IGNORED

RSV shaft drive to chain drive

adventurer 08

As I project bike, I could see a purpose. There's a lot of horses being eaten up by the shaft drive.

I think it was be relative easy to find a conversion for a V-max unit and use it to convert a Royal Star.

There was an article in Cycle World magazine some time back (Years?) about a guy who hopped up a V-Max (Thought the bike was too slow?) and converted it to chain drive. If memory serves it was fairly involved and included a modification to or replacement of the swing arm. It would be interesting but I can't see any worthwhile advantages other than to be able to say that it's different.

Andy

The Two reasons that I would swap a VMAX or Venture to chain drive would be, #1 the loss of power from the Final Drive, and #2 Once you reach the 150+ Horse Power threshold, the stock drive shaft and Final Drive can't handle the extra power any more! Usually, when the Vmax boys hop up their VMAX's, the next thing to fail is the Clutch, then the drive shaft or final drive. If you wanted to install a Yamaha V4 engine in a small buggy or quad, a chain drive would be the way to go, but frankly, any of the inline, big bore bike motors would give you an easier install, (they are already chain drive) and gobs more power. To install a chain drive on an RSV, you would not be able to use the stock swing arm any more, and an extended swing arm would put the rear tire beyond the rear fender. Check with John at PCW, "crazy" is normal to this motorhead! He's "Da Man" when it comes to all things VMAX.:thumbsup2:

Earl