IGNORED

Looking at a 99 Venture...good deal?

texasrider

HI, I'm looking to get back to riding after a several year hiatus. I'm looking at a 99 Venture, and wanted to ask if I could impose on the great members here to tell me if it sounds like a reasonable deal?

It's a 99, wine red over silver, from the original owner. It's got 31K miles. It's got passing lamps, saddle bag rails, luggage rack, turn down pipes, the Harley lights added to the back brake lights, the original seats but an added riders backrest. All the electronics work, including the intercom system. The only two things I know about being wrong are the left wind deflector has a crack, and there is a small leak from the clutch cylinder that appears to be from around the O-ring. The tires and brakes were apparently put on new about 4K miles ago. I'm going to try to attach a couple of pics, I hope I do this right.

Can anyone suggest anything I should check on or make sure of with a 99 RSV? Would this bike for $6000 be a reasonable deal?

One of our members who goes by Juggler on the forum has an identical one for sale in our classified. Loaded to the gills, and comes with a trailer. All for $5000......

He's farther away but maybe you should talk to him. He has been a member for a long time and has kept it in top shape.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?threadid=68837

Joe

Hi Joe!

Thanks for taking time to write! I saw that one in the classifieds, she's gorgeous. I guess my hesitation when I saw it was the mileage, only because it's 60,000 more then the one I've found locally here in North Texas...well, and the distance to the seller.

But you're right, I should talk with the seller. I guess that, to a newbie, almost 100,000 miles on a bike "feels" like a lot of miles.

Thanks again!!

Hi Joe!

Thanks for taking time to write! I saw that one in the classifieds, she's gorgeous. I guess my hesitation when I saw it was the mileage, only because it's 60,000 more then the one I've found locally here in North Texas...well, and the distance to the seller.

But you're right, I should talk with the seller. I guess that, to a newbie, almost 100,000 miles on a bike "feels" like a lot of miles.

Thanks again!!

Not on a Venture. I'd rather have one with higher miles that has been properly maintained than one with lower miles and I don't know the seller or the history.

A couple years ago my buddy bought a 2001 Venture from a member here. It had over 100,000 miles on it. At the time I had a 99 with 45,000 miles on it, and the previous owner had not properly maintained it (didn't check close enough before I bought it...my bad). That Higher mileage bike felt like a new one in comparison to mine when I rode it.

Maintenance is everything.

Good luck with whatever you do, and make sure to join up....best $12 you'll ever spend. Even if you don't own a Venture, the comedy around here is worth it!!!

OH, and the friendships too!

Joe

Dont worry about mileage on a Venture that has been maintained. Ive seen a more than one with 300 000 miles on them. These engines are awesome for durability. Personally if i were you I would look for on that soes not have the typica;l "whine" that is louder on som;e than the others. My 05 kind of drives me nuts. My 03 is not to bad.

As many others have stated: maitenance, maitenance, maitenance. The bike is 13 years old with only 31K on it. That tells me the bike has been sitting a lot. Has the oil been changed even though it was just sitting? $6K for a bike with those low miles is a great deal if it has been maintained properly. Ride the bike and take someone with you who has lots of knowledge when you go to look at it. Negotiate. If in general you're not a good negotiater take someone with you who is. Now, if the bike is worth $6000 it never hurts to try and get it a little cheaper but expect to pay $6000. FYI: Portland, Oregon craigslist.org has a 2008 Venture S with 6700 miles on it with remaining Yamaha warranty until may 2013 for $9950. Smokin' deal! :080402gudl_prv:

June 2008 I bought my '99 with 55k. Even though it wasn't what I paid for it the dealer asked $7200 and was similarly equipped compared to the one you are asking about. I knew the previous owner so I knew more about the bike's history than the dealer. I wouldn't hesitate to look into buying juggler's bike. I think it said 93k miles. Heck it ain't even broke in yet and a trailer to boot. If you don't care about the trailer sell it. I am sure someone on this board would buy it or see if he will deal without the trailer. Just makes the bike that much cheaper either way.

I bought one of my 99's last year for 6,000 with a kendra foldaway trailer which I sold to my brother for his Harley. The bike had 23K on it and a few extras but was very clean and the PO had every maint record since the day it was bought new.

The picture looked like it needs tires. Wide white walls required.

Looks pretty good but hard to see from pictures. I would think Jugglers would be a better deal, not ridden hard but ridden.

You will enjoy either I am sure

Brad