot there bikes. All bikes are good as far as I am concerned..Keeps you young at heart.

not sure how to take this........are you saying short guys like me shouldnt be allowed on a touring bike? Most of the time I cant put anything but my toes down on my 1st gen. Does this mean this is its too big for me?

Kinda confused here

David

The way I took it is if you can safely balance it then great, but if your dropping it in the middle of an intersection then its a hazard and something needs to be addressed. Lower seat height, thicker soles, trike or a totally different mc.

Probably for the same reason A lot of guys owning Harley's....To try to impress everyone.

So you must be the guy I helped today. Your welcome. Harley's are impressive all by themselves so who is on it doesn't matter much. :)

Sorry a 1984 Venture isn't getting you much attention.

not sure how to take this........are you saying short guys like me shouldnt be allowed on a touring bike? Most of the time I cant put anything but my toes down on my 1st gen. Does this mean this is its too big for me?

Kinda confused here

David

No , Im saying that the bike you decide to ride should fit you. So if it needs to be altered have it done so you are safe.

Im sitting at a light today, a guy pulls next to me on a GW. Goes to put his feet down and all that touches is his toes. He then tries to lean the bike to one side to hold it up and oops . I get out and help get it to the upright position, and he says it happens on uneven pavement. I see guys all the time that don't fit there bikes so my question is why if you are height challenged do you feel you need a touring bike that is to big ?

because they don't make short touring bikes. I have had my seat redone, I have lowered the front of my bike, and I wear boots but it is still a long way to the ground guess I'll just have to do the best I can with the short legs I got. :)

I aint touching this with a ten foot leg. :whistling: :sign just kidding:

I do not have that problem, and glad.

Ya I feel for people whom have a hard time riding, I would have helped him out to. Scary feeling when the bike goes down in a parking lot, let a long in an intersection of maniacs.

I let a Honda Magna get down at least to the foot peg before getting it back up. The goof ball at work had put a very small amount of grease on my right handle bar grip some time before quitting time, and as I got off in my anger, I forgot to put the kickstand back down. The next day the Foreman heard from me and the men where warned and that did not happen again.

The poor guy you mentioned was probably really embarrassed to. You where probably embarrassed for him to, and probably a little scared also out in the traffic there. I know that is how I would have felt.

You are right, not good when your outriggers aint on the ground.

Fuzzy

Guest Zak202

Followed my brother in-law taking my RSV to the shop today since I herniated a disc in my back last wee. He was on his toes at a traffic light. He said he is the same way on his Harley. I suggested lowering the back end of the Harley, but he said he is afraid it will be too rough of a ride.

Guest tx2sturgis

A lot of women have this same issue on many makes of motorcycles, not just touring bikes.

There used to be a 'short biker' website addressing this issue, and when a woman (or shorter man) was able to tiptoe on both feet, the bike was considered rideable. Tip-toeing on one foot was considered doable, but only for more experienced riders. If a rider eliminates all bikes that he or she cant flatfoot, then the number of available mounts decreases, sometimes to the point of only a few bikes, if your under say, 5 foot 2 or so.

A lot of the larger high performance adventure-touring bikes, and some German touring bikes, and even motocrossers keep the rider up a lot higher than you might think is prudent. I have ridden a few bikes on demo rides that allowed me to only put one foot down flat, and that was enough for me to handle the bike with no problems.

Handling and ground-clearance issues are primary, and then its up to the rider to determine suitability.

The seat height is not really a huge factor, IF the rider is skilled and careful, is always aware of where they stop, aware of the balance of the bike, and doesnt do careless things that cause the bike to go horizontal.

And BTW, there are a few shorter touring bikes on the market, the Kawasaki 900 LT and the new Harley Davidson Switchblade come to mind. And the Harley Heritage Softail Classic, although not technically a 'touring bike', is very suitable for cross country rides and has a low seat height.

My thoughts are that the purchasing rider should be the one who decides what they ride. Not the person helping them to get the bike vertical again. I'm just sayin.

But that shorter rider also needs to pay closer attention to the road and the bike, to make up for the slightly more difficult job at hand during low speed manuevers.

Just my 2 :2cents:.

Maybe the manufacture of the air suspension system should incorporate a memory system, one for low and one for high. Hit the low button leting the air out lowering the bike to the preset pressure and a high button to raise the bike to the preset pressure. One could have someone steady the bike with the rider on with no kick stand and set the air pressure memory.

