IGNORED

Rc Heli's

Eddie

Id like to (sarcastically) thank you all for giving me my itch back.I have been into rc stuff for 18 years and sold all my airplane stuff when I bought my first home.No flying fields nearby,ama is so darn expensive anymore.

In the last 5 years I have went from rc truck to car to heli to air planes and have lost a ton of dough everytime I sell them.

Well this thread has started an itch.Tge problem is I will have to buy a used one and lie to the commander.Ill have to say I picked it up really cheap.

So this forum is semi directly to blame for me lying to my wife.

There is no cure for that itch, but there is at least temporary relief at any good hobby shop.

I can see selling the cars and trucks, but never sell the planes or helies, just stuff them up in the rafters for when the itch come back. remember there is no cure for the itch.

No need to lie.

Just put your foot down and tell the commander what you are doing, what it costs and that this is just the way it is.

Then hand her the pants back and run like hell..........:stickpoke::stirthepot:

Maybe I will have to see if I can find room to add a flying contraption to my travels this summer.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife is a saint.She puts up with alot but after all my hand built kits, all my motors and all tools were replaced several times,i just can't look her in thr eye and say thst I will be spending money in this economy for a temporary fix.Like an addict. So like an addict I will find a way to get what I want and hide it.

I may list a small cx2 heli here art a good price to grrrrr my savings for a car started.

Does anyone have a well used nitro car looking to get rid of.?

Here is the chopper and a couple of my boats. I've sold the yellow boat but still have the larger one. I'm not sure where I saved my other pics right now...

What hull is the big white is that a 7.5 cc or 11 on the back of it.

I raced nitro boats for 15 years around the mid west and south east, they are a blast to race.

Richie R

How many guys are into the hobby of these things. My neighbor got me started and Im trying to learn how to fly these things. I bought a Blade CX3 and smashed it a few times and now can fly it a little. Wife bought me a Blade 450 3D for xmas that Im scared to wreck so I bought a Blade MCPX to try some collective pitch flying. This is hard to catch on to let me tell you.

Join a local club and ask them to set up the heli as a trainer ... they will be pleased to help.

If you have to do it yourself be extremely conservative on the throttle/collective curve and dial out ALL negative pitch.

To get it off the ground and learn to hover you need to be able to fly it at about 5 feet, or the ground effect will be horrible, and negative pitch will cause you to destroy a few booms while learning (Don't ask me how I know).

Let me tell you a story ... This, btw, wasn't me ...

A guy I knew set up his heli with the usual 7 degrees positive pitch, and 3 degrees negative on the throttle mix channel.

What he didn't know is that when playing with the controller he had reversed the collective channel.

So he gets all set up and tried to fly it.

However much throttle he applied the thing refused to take off. What he hadn't noticed, or realised the implications of, was that the heli was "squatting" down a bit.

So, wondering what the hell the problem was he shut the throttle and the helicopter suddenly leapt 30 feet into the air.

Pleased at this he open the throttle to keep it there, and the heli then proceed to drive itself hard into the ground.

A beginners mistake that cost a lot of money to repair

Without the negative pitch the cost would have been considerably less :)

If you want to do a LOT of reading there is a group similar to this one where you can get a ton of good info, it is http://www.helifreak.com. But as with any site you must have your BS filter running full blast and remember that the person with the most posts in not necessarily the most knowledgeable.

It is pretty easy to figure out the ones that do or do not know what they are talking about.

All of the videos by Finless Bob are great instructional vids. You will learn a lot from watching them.

If you want to do a LOT of reading there is a group similar to this one where you can get a ton of good info, it is www.helifreak.com. But as with any site you must have your BS filter running full blast and remember that the person with the most posts in not necessarily the most knowledgeable.

It is pretty easy to figure out the ones that do or do not know what they are talking about.

All of the videos by Finless Bob are great instructional vids. You will learn a lot from watching them.

I wish sites like that had been around when I was trying to learn to fly.

I was a member of a great club in southern England, it was around 1995. I had both a Kyosho Concept and a Hirobo Shuttle, both 30 size, and an Apex computer radio.

Never got much past basic circuits, and even they were more than a bit shaky :)

Still ... Loved every minute of it :)

I am excited.

I just ordered this one. It also comes with the simulator kit.

http://www.bananahobby.com/1651.html

Supposed to be one of the best trainers out there.

Good looking plane. Not sure about cost after shipping but seems bigger and cheaper than the one I have been looking at lately. http://hobbytown.com/Shop/SUPER-CUB-DSM-RTF/

Also the kid holding up the airplane I see his picture holding various airplanes on ebay. For example ebay id 250936442582

Join a local club and ask them to set up the heli as a trainer ... they will be pleased to help.

If you have to do it yourself be extremely conservative on the throttle/collective curve and dial out ALL negative pitch.

To get it off the ground and learn to hover you need to be able to fly it at about 5 feet, or the ground effect will be horrible, and negative pitch will cause you to destroy a few booms while learning (Don't ask me how I know).

Im looking into some local clubs.I did sign up with AMA. I have a couple of planes I fly but this heli thing is way more difficult. I have a Phoenix sim but its not the same as the real thing. I do like that I can use it with my DX6i .

Good looking plane. Not sure about cost after shipping but seems bigger and cheaper than the one I have been looking at lately. http://hobbytown.com/Shop/SUPER-CUB-DSM-RTF/

Also the kid holding up the airplane I see his picture holding various airplanes on ebay. For example ebay id 250936442582

I really dont like the foam construction.

maybe Im just used to balsa and monokote.

great price to start learning though.

just do yourself a favor and buy another set of wings.

that battery will also be done in about 15 min flight time so just as you are getting good at flying to will have to call it quits for the day.

Just observations

Ok so I think I may have been a lil harsh.Noting what I dont like.So this post is stuff thst I like. The independent aileron servos, the 2.4 ghz radio equipment, and thr great price.I will be looking to see if they have sport class.I've been out of flying for years anf the esse of plug anf play with no noise is very attractive.

The biggest recommendation that I can make for If you think you are serious about getting into flying is to get the best transmitter that you can afford. My recommendation is to get at least 7 channels, 2.4GHz, and one of the name brands, (In my personal order of preference, Futaba, JR, HiTec, Airtronics, and if you are in Europe add Multiplex to the list)

The Futaba / JR debate is just like a Ford / Chevy debate, at the end of the day they are both still good equipment and each has advantages and disadvantages. The HiTech and Airtronics are aslo very good radios but they are not as popular so it might be a little more difficult to get help with setting things up at the flying field.

Many, but not all, of the cheap ready to fly stuff on the market use a proprietary transmitter that will only work with their own stuff. This means that if you want to move on to something bigger or better or even just different, you throw everything away and start over.

The biggest recommendation that I can make for If you think you are serious about getting into flying is to get the best transmitter that you can afford. My recommendation is to get at least 7 channels, 2.4GHz, and one of the name brands, (In my personal order of preference, Futaba, JR, HiTec, Airtronics, and if you are in Europe add Multiplex to the list)

The Futaba / JR debate is just like a Ford / Chevy debate, at the end of the day they are both still good equipment and each has advantages and disadvantages. The HiTech and Airtronics are aslo very good radios but they are not as popular so it might be a little more difficult to get help with setting things up at the flying field.

Many, but not all, of the cheap ready to fly stuff on the market use a proprietary transmitter that will only work with their own stuff. This means that if you want to move on to something bigger or better or even just different, you throw everything away and start over.

You wouldnt put Spectrum on that list. Around here they are the most popular.

You wouldnt put Spectrum on that list. Around here they are the most popular.

For a while Spectrum and JR were in bed together, Jr made the radios and Spectrum made the 2.4 part. They have recently gone there separate ways and now that JR is not making the transmitter for Spectrum the quality has dropped.

The older Spectrum is much better than the new stuff.

I am sure that in another year or so Spectrum will have the bugs worked out of their new stuff.

Well,this will be my first plane, so I think what I bought will be perfect for me. It's a good trainer. If I destroy it, or decide the hobby isn't for me, then I'm not out much. If I really get into it, then I will start looking for quality stuff.

Well,this will be my first plane, so I think what I bought will be perfect for me. It's a good trainer. If I destroy it, or decide the hobby isn't for me, then I'm not out much. If I really get into it, then I will start looking for quality stuff.

Mostly they rarely get "destroyed".

However, every flight ends either in a landing, or a crash. The amount of damage that happens is variable, but most times is little more than broken bits of airframe.

In an entry-level trainer that won't cost an arm and a leg to fix.

Most of your investment is in the radio in your hands, the electronics, servos, motor etc in the plane, and the support gear. Usually, that lot survives a crash.

Put the rest down to training costs :)

Fora bunch of years when I was having money issues, most of my planes came out of the trash can at the flying field.

Other people would consider it totaled and throw it away, I would take it home and fix it and show up at the field with it the next week.

After your first crash, don't panic, take it home and look at it logically, no matter how bad it looks, it may still be an easy fix.

I am VERY handy, so I'm sure I'll be able to fix any damage I WILL cause. ( notice I didn't say "may" cause).

I have almost 1000 hours on flight simulators, so that can only be to my benefit. I am also going to use the supplied simulator to learn the radio controls, extensively, before I attempt a flight.