New here. I do rebuild a 1977 Yamaha XS750 a few years ago but had to sell it. I am now looking at a 85 venture at a dealership new here. He is asking $2450 but told him I would offer him less and he seemed open to the idea. This would be my first larger bike.

My question is, what should I be aware of as far as issues with these bikes. I have seen stuff on the 2nd gear and it scares me a bit. Not enough to get away from the bike yet but..... The bike looks to be in nice condition and the old owner left his contact info so that he could be contacted regarding the bike but I am just trying to do some homework. Going back to look at in this week and hope to have some better ideas. I think I am going to start off around $1600. KBB list the resale at $1995 in excellent condition and although it is in good condition it is not excellent.

Any help would be great. Thanks.

The 2nd gear issue was fixed in 85 but not sure when. I have that number somewhere. Someone may have it quicker. I have a 85 with 2nd going out. You need the serial number to check this. You might show him info on 2nd going out but don't show him when it is fixed:whistling: Then lower offer. The 85s are one of the best. Last of the meanest with the 1200 engine.

The 2nd gear problem was fixed in 1985 after serial number 0001413... so check that number (left side, low on the engine, just behind the rear jugs on the case).

The 85 has a few more locks than other models with two acting like helmet holders on the trunk mount rack, one way they release the helmet lock, the other way they release the trunk for portability, so it's nice if one key fits everything.

Electrical issues are fairly routine on older bikes but most of our repairs are easily accomplished with cleaning connections and resoldering cold solder joints.

Welcome to Ventureriders

the big deal is the 2nd gear issue, but it was fixed by Yamaha about half way thru the 85 model year but I cant remember the VIN number where the change was made. (Ill look around and see if I can find it) If its above this number you should be ok, if its below you might have an issue.

85s are kind of a unique animal as they share some parts with the 83 and 84, and some with the 86 -93.

The water pumps still had the plastic impeller in if its stock and may break down over time, and you may have to do some minor soldering on the Class Air ride controller and I would defintely put in progressive springs in if it hasnt been done already. The progressive springs are probably the best things you can do for your bike for under a hundred bucks and its fairly easy to do.

I have an 85 as well and like mine a lot , feel free to ask if you have any questions, I am not a mechanic by any stretch, but I will try to answer your questions.

Brian

Thanks for the help. I will get the #'s and see where they fall. The bike looks to be in really nice shape. With the prior owner offering a talk on the bike makes me feel a bit better as well. Just see how it works out from here and of course with it being 10 degrees out and snow a "test" is out of the question. Dealer did say he will offer a 30 day warranty starting in the spring when I ride out of his shop. :fingers-crossed-emo

I ride an '85 and I bought it from a dealer 6 or 7 years ago. I knew nothing about the bike, issues, or history. All I knew was I was comfortable on it during the test ride, and it had options I was looking for. Radio, fairing, trunk, side bags, air conditioning....

I have invested time and money into my Venture Royale and I have to say it's the best purchase I've ever made. Never a regret and it only gets better with every ride.

Loving life on my Venture!

Thomas :happy34:

IMG-20110926-00165.jpg

I bought an '84 a few years back and have no regrets at all. The shock problems you read about on the 2nd gens don't exist on 1st gens, MKI or MKII. Neither does the whine they grumble about. The nature of the beast is straight cut gears so there will always be some noise.

If the vin# is above 1413 you should be golden. If not be wary. The problem seems to manifest itself around 60,000 on most bikes.

And with the '85 and up you have the bigger luggage.

As said, you will run across some electrical problems but most all the fixes are addressed hear and can be done yourself.

If you aren't afraid to dive in with a wrench you will have great bike. But be prepared to do most the work yourself. Shops aren't real thrilled with working on the older bikes. We of course thrive in it.

I have an 85 that has about 57,000 miles on that I need to sell. It is serial number 5200 or so and the trans is not an issue. I have the plastic off of it as my son and I were working on the carbs and TCI. I have another TCI, but I need to get the diodes replaced and I already have them. I just don't want to try to do them now with just one eye.

RandyA

2nd gear is not a deal breaker... If you are mechanically inclined and not afraid to get a bit dirty you can do the fix for around $200 (washer and gaskets etc..) Carl and I did mine last winter and while it was out we changed all the "O" rings and gaskets that cannot be changed with the engine in the bike. SOOOOOO happy now. Get everything you need to do the job from Skydoc.. Great guy to talk to about what is needed.

I also had some help from Dano and Dingy. This is the best place around and worth every nickel of the $12.00 fee...

Anyhow if you can get a good deal on it and even if the serial number is before the fix date it is an AWESOME bike and you will love it.. If you do the fix before it starts jumping out then you will have no damage to gears etc so all you need is the washer and gaskets.

Good Luck

One more problem that becomes aparent when proper maintenance isn't done is the rear shaft drive coupling and shaft. Just like the XS-750's & 1100's (BTW, I had a 78 XS750 with bags and fairing) on the 83-85 Ventures, Yamaha told you to grease the rear coupling with the zerk fitting on the shaft drive unit. That didn't work at all, and on all those bikes, you have to pull the shaft drive unit every 12K or so and re-grease the coupling by hand with molybenum disulfide grease. If this isn't done, about 50-60K, the coupling wears out and the bike acts like it's in neutral all the time.

Is it a Royale or a Standard??

Frank D.