IGNORED

Motorcycle or Car..Which has greater chance of Accident

GolfVenture

Something else to consider, many accidents go unreported. A simple fender bender involving two cars is technically an accident, but it won't be added to any statistics if the drivers work out the details without getting the cops involved. A simple fender bender with a car and a bike most likely is an accident that will involve cops and EMS since the chances of the rider being hurt and/or the bike being wrecked is pretty high.

Here is an interesting link to a WebBikeWorld article that had a summary of the statistics from a 2001 report. To make a longer story shorter - quote: "Per mile traveled in 1998, a motorcyclist is approximately 16 times more likely to die in a crash than an automobile occupant. And 3x (times) as likely to be injured." Not the best odds but they can be mitigated as stated in the rest of the report.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcycle-Safety/crash.htm

Simply stated - pay attention at all times, stay sober and wear a helmet!

Andy

Everything shared is good, but still like to know pecentage wise when I ride or drive what is the likelyness of getting in an accident. I'm guessing there is no stat on that.

Statistians seems to keep track that one is more likely to get in a car accident than flying. Well I'm not really sure if that is correct but that is what I seem to recall.

I am guessing that the statistics don't take into consideration how much experience a rider has. I know that the rate of accients among new and inexperienced riders is so much greater in the State of Oregon that the are implementing a new mandatory Motorcycle Safety Course to anyone that wants to get a motorcycle endorsement. I personally don't think that it is a bad idea at all. I would even be willing to take a class if they required it every five years or so. I think that it is very useful information and also reminds us of how vunerable we are without the protection of a cage. I really hope that this new requirement saves the lives and reduces the injuries to all riders of any experience level and especailly to those new riders.

I also think that the Department of Motor Vehicles could do a much better job educating drivers about sharing the road. I could go on forever on this topic so lets keep I will try and keep it simple. Drivers need to be required to take refresher classes periodically. Currently in the state of Oregon you can get your drivers license at the age of 16 and never have to be retested or evaluated again. This is a problem.

Truth is when I am in my cage i feel safe. I take risks I wouldn't dream of on two wheels. I ride a motorcycle so I am always extra cautious when changing lanes and when near motorcycles. Bottom line is we all get comfortable when behind the wheel and I think we could all use a little reminder every once in a while just how fortunate we are that we haven't been one of the statistics.

I am far more relaxed and less focused on some things in my F-150 than when I'm on my bike, and therefore more likely to be victimized by another driver when driving than riding. I am totally focused and locked in on everything around me when on the bike, to the point of it sometimes being not as enjoyable as it should be. A good example is when I'm passing an 18-wheeler on the interstate - - in my truck, I don't give it a second thought, but on the bike, I'm exercising extreme caution and getting past it as quickly as possible. It's just a different mindset for me on the bike. For that reason, I actually feel safer on my bike, as I am in more "accident avoidance mode" all the time, and feel that I can get out of trouble faster than I get in it.

Nothing statistical about this - - just my own personal opinion.

I am far more relaxed and less focused on some things in my F-150 than when I'm on my bike, and therefore more likely to be victimized by another driver when driving than riding. I am totally focused and locked in on everything around me when on the bike, to the point of it sometimes being not as enjoyable as it should be. A good example is when I'm passing an 18-wheeler on the interstate - - in my truck, I don't give it a second thought, but on the bike, I'm exercising extreme caution and getting past it as quickly as possible. It's just a different mindset for me on the bike. For that reason, I actually feel safer on my bike, as I am in more "accident avoidance mode" all the time, and feel that I can get out of trouble faster than I get in it.

:sign yeah that: That's the way I think. I am way more inclined to be careful on a bike; however, since I drive a motorcycle, I am now a way better driver. Waite a minute!!! driving a motorcycle should be mandatory!!! :detective:

I am as you Bob, thanks for the post. I feel the same way. A good comparison when passing on the interstate. My family says that that it would have to be a car because there are a lot more of them and like someone else already mentioned, younger drivers.

I also would say that a large number of the motorcycle accidents take place with those on the crotch rockets rather than the type of bikes most of us here ride. I have seen some pretty gruesome wrecks on yahoo with the crotch rockets. I also have experienced some of the young and older riders being sow offs and almost loose their lives. I saw one go into a death wobble and only the good Lord good have brought him out, and he did.

Same here, just my humble opinion.

Fuzzy

I would completely oppose mandatory re-testing of motorcyclists if the same standard was not applied to car drivers.

The driving standard of cars and pick-ups in Tulsa is appalling, and the Legislature pointing a finger at bikers adds substance to the myth that motorcycles are dangerous, and to be singled out.

If that proposal were permitted, what would be next?

The facts here are fairly simple. Driving licenses are too easy to get, too easy to keep and the testing standard is shockingly low.

The penalties for dangerous driving should really hurt, and drivers really need to be educated about road safety.

Driving while drunk, and driving without insurance should carry mandatory sentences that hurt.

I'd start at 500 hours community service "every Saturday and Sunday for 10 hours a day" - few exceptions.

Jail for those who don't comply.

I have heard that the average car driver has a serious accident , on average, about every Seven Years. ??? ( not sure where I heard that )

I never had a serious accident, car, or motorcycle, Hmmm , so what does that mean ??

:confused: