IGNORED

finally hit a deer.

kyle

well it finally happened, getting ready to go to work friday morning last second decision to take the car instead of the bike"thank god", about a 1/2 mile outta town doing 55mph he jumped right in front of me, I barely had time to hit the brakes. All i could think of is thank god I wasn't on the bike because it would have been real bad.

That don't look so good,,, need to do a little fixing maybe I think. Glad you is OK.

If you had taken your scoot you would have missed him, it takes at least 2 seconds to get your helmet on, and he would have been gone by the time you got there.

Glad your Ok,that is my biggest fear about riding in the dark is hitting a deer.Maybe that is why I crank up the stereo so loud on the bike when it is dark to hopefully scare deer away or let them know I am coming.

Kinda wish I'da took my 1 ton van the day I hit one last fall........

Hey, Dano, how you doin'? I'm in Castleton, anything I can do for you? You back to working on those little ReddyKilowatts? Glad you are recovering, biggest thing I ever hit was a German Shepherd, hit him with the right cylinder of a BMW boxer twin R69S back in the 60's. Hoping you are doing good.

A few years ago a German Shepard tore up a couple pairs of pants for me.He had bitten several people around there. I was wearing 16 inch line boots to work then and riding to work and back.. Owner thought it was funny. Those line boots had steel toes. After he met toe he didn't bother anyone anymore. Owner tried to sue. I laughed then. Just got 1200 bucks damage to Ranger by Bambi. All kinds of things out there to run over.

Edited by Yammer Dan

Glad you are ok, rode with my father in law to a birthday party yesterday and saw deer moving at 4:00pm on the edge of the highway , that seemed early to me. I pointed them out to him and he didn't see them. More up the road. He commented that deer only move at sunrise and sunset. I hunt and he doesn't and I told him that I have stuck more deer at noon or mid day than any other time of the day.

Please remember the deer haven't read all those hunting books and I have seen exceptions to every rule I have read. Wildlife is predictably unpredictable. I wonder from those who have had the misfortune of hooking up with a deer while riding, did you learn anything that would help those who have not. I know that each accident has it's own virtues like twisting 2 lane vs 4 lane and did the deer hit you vs did you hit the deer, was it jumping..... looking back what did you do that served you well, what would you do differently ? ? ?

Happy your OK. I had a brush with a family of them last week. They decided to cross the small, winding hilly road I was on at the bottom of a dip. Had I been on the bike, I would have been moving faster and would have been way too close when they crossed. Still waiting for that battery technology that will allow a portable 50,000 Watt laser to be mounted on the front of the bike. Can't hit what evaporates, you know!

Andy

Glad you are ok, rode with my father in law to a birthday party yesterday and saw deer moving at 4:00pm on the edge of the highway , that seemed early to me. I pointed them out to him and he didn't see them. More up the road. He commented that deer only move at sunrise and sunset. I hunt and he doesn't and I told him that I have stuck more deer at noon or mid day than any other time of the day.

Please remember the deer haven't read all those hunting books and I have seen exceptions to every rule I have read. Wildlife is predictably unpredictable. I wonder from those who have had the misfortune of hooking up with a deer while riding, did you learn anything that would help those who have not. I know that each accident has it's own virtues like twisting 2 lane vs 4 lane and did the deer hit you vs did you hit the deer, was it jumping..... looking back what did you do that served you well, what would you do differently ? ? ?

I hit the deer square on his back half, tossed him about 20' off into the ditch, I should have gone down in the ditch and kick him in the head but way to dark and to many barking dogs...lol what served me well was having a great car with all the safety features and crash avoidance stuff. I don't think I could have done anything different.

I wonder from those who have had the misfortune of hooking up with a deer while riding, did you learn anything that would help those who have not.

I've been in 2 accidents with an MC in 250,000 miles or so, and both were deer hits. What I learned from this last one was the deer whistles aren't much good on the fender. I picked them up the next morning and threw them out in the marsh grass. Hopefully the next deer will trip over them and then they would be more usefull.:confused24:

Oh, and I don't ride after dark anymore, because I just can't see as good as I would like to.:doh:

well it finally happened, getting ready to go to work friday morning last second decision to take the car instead of the bike"thank god", about a 1/2 mile outta town doing 55mph he jumped right in front of me, I barely had time to hit the brakes. All i could think of is thank god I wasn't on the bike because it would have been real bad.

Been there done that. I was on my way to hunt him and he attacked first I was going about 70 mph him no so fast.

Deer move around all hours of the day. However, they do come down from the mountains to feed and drink from the streams around dusk and then head back around sunrise., being nocternal and all...

As far as the deer whistles are concerned ... everyone has an opinion...

Mine is, the manual ones don't work at all unless your going over 30 mph and the electronic ones work at all speeds. The only thing they do is get the deers attention. Which is good enough for me. They "do not prevent the deer from jumping out in front of you at the last second" and neither will a Horn, hollering, loud pipes or ju ju beans. As someone said before they are UNPREDICTABLE!

In fact a friend of mine told me a car was in front of him as deer was crossing the road in Pa and started honking his horn as he was impatient. well long story short he stampeded the deer (about 20?) and some of them clamored over his hood and roof to get away... My friend said he never laughed so hard in his life...LOL Rick lyons from skuylhaven, Pa.

Mine happened so quick i didnt have much time to react. I hit the brakes and then left up on them right before the hit so as the forks could absorb some of the impact. So in hindsight I did everything humanly possible (was wearing a full face and protective Joe rocket mesh jacket) and still ended up with two broken ribs. Went out an bought two electronic whistles for my both my wifes and my bike. They work as described and every time we approach deer they are raising their heads to see whats making that high pitched noise... that being said, THEY ARE STILL UNPREDICTABLE SO SLOW DOWN...

Edited by CaptainJoe

Life mostly works out in mysterious ways and I'm sure glad you were not on your bike. So far, over almost 50 years of riding, I have been lucky, but hitting a deer on my bike is one of my fears.