IGNORED

Slave Cylinder

usedcyclesales

Lost my clutch shifting into third yesterday got lucky and road it home in second ( about 2 miles) I beleive it' the SLAVE CYLINDER only becuse I can't find any leaks all lines seem good . I is there any where on this site that has Pictures so that I know what to look for when I pull the cylinder It's only $20 for spring and new seals so I figured I would do that first and go from there I did bleed it but got just enough clutch to get into neutral so I could push it into garage. ANY advice comments etc... would be greatly appreciated. Oh 1999 Venture and it was going bad the other day and I bled it and got about 150 miles and this happened.

If it's not losing fluid then an internal seal has gone, as you suspect, in either the master or slave cylinders.

Never done that job, but I would be looking at rebuilding both, especially if the cost is reasonable. The job is done then and you can ride worry-free.

See this is where I told you the service manual lacks man. I just looked it up and its sort of vague. Looks as though you have to drain the oil out to even get to it. So I'm with Prarie, I'd maybe put a vacum bleeder on it if you got one. I would try bleeding it out good first. Its cheap and you get to check off one of the troubleshooting boxs before tearing something apart. Make a bleeder bottle out of some clear tubing that will fit the bleeder and run it into the top of an old oil bottle. Put the bottle lower than the bleeder or high enough the flow has to force fluid out and the fluid in the clear tubing will stop air from comming back in. It will let you see if there is any air in the system. Slow and steady.

Before you get too deep into it, remove the clutch cylinder fill cap. Make sure you cover the bike with a plastic garbage bag first. Now, using a turkey baster, draw out the brake fluid until its down to the bottom. See if there is any debris down there. There is usually a black buildup in a corner at the bottom and that will contaminate any fresh fluid in a short time. Clean the chamber out real good, being careful not to get any into the orfices, refill, bleed and try it out.

Try flushing and bleeding first.

I agree with Kevin here, do a fluid change 1st and then see what it feels like. Some may not agree with what I'm going to say here, so take it with a grain of salt. I will never try to rebuild a slave cylinder, unless it's flawlessly clean inside and not 1 pit in it, it will more than likely leak if you try to rebuild it. The kit is about $20 or so, a new one will run you about $70. I just put one on my '86, they are basically identical, I want the peace of mind knowing that it's not going to fail because either I didn't install the kit well enough or the inside wasn't in good enough shape....

:2cents:

as few have already said try bleeding and flushing completly. My clutch did this also and I thought I lost my clutch. Bled it and flushed till it was clean and my clutch came back to better than it was when I bought it. This has happend twice to me and both times I was pulling the trailer.

Good luck as I am of no help to you on how to replace the slave

David