IGNORED

Differential Breather Plug on '89 Venture

My breather plug is seeping on my '89....I noticed in the shop manual this plug can be replaced.....anyone done this before? Can the plug be pulled out w/ a pair of pliers or the like, or is there some special tool required? Considering how tight it feels, I wonder if I can get it our w/o breaking off a part of the plug.

Thanks in advance,

Greg

Nope, the final drive oil is at the appropriate level. I just figured maybe these things wear over time. Getting hot, getting cold, usual wear & tear.

Actually, seeping is a bit severe. More like misting, just around where the plug contacts the differential. It's noticeable when the dust & dirt collect in the oil. Other than that, my diff is pretty much oil tight. I'd just never had this happen with this bike, so I thought maybe something was amiss.

So, my question, still remains...can these be popped out easily or is it a major pain to get them out?

Thanks for your reply,

Greg

I would be more concerned with what gear oil you are using in that final drive! It is impossible to overfill the final drive on a First Gen. MKII Motorcycle. Some oil mist around the vent is normal. Anytime you have oil collecting around an opening, dirt and dust is not going to be to far behind. Yamaha makes a fine Hypoid gear oil, I use the BelRay Products. The final drive is vented so internal pressure doesn't force the gear oil out of the seals. Changing the vent is not going to stop the oil mist from exiting the final drive, after all, it is a "vent".:confused24:

Earl

Appreciate all the advice....the plug is still available, I have one on hand. The only reason, I'm replacing it is the original must've gotten hit by a rock or some other road hazard, as it has a big dent in it. Since I'd never noticed it misting before, & because of the dent, I assumed the hit it took may have compromised it's function, therefore, needed replacement.

I'll break out the shop manual & see if I can post a pic of it for those interested. I'll do that later this evening, I'm at work now.

Hope the internet police aren't monitoring my "non-business" related postings. :)

Greg