IGNORED

SAC museum

w.steve wells

Just west on Omaha on I-80. Hard to miss with the missles out front. And right next to the Mahoney State Park. A nice place to take a break.

Two of the best attractions in the area.

http://www.sacmuseum.org/

Mike

Never did stop there last year, not with travelling during the heat wave. We were past there, before opening hours after leaving the Omaha Motel 6, in the early morning.

My last assignment was at SAC HQ at Offutt AFB...I had not heard about the museum...and want, very badly, to see it! You have given me another destination!:thumbsup2:

Don't know how long ago that was but years back the museum was on the NE corner of the base. Pretty much a parking lot for planes. The new one they built out west of town is top end stuff and all indoors. Even the restoration hanger is there.

The project of moving the planes across town was a show in itself.

I got to admit it is pretty cool walking into the front entrance and you're looking up at the nose of the 71-Blackbird hanging over your head.

Mike

It is a great place to stop and Mahoney State Park is awesome. My nephew works at there and it is a great place to eat. The area west and south of Omaha has quite a few nice parks. Also, Desoto Bend National Park north of Omaha at Blair, Nebraska is a must stop!

I forget the name of it but theres a pretty cool museum in Ga off I 95 just north of the Savhanna exit. I know there are probably tons of them. I'm just an airplane nut at heart I guess. I worked on c-141 cargo jets for 20yr. Cant help it. I need to make it back to Wright Pat to do that one right, last time I only had like 4hr.

There is a good museum in Fort Walton Beach area on the back side of Eglin, dedicated to Air Force weapons and weapons development, pretty good selection of aircraft on static display, SR71 included. Also have Thomhawk cruise missile hanging in the rafters and the largest conventional weapon (bomb) ever made, 10,000 lb hard bomb, GAU-8 30mm cannon and my personal favorite, the M61A1 20mm cannon.

http://www.afarmamentmuseum.com/index.shtml

http://www.afarmamentmuseum.com/images/page_pics/vietnamwar_m61.jpgM-61 20mm. Vulcan Cannon

when you go to Wright Patterson, try to arrive early as some of the display have been moved to another hanger and it takes a shuttle to go there and it fills up fast I was told. This hanger is where the XB70 is stored at I was told about 3 years ago.

SAC museum is also great. Was there a couple of times and it is always interesting also. There is also a small museum at Ellsworth air force base outside of Rapid City, SD. They have a small collection of planes there also open to the public.

Enjoy..

Rick F.

• 4 weeks later...