In 1980 I bought a new Goldwing and I soon said it sure would be nice if Honda could put in a reverse. A few years later they did.

Seriously? When I first read this, I thought it was the beginning of a joke. Iv'e been riding a lot of years, have had a variety of bikes, and I have about a 29" inseam. I never realized I had to conform to a size that "fit" me.

There are some bikes out there I guest I wouldn't even try, but my latest bike is an '06 Suzuki V-Strom 1000. I'm on my tippy toes at stops, and I can comfortably flat foot one at a time. I'm more cautious of the road level when parking, and if needs be I'll push it back before getting on it. But I guess I have more than enough experience to ride the bike as intended. And I have enough experience in life to not suggest that "height challenged" riders should not ride touring bikes.

Well, that's a fair question. The reason for me is that I like what I like. I do a lot of long distance riding with my wife. We both want comfort. I have an 08 RSV...used to have an 01 GL1800.

I'm about a 29 inseam too, and I know what the tippy toes is all about. The biggest issue for me is backing up on the RSV. The GL1800 had reverse, so that wasn't an issue.

So, I am not ashamed to admit that I wear elevator shoes... 4.5 inches! Took a little getting used to, and I don't always wear them, but if I know that I am going to be in a lot of stop and go traffic, or know I might have to be backing up a lot, for instance, I wear them.

I've read where some users put on lower profile tires, have their seats changed or modded, or have installed a lowering kit. For me, the shoes were a cheap way out.

Actually, when I drive an HD Ultra Classic, I can flat foot at stops. Can't do it on my RSV, however.

:bluesbrother:

I aint touching this with a ten foot leg. :whistling: :sign just kidding:

I do not have that problem, and glad.

Ya I feel for people whom have a hard time riding, I would have helped him out to. Scary feeling when the bike goes down in a parking lot, let a long in an intersection of maniacs.

I let a Honda Magna get down at least to the foot peg before getting it back up. The goof ball at work had put a very small amount of grease on my right handle bar grip some time before quitting time, and as I got off in my anger, I forgot to put the kickstand back down. The next day the Foreman heard from me and the men where warned and that did not happen again.

The poor guy you mentioned was probably really embarrassed to. You where probably embarrassed for him to, and probably a little scared also out in the traffic there. I know that is how I would have felt.

You are right, not good when your outriggers aint on the ground.

Fuzzy

Not so much a "scary" feeling as much as it is embarrassing, especially when there are a lot of onlookers. lol

:bluesbrother:

Probably for the same reason A lot of guys owning Harley's....To try to impress everyone.

You mean those Harleys that overheat in traffic in the hot Texas summer days, while I just smile as I get the green light and whiz past them on my liquid cooled RSV? Those guys, you mean? lol

:stickinouttounge:

but my latest bike is an '06 Suzuki V-Strom 1000. I'm on my tippy toes at stops, and I can comfortably flat foot one at a time.
Not too many people can flat foot a DL-1000...Lol. I have a 32" inseam and can barely flat foot my friend's.

Seat width has almost as much to do with getting your feet on the ground as height does.

You mean those Harleys that overheat in traffic in the hot Texas summer days, while I just smile as I get the green light and whiz past them on my liquid cooled RSV? Those guys, you mean? lol

:stickinouttounge:

another Harley joke wow my one feeling I had left is hurt now. I hope the guy was able to push it to the side of the road without help.

So you must be the guy I helped today. Your welcome. Harley's are impressive all by themselves so who is on it doesn't matter much. :)

Sorry a 1984 Venture isn't getting you much attention.

Hey some of us ride what we ride because we love the bike and couldn't care less if we are impressing anyone. Sounds like someone is compensating :confused24:

Oh and let's see how that Hardly Davidson is fairing in twenty plus years.

I dont generally weigh in on these things...but I am 5'6 and ride a first generation. I also weigh 240 lbs and could -at my strongest bench press well of over 400 lbs.. No problem holding the bike up, even two up- fully loaded.... or picking it up by my self the two times I dropped it in the driveway...

I dont generally weigh in on these things...but I am 5'6 and ride a first generation. I also weigh 240 lbs and could -at my strongest bench press well of over 400 lbs.. No problem holding the bike up, even two up- fully loaded.... or picking it up by my self the two times I dropped it in the driveway...

So, How many times have you dropped it in the driveway?:mo money::mo money::mo money: