IGNORED

Corbin backrest adjustment

Assume its the dual tour, didn't know they made anything else for the RSV.

I think there's an adjustable hex plug at the base of the upright. You'll need to take the seat off to get to it.... Or not... but at least you get to see the base of the backrest and figure it out.

Pulled the seat and here are my assumptions:

1. There should be some sort of bolt/allen screw at the base of the backrest.

2. That bolt should prevent the backrest from pulling out -- I can remove mine just by sliding the backrest out.

3. Since I have no bolt in the base, there is no further adjustment to allow the backrest to tilt further aft.

My original goal was to see about getting the backrest to tilt further back. At 6'9", the RSV isn't the most comfortable bike for me, but my wife likes the way it looks and my autistic son rides better on it with the rear pseudo-arm rests. I do admit that I have never tried riding without the backrest altogether, but that's something I'll correct this week.

I did get the original seats with the bike, so I might have to put them back on to see how they feel. The extra height in the driver's seat may be a big help, but the backrest is almost a must for me at this point.

Pulled the seat and here are my assumptions:

1. There should be some sort of bolt/allen screw at the base of the backrest.

2. That bolt should prevent the backrest from pulling out -- I can remove mine just by sliding the backrest out.

3. Since I have no bolt in the base, there is no further adjustment to allow the backrest to tilt further aft.

My original goal was to see about getting the backrest to tilt further back. At 6'9", the RSV isn't the most comfortable bike for me, but my wife likes the way it looks and my autistic son rides better on it with the rear pseudo-arm rests. I do admit that I have never tried riding without the backrest altogether, but that's something I'll correct this week.

I did get the original seats with the bike, so I might have to put them back on to see how they feel. The extra height in the driver's seat may be a big help, but the backrest is almost a must for me at this point.

Hmmm... 6'9"... I never made it. Quit at 6' 8 1/4" while playing ball in college. Not anywhere near that now...gravity sucks.. :)

I never did feel comfortable with a back rest. It crowds me even father forward, and I like to slide back as far as possible. When I'm traveling solo I stick a duffle bag in the passenger seat and use that to 'sofa', otherwise I don't use one... I pack all the soft stuff... socks, T's, etc... on one side so nothing digs into my back. It's really comfortable.

Ride the Corbin without the rest and see how you like it. My '91 has a Corbin with the rest, but I never put it on. The Corbins are a harder seat, and will allow you to scoot back and get a few more inches arm room. The first 1000 miles you swear at them and then you swear by them... If it doesn't work you always have the OEM's.... BTW: ditto on the RSV comfort... Good luck.

Hmmm... 6'9"... I never made it. Quit at 6' 8 1/4" while playing ball in college. Not anywhere near that now...gravity sucks.. :)

I thought we stopped counting fractional inches once we hit about 5' 6" or so.

Thanks for the info!

Iz

There are 3 set screws that came with the seat. I have the longest one in there (1 3/4"), and this makes it perfect against my back. You get to it from the bottom. See pics:

EDIT: I see you want it to go farther back, which the set screw will not do. It only moves it forward for us shorter 6'1" guys.

There are 3 set screws that came with the seat. I have the longest one in there (1 3/4"), and this makes it perfect against my back. You get to it from the bottom. See pics:

EDIT: I see you want it to go farther back, which the set screw will not do. It only moves it forward for us shorter 6'1" guys.

Thanks for the confirmation pics, EXRSA, I'm looking at it the right way.

At this point, I'm considering modifying the square tube to give it an aft offset and a slightly tilted back angle. Ugh, this is definitely one of those times where it really sucks to be tall.