IGNORED

Oil queston.. ease up guys ... I'm talkin' 2 cycle

Snaggletooth

Ok, I got draggd into a conversation today about something I haven't been involved with for years. I don't even own a weed wacker or a chain saw let alone a dirt bike these days so I wasn't much help to the coworker.

He recently bought a used, new to him Yamaha dirt bike from a dealer. He is having a ball with it but after talking to the service people at the dealer he came looking for me. Ya know, because I ride a bike.

But he had been talking to them about 2 cycle oil for the bike. They told him he could ONLY use Yamaha or Polaris oil in the bike because ANYTHING else would gum up the motor.

Now with that statement alone I would call BS by the dealer. From my experience, and I worked for several years in the lawn mower repair shops when I was younger find that info incorrect. As long as he uses the proper ratio for oil/fuel he should be fine. I gave him the only advice I gave any customer. Correct ratio and run the fuel empty before storing or changing oil types or brands.

But I told him I'd ask around. I know some guys. :whistling:

Comments?

Mike

Edited by Snaggletooth

Not all two stroke motors or oil is the same and depending on the type of two stroke motor it is would change my answer.

In my Polaris jet ski and both of my boats ( Evinrude E-Tec's) I run a synthetic 2 stroke oil ( low ash) because that is what they are programmed for and take. The oil is direct injected onto the bearing surface and only a small amount. Here you also have to be careful to use the correct two stroke oil. On my jon boat I use it year round and use a factory 50 blend that the motor is programmed to use. For cold use they recommend this oil over the 100% synthetic. On my wife's deck boat it is programmed for 100% synthetic and that is what I use based on use. I can put the 100% in the motor programmed for 50 but not the other way around.

On older two strokes, the ones with VRO's, you can bypass the VRO and pre-mix ( here synthetic is a total waste) and most two stroke oil is fine.

I have scattered a powerhead using the correct oil on a motor out of warranty and BRP has still stood behind it. I have also seen people using the wrong oil scatter under warranty and it ending up costing them a lot of jack.

Personally I don’t see saving $10.00 on oil only to spend $2000.00 to fix a motor.

I have scattered a powerhead using the correct oil on a motor out of warrentee and BRP has still stood behind it. I have also seen people using the wrong oil scatter under warrenty and it ending up costing them a lot of jack.

Thanks for the input guys. I was talking to the guy today and he's been concerned after what they told him. BUT..... in the same conversation the dealer parts guy also told him to buy the oil somewhere else. Said they charged too much!!

Honestly from a dealer ....... How refreshing.

• 2 weeks later...

Just want to chime in with....I borrowed a 2 cycle tiller from a friend. He told me the mixture to use and I said that is fine since I have a lot of the Mercury TCW-3 oil left over. Man he about had a heart attack. YOU don't mix 2 cycle outboard oil to use in a air-cooled engine.

How about your thoughts on this. BTW I did go buy some "expensive" Stihl brand oil for the tiller.

MIKE AKA UTURN

:Venture:

Just want to chime in with....I borrowed a 2 cycle tiller from a friend. He told me the mixture to use and I said that is fine since I have a lot of the Mercury TCW-3 oil left over. Man he about had a heart attack. YOU don't mix 2 cycle outboard oil to use in a air-cooled engine.

How about your thoughts on this. BTW I did go buy some "expensive" Stihl brand oil for the tiller.

MIKE AKA UTURN

There are a lot of air cooled outboards out there. What's he got to say about that.... I also use it in my weedeater and chainsaw.... So far so good.....

Like with all things keep your reciepts! In the case that you have a warranty claim you must keep the reciepts for all maintenance items purchased. Make sure that whatever oil you decide to use meets or exceeds the manufacturers standards. If not you could very likely be on your own in the event that something happens.

Are some oils better than others? Absolutely. Should you use a full synthetic or synthetic blend oil in your machine? Only if it meets or exceeds the manufacturer recommendations. If Yamaha states that you need to use full sythetic oil I suggest using full synthetic oil. You don't have to use Yama-Lube though. They can't make you buy Chevron gas can they? No; but they do recommend a fuel rating to use. If they say your machine requires Premium fuel then use Premium fuel with the correct octane ratings. Same goes for oil.

Motocross 2 cycle engines run at 32:1, NOT 50:1. Some oils are better than others, in that they keep the power valve in the exhaust from plugging and sticking so much. Bel-Ray is a good oil. There are several others also. I raced motocross for several years, and Bel-Ray was my favorite. Suzuki CCI oil is great too.