IGNORED

1984 venture linked brake system

Really good info on the brake systems. Hoping some one can save me some time on where to start. One clue is I had some brakes not as much as I would like. When I store my bike for the winter I would lose my rear brake and linked front brake. I realize some seals must be leaking right? Does my rear master need to be rebuilt and can I get a kit.I did remove the plunger assy and took out the proportioning valve trying to understand how it works. I read a thread and now understand.I do very similar work with oil pressure ,valves ,seals ect.The seals in the valve seem to be worn can I get those seals. I love this bike and would love to stop well and still keep the bike stock if possible.

Hi Jay, I build and test flight control systems myself, a senior electrohydraulic tech at Moog, Inc. The function of the proportioning valve is two fold. First, it requires a certain pressure buildup to overcome the spring rate before any oil can flow to the front brake. This means the rear brake starts to close and brake slightly before the front so you don't nosedive as much. Secondly it is an oriface which regulates flow rate and pressure so that the front brake won't brake harder than the rear brake. That being said I do not know of a source for the seals, so unless it is torn, you have no recourse than trying to recondition what you have. You can try soaking them in solvent and wiping them and then baking them for a short while, but as you know, once a seal has deformed, it is almost impossible to recondition them. I would concentrate on your rear master, the front and rear caliper, and the anti dive plunger. MK1's brakes are anemic at best, converting them to MK2 is a lot of work but worth it in the end...

Will someone here tell me the advantage to delinking the brakes? I have already done the progressive spring upgrade and removed the anti dive feature on my 86 VR?

I like the idea of the linked system, but have some of the the same issues as Jay A has.

Upgrades I have already done. Fuse box upgrade, aftermarket TCI ( that thing works great)

progressive fork springs, block off plates, and vented Clearview windshield.

Planned upgrades LED lights, starter ground and cable upgrade. Although I am sure that I will find more to do as I monitor this site.:confused07:

My concern with linked brakes, as I have mentioned before, is that you always are applying a front brake when stopping. There are some occasions when the use of a front brake is not really advantageous, such as in gravel or at an oil soaked intersection in wet weather.

I am 'old school' and just like having control of both ends independent of each other.

Gary

I can't stand the linked brakes and plan on buying skydoc's kit when funds are available. I don't like having to use so much foot to get stopping power. I've ridden my whole life with my right hand providing the stopping power, want to keep it that way.

If everything is working okay, it's personal taste.

If you swap between other bikes that have normal brakes, you'll find the linked brakes horrible, but now that modern bikes are getting linked brakes and ABS, we might to see the opposite with just old-timers used to operating brakes independently.

Linked brakes are supposed to be more idiot proof, which benefits most of us when we get tired. De-linked brakes give you more immediate control. I haven't heard of any back-back tests on stopping distance, but I prefer de-linked.

I refuse to comment any more on this thread.

Gee, I feel the opposite about delinking, I wish the 2nd gen was linked, that way the rear tire would probably not have as great a tendancy to kick out if you hit just the rear. I guess it's all just personal taste,,,

I'm with you Bob. Linked 2Gens brakes might have solved the rear brake lock up. But... I ride both style braking systems, and really can't complain, or get too cerebral about why one is better than the other. They both stop their bikes very well. I did take care of the inheirant weak front brakes on the '83 but never delinked. Never felt it was needed. I also don't feel it's neccesary to have brakes that will stop a run-away locomotive. Brakes can be over-kill...

My :2cents:

Bongo Bob said, " This means the rear brake starts to close and brake slightly before the front so you don't nosedive as much."

If I'm not mistaken, the opposite is true...the front is actuated first to prevent rear wheel lock up.

Or am I wrong?

Bongo Bob said, " This means the rear brake starts to close and brake slightly before the front so you don't nosedive as much."

If I'm not mistaken, the opposite is true...the front is actuated first to prevent rear wheel lock up.

Or am I wrong?

In Bobs last post he doesn't get close to saying anything like you discribed.... Unless it's from an even earlier post. In that case you might want to use the 'quote' feature to avoid any confusion.....

Ummm,he is refrerring to my first post! I would have to look at the proportioning valve again, I was going by memory of how it worked. I thought it triggered the rears a few milliseconds prior to the front but I have been known to be wrong. No, I am NOT pulling Goldie's brakes apart to look at it again...

Didn't mean to start a pi$$ing match about whether linked is good or bad, just expressed my opinion and preferences, as stated, in my second post...