IGNORED

How to determin model number?

ex. XVZ1300DSC....D= deluxe(royale), S= model Year '86, C= California model. Here's the ODDEST thing about 1984. They had both model year designations of K & L for 1984. Reason being they were selling '83 gold Royales as '84's because they added the rear fender extension and other minor changes that the original '83s did not have but were too late to title as 1983 models. FYI- 1983 is model "T" designation. Yes, I worked at a shop in 1984. I honestly do not know what the "2" at the end means? Other than a possible mid-year change of something.

Edited by jasonm.

you only need the Vin. if your frame sticker is missing below the clutch. Sticker has MFD. date. Obviously the "L" is the later '84s.I have studied the VIN I honestly have not found the VIN to be any help determining much. I believe there are letters in the VIN that differenciate model years. Maybe the Yamaha parts webb site show the VIN range with the differences?

ex. XVZ1300DSC....D= deluxe(royale), S= model Year '86, C= California model. Here's the ODDEST thing about 1984. They had both model year designations of K & L for 1984. Reason being they were selling '83 gold Royales as '84's because they added the rear fender extension and other minor changes that the original '83s did not have but were too late to title as 1983 models. FYI- 1983 is model "T" designation. Yes, I worked at a shop in 1984. I honestly do not know what the "2" at the end means? Other than a possible mid-year change of something.

Jason,

What is the rest of the year codes.

S = 86

My guess based on schematics is:

83 = L

84 = K

86 = S

88 = U

90 = A

Any ideas on missing years?

Gary

All those codes at the end of the year have always been confusing to me. Never have figured them out, and frankly don't want to. The only letter that's of any importance is the one in the VIN#. D is '83, E is '84, F is '85 etc. They skip the I and O because they look too much like the numerals 1 and 0. The easieest way to tell if it came off the line as a Royale or a Standard is if the bike has the CLASS system it's a Royale. If it doesn't it's a Standard.

Jason,

What is the rest of the year codes.

S = 86

My guess based on schematics is:

83 = L

84 = K

86 = S

88 = U

90 = A

Any ideas on missing years?

Gary

This should clear the model year encoding business up in a hurry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_Identification_Number#Model_year_encoding

That chart doesn't match any of the with years I am close to being sure of.

Gary

That chart doesn't match any of the with years I am close to being sure of.

Gary

Yeah, there does seem to be some discrepancy. As far as I know when the ISO stuff was implemented (this would be worldwide, mind you) all manufacturers jumped on board and all conform to them. That's why all vehicles (of virtually any type) have standardized 17 digit VINs.

I dunno. Just thought I'd :stirthepot: as usual. ;)

Model years as determined by the VIN:

1983= D

1984= E

1985= F

1986= G

1987= H

1988= J

1989= K

1990= L

1991= M

1992= N

1993= P

I have owned enough Yamahas to know the listing you give is only for VIN info. Yes, it helps for what Year your bike is. But when going to the dealer for parts.The model designation uses a different Lettering than the VIN... EX. all models in 85 = "N", '86 = "S", , 87 = "T"...and they skip around as you can see. The Model # designation does not match the VIN letters you list. Yes those letters change on the VIN as you show. But yamaha shows the letters associated with models differently. You need to go to the Yamaha site for "Model designation". I have an '86 service manual for XVZ1300DS and DSC not "G". Your 1990 is an "A" model-XVZ1300DA or DAC(california). I suggest you look at the Yamaha parts before going to a dealer. It does help.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/myyamaha/prompt/L3Nwb3J0L3BhcnRzL2hvbWUuYXNweA==/Parts%20Catalog/starthere.aspx

Edited by jasonm.

I have owned enough Yamahas to know the listing you give is only for VIN info. Yes, it helps for what Year your bike is. But when going to the dealer for parts.The model designation uses a different Lettering than the VIN... EX. all models in 85 = "N", '86 = "S", , 87 = "T"...and they skip around as you can see. The Model # designation does not match the VIN letters you list. Yes those letters change on the VIN as you show. But yamaha shows the letters associated with models differently. You need to go to the Yamaha site for "Model designation". I have an '86 service manual for XVZ1300DS and DSC not "G". Your 1990 is an "A" model-XVZ1300DA or DAC(california). I suggest you look at the Yamaha parts before going to a dealer. It does help.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/myyamaha/prompt/L3Nwb3J0L3BhcnRzL2hvbWUuYXNweA==/Parts%20Catalog/starthere.aspx

Maybe so Jason, but I think you're making a moot point. You're not going to find any dealers stocking first gen parts unless they have a lot of dust on them.... and when ever I was able to order something from the factory, if it hadn't been discontinued, the dealer didn't care whether I had a T, DA or DAC. All they want to know is the model and year according to the list Prairie Hammer posted. There is only one instance that I have found where the VIN letter designation didn't reflect the model year, and that was the first batch of '84's that hit the US with 'D' in the VIN #.