IGNORED

Second Ignitech Aftermarket TCI group buy

I have had some members express interest in getting an Ignitech TCI.

I did the first one in August 2011 and 13 members participated in it here. I have not had any issues with them reported to me. If any of the guys that got them would like to post their experience with the TCI, it may help others decide if this is for them. I have ran this TCI for 2 years now and is works perfectly.

This TCI is only available for the 83-93 1st gen Ventures. The RSV's have some dash indication features in it that this module is not set up to handle.

I am planning on ordering TCI's the last week of January. That is to give anyone interested in doing this time to get funds together after the holiday season.

Cost is $250 including USPS Priority shipping to US addresses. I will send anywhere, but shipping will be more. Due to Paypal fees of 2.9% there will be an added $7.25 for Paypal payments. Checks or money orders would be fine. Last time I took Paypal payments as 'Personal' transactions, but Paypal is shutting some peoples accounts down for this practice.

Payment will be need in advance, same as last time.

Attached below is a PDF of install instructions I provided & a couple of pictures of TCI. The MAP sensor will be connected to TCI with one connector on it at the MAP sensor itself.

You will get following:

Pre programmed new, version 80 Ignitech module (warranty by Ignitech)

A revised program that is much better than what Ignitech is supplying.

Adapter harness for either a 1983-1989 Venture or a 1990-1993 Venture, plug & play & matching program in TCI. Spare terminals for the TCI end connector. Also furnished are replacement ends for the Venture harness connectors & terminals. These are only needed if your harness end connectors are corroded.

A new 1 bar GM MAP sensor and wiring connector properly connected to Ignitech harness. Wires will be 24" long and heat shrink covered. The stock vacuum sensor on the bike is not desirable for use on this TCI due to it being 12v based and it is prone to failure due to its age.

All documentation and original files from Ignitech along with any useful info I have collected on a CD. Also on CD will be wiring schematics & service manuals for the 1st gens.

Marine grade Velcro to attach TCI & MAP sensor. Alcohol wipes to clean surfaces.

Small tube of dielectric grease.

24" of 3/16" vacuum hose to connect to MAP sensor.

15 wire zip ties in 3 different sizes.

All TCI's for the 1983-1989 will be tested for operation on my bike. I cannot start the 1990-1993 TCI's due to coil differences, but I can program module.

An optional item is a 6' long USB to COM cable to allow the TCI to be hooked up to a laptop that does not have a Com port. This is $15.00 additional. Not needed if you are not interested in tweaking the programming of TCI.

Ignitech main thread (extensive) is linked below.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/sh...ad.php?t=40414

Previous group buy thread is at link below.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=62620

If interested, post here or PM me.

Gary

Edited by dingy
corrected text

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this would be great, as my original one is at the 29 year mark, and I'm not altogether sure it's still functioning right. Since I'm in the middle of stripping my bike, I think it would be a great buy. I missed out on the first round. And my warden isn't that hard on me, but I suppose that's because I have only ONE Venture, at least for now...

-Andrew

I hate cold winter days. I do nothing but sit around the computer and spend money. Already bought some more LEDs today and now you have this group buy thing going on. OK I'm IN. Dot was running great but she'll be 26 this year and time is one thing that makes things deteriorate. Me included. :D:mo money:

I just had a question asked by pm about what the rev limiter setting would be at.

Whatever you want, I can tailor each one to specific needs. Factory tach redline is 7,500.

One of the people interested has VMax heads on his Venture, it will be good at 8,500 at least.

I have mine set at 9,200.

Rev limiter is not the total shutdown type. When it is crossed, the TCI cuts out a couple of cylinders intermitetly, similar to FJR style.

Also, any of the TCI parameters are changable by end user, with a laptop PC and an adapter cable, or a com port & cable on laptop. I actually don't program them in garage, I made a DC power adapter hookup for the TCI I can plug each one into & program at my desk. I do plug each one of the 83-89 units into my bike & start it so I can verify its working, but I can't with the 90-93's. I haven't found one that didn't work first time yet.

Gary

Hey Dingy,

Is this a complete plug and play setup? Meaning I just remove my old TCI and plug this one in, along with the map sensor of course. Do I need to modify any of my existing wiring for this to work? Is this similar to the stock TCI meaning the performance curves are the same? I am interested. Thanks.

Hey Dingy,

Is this a complete plug and play setup? Meaning I just remove my old TCI and plug this one in, along with the map sensor of course. Do