IGNORED

Question from Neighbor

Yammer Dan

I got a new neighbor that wants to be freindly. Must not have talked to others yet. Or maybe he isn't a Doper. I can only hope. Any way he asked how to keep Corrosion from happening between Steel and aluminum. I know this was discussed at length on here but brain don't want to pull that file!!

Heavy plastic or plastic gasket material placed between the aluminium and steel so they do not contact each other and using stainless steel fastners usually works the best. Stainless steel shim stock instead of plastic gasket material can also be used.

That is exactly what Land Rover do between the body and chassis.

They also add something like PTFE between panels where steel and aluminum might come into contact.

Make a friend out of this new neighbor before the other neighbors find him.

Since he is looking to make something that will get hot and be used for food, most of the good suggestions above just went out the window.

Next best idea I can think of is stainless pads between the dissimilar metals and stainless hardware. stainless and aluminum are still dissimilar metals but not as bad as steel to aluminum.

If they are in water or moist environment, even with a rubber barrier between them, they will form a battery and the softer metal will be sacrificed, that's why boat motors have sacrificial zinc's. We have had similar issues with our boat docks and must maintain them. The zinc will slow the corrosion but not completely stop it and will need to be maintained.

Guest tx2sturgis
......he asked how to keep Corrosion from happening between Steel and aluminum

Keep the the pieces in different piles.

:whistling:

as mentioned earlier, he can alodine the aluminum and then apply paint to all sides of the aluminum and the steel with out door "grill paint" that is made to withstand the heat.

If the parts will not be in the heated area of his smoker, then paint alone will work. He can also fay seal between the two parts with a light coating and by covering the entire surface with a silicone sealant then sandwitch both parts together to ensure there is enough squeeze out around all the edges which will seal it from the elements.