IGNORED

Nuvi Question

A friend is looking at a NUVI gps and has been told that it wont broadcast fm to his bike fm radio. One salesguy has told him that only the weather reports will broadcast thru to his fm radio. he is looking to run some music from an sd card and get his gps voice directions through his speakers.

Can anyone confirm or deny this? Or suggest a gps that will do this for him?

Brian

A friend is looking at a NUVI gps and has been told that it wont broadcast fm to his bike fm radio. One salesguy has told him that only the weather reports will broadcast thru to his fm radio. he is looking to run some music from an sd card and get his gps voice directions through his speakers.

Can anyone confirm or deny this? Or suggest a gps that will do this for him?

Brian

NUVI external speaker cable to the Aux plug on a 2ndGen.....???

I have one and it will broadcast to the FM radio on the bike. The problem is that you end up having to change FM station as you travel to keep a weak station, as you friend may know the FM signal is very weak and you have to find the right channel. I just plug mine into the AUX port and listen to the SD card that way and you still get the voice instructions from the GPS.

It will broadcast FM to any radio with an FM receiver .... It broadcast both the spoken nav. instructions and any media you are playing.

Some of the models will also bluetooth to a bluetooth equipped car radio.

A better solution is hard-wiring Aux out to Aux in, but that's not always easy. Mine simply plugs straight into the Autocom intercom.

Nuvi 765T has an internal mp3 player with an SD card. They have been discontinued and Garmin no longer makes one with the mp3 anymore, BUT, you can find them on Ebay refurbished with warranties for a decent price. Plug right into the jack next to the awesome cassette deck and set your audio to AUX. I have a 1490T, no mp3 jack. I opened it up and added a pigtail with a female audio jack. I tapped into the speaker wires. Not a project for the faint of heart. It does come through the headset and the speakers, BUT, the only way to listen to music is with a "Y" connector going to an Ipod or othe MP3 device. Downfall is when the GPS talks, it will not override the MP3, they both will play at the same time. For me, I do not listen to alot of music on the bike so it is a non issue for me. This setup works for me because even if music is playing and the GPS starts talking, I look at the screen to see where I am supposed to be. I have a bad habit, if I can't hear it, I will blow right past my exit or miss the turn. So I just wanted to be able to hear it when it goes off to kind of remind me of where I am going. Not too fond of the smaller screen on the 765T. I like the larger one on the 1490T. So for me switching is not an option. I like the set-up I have. If Garmin decides to make one like the 765T the same size as the 1490, I will buy one, otherwise, nada.

The 765t has an external mic port. I didnt know this until Buddy Rich told me and I had the unit almost a year. :whistling: I would have to give the 765t a excellent rating for what I need. Works good on the bike and I can take it in the car too. I do listen to MP3 and nav and tried to use the bluetooth in the car on a trip but didnt work so good. I think part of it was I was running the nav thru the FM at the time and a call came in so there might have been some feedback to the caller as he said it was hard to hear. Might have been mic just couldnt pick up that well that far on the windshield. I think the screen is plenty big.

Garmin probably found out they were loosing sales on the high dollar Zumos to these types of units so they quit making anything that had MP3 and bluetooth unless its in the "motorcycle specific" units.

The 765t has an external mic port. I didnt know this until Buddy Rich told me and I had the unit almost a year. :whistling: I would have to give the 765t a excellent rating for what I need. Works good on the bike and I can take it in the car too. I do listen to MP3 and nav and tried to use the bluetooth in the car on a trip but didnt work so good. I think part of it was I was running the nav thru the FM at the time and a call came in so there might have been some feedback to the caller as he said it was hard to hear. Might have been mic just couldnt pick up that well that far on the windshield. I think the screen is plenty big.

Garmin probably found out they were loosing sales on the high dollar Zumos to these types of units so they quit making anything that had MP3 and bluetooth unless its in the "motorcycle specific" units.

lol ... So it does.

Forgive me, I was looking on the unit and the mic port is actually on the mount.

The 765T is a superb unit. I love mine .... it does pretty much everything the Zumo 550 does, without the $700 price tag.

One advantage the Zumo has is that you can choose which Bluetooth Profile to send which has advantages in some setups.

Can you use and external mic on a Nuvi 760?

Yes, here's a list of the units that have a "Mic In" either on the unit or its mount.

As long as the unit has bluetooth then you can also install my cable to talk on the phone while riding using your existing headset mic.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=1445

Hit the "compatible devices " tab under the pic

Garmin does still make GPS units that play mp3s.

The rec. for the 765 I can support. I have one and it's excellent.

Really, what model is it? Because last time I went to their site, I did not see any models and when I talked to Garmin support on the phone, they told me they phased those out. So I would like to know what model still has the MP3 player with an output jack.

Yes, here's a list of the units that have a "Mic In" either on the unit or its mount.

As long as the unit has bluetooth then you can also install my cable to talk on the phone while riding using your existing headset mic.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=1445

Hit the "compatible devices " tab under the pic

Why would you want to talk on your phone while riding a motorcycle? What's next? Texting?

Why would you want to talk on your phone while riding a motorcycle? What's next? Texting?

I made a call to the hamburger/ice cream place while still on the slab so they wouldnt close before we would get there, as we were running about 5 minutes late......NOW THATS AN EMERGENCY!!!!!:smile5:

Brian

I have had a 765 for a few years now. I am on my third, the USB power connector gave up the ghost and was replaced on the first two. Now it no longer recognizes the aux port so I use the FM broadcast option. Once I am out of school and able to make longer rides I may replace it, but it was good while it lasted.

I have a Nuvi 350 and a 780, both have MP3 players, neither work too well on my ham radio with aux input, must be the phasing of the audio, if I run it off the battery it is loud and proud, connect to my harness and it gets weak.Possibly a patch cable to reverse the phasing, eh Buddy?

Your probably not going to be making a bunch of calls but if you wanna play hooky one day and go riding tell work they can call you on your cell. You get a call and you can keep on riding and answer all the questions they got for you at work and they won't even know your on a bike. :no-no-no::rotf:

I have a Nuvi 350 and a 780, both have MP3 players, neither work too well on my ham radio with aux input, must be the phasing of the audio, if I run it off the battery it is loud and proud, connect to my harness and it gets weak.Possibly a patch cable to reverse the phasing, eh Buddy?

You got a shortwave on your bike ? :mo money:

Your probably not going to be making a bunch of calls but if you wanna play hooky one day and go riding tell work they can call you on your cell. You get a call and you can keep on riding and answer all the questions they got for you at work and they won't even know your on a bike. :no-no-no::rotf:

I will pass on that. My bike is my sanctuary. The only place that I can be totally unreachable as long as I am on it. No calls, nobody's bull. Just me listening to the tunes coming out of the pipes.