IGNORED

Carb rubber intakes

I had a 2000 Venture and when it had about 80,000 miles Yamaha gave me a new set because of visible heat cracking......When I took them off they were still very smooth and no cracks showing on inside. The reason for this post is I have 93,000 on Midnight Venture with heat cracks showing on the outside......OK friends what the real deal here?...JK

Seems to me every bike I have owned or seen up close that has a few years on it have the heat checking. It only seeems to be the outer surface and rarely seems to pnetrate right through. As you noted with your old ones when you inspect the inside they are usually OK. Only once did I actually have one split right through. That was on my 1975 canam 250. It caused my bikes RPM's to stay up when I backed off on the throttle.

The ones on my '84 looked really nasty when I got it. I pulled them and inspected them and found the insides to be smooth and clear. The bike only had 40,000 miles on it but it was better than two decades old. Put them back on and made sure they sealed and they are still on there today.

Unless the bike is showing signs of a vacumn leak I would not worry to much about it.

Mike

The ones on my '84 looked really nasty when I got it. I pulled them and inspected them and found the insides to be smooth and clear. The bike only had 40,000 miles on it but it was better than two decades old. Put them back on and made sure they sealed and they are still on there today.

Unless the bike is showing signs of a vacumn leak I would not worry to much about it.

Mike

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that:

They can show cracking .but not be leaking. I was told by a Yamaha rep if you can sync em they are not leaking. You can do a visual check, start the bike let warm up, dip your index finger in a of glass of water rub your wet finger on the cracks if you see bubbles on intakes there leaking:080402gudl_prv:

The boots are a sandwich of rubber outside/inside with a steel lining. Mine have been cracked on the outside for years and many miles. Never a problem.

If you are concerned, spray some carb cleaner at the cracks and see if the RPM changes. If not, no problem. If it does, they need replaced.

RR