IGNORED

Tank Dent

usedcyclesales

I know that the dry ice method will work on automobiles and that is basically the same thing that you are talking about. I've heard that it is usually not effective on motorcycles though because the steel is a much heavier gauge. I certainly don't think you would lose anything by trying it but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

I have also heard of the dry ice method and seen a vidio but have no personal experience. I used to be a bodyman back in the day but have not practiced for many a moon.

Tanks are of a thicker gage so not sure if dry ice is that effective.

I have used air on some tanks after plugging all the inlets and outlets. go slow with this and use a regulator.

I had one tank that I had the dent pulled out with a pin spot welder but it required painting.

Pushing from the inside out I am afraid will leave marks but a lot of things have changed since I was doing it.

Tapping on the preasure point with preasure put on the dent either internal or external will help.

Good luck with your project.

BUBBER

Unfortunately for me the dent on top of my tank is still there.. Tried like 4 cans of the compressed air turning upside down and freezing the dent after I had heated it up with a heat gun.. $20 spent and nothing happened.... wait, I do believe that it caused condensation to form on the inside of the tank and made the bike run like poo until i did a seafoam treatment (another $9) and a full tank of gas.

I too think the steal may be to thick for this method.. Thought about buying one of those Dent King devices and trying..

May just leave the dent, gives it character! LOL:confused24:

As leo3wheel said try a dent wizard. I work for a Ford dealer and they come by oftem and remove dents without being able to tell later or require any paint work. We had a hail storm last fall and about 150 cars were dented as much as 200 dents per vehicle and they did a great job removing them.

I have heard, but have no true knowledge if it will work, that if you clean out the tank and fill it with water ( not 100% full) then place it in a freezer, the water will expand as it freezes and push the dent out.

Makes sense, but not sure if it really works.:confused24:

Edited by KIC

I had heard, but have no true knowledge if it will work, that if you clean out the tank and fill it with water ( not 100% full) then place it in a freezer, the water will expand as it freezes and push the dent out.

Makes sense, but not sure if it really works.:confused24:

In theory this would work BUT The expanding water would be very hard to control. The ice will push on everything, not just the dent. You would stand a good chance of splitting the tank.

many of the dent guys that come to the dealer will use a glue stick that glues onto the dent and then they can use a slide hammer to pull on the glue stick to remove the dent.

i have had several dents removed from motorcycle fuel tanks with this method. it works!:backinmyday:

In theory this would work BUT The expanding water would be very hard to control. The ice will push on everything, not just the dent. You would stand a good chance of splitting the tank.

I agee. The key would be to know how much.expansion there would be AND to leave the cap off for expansion. But like I said ...it was just something I had heard about in the past. :confused24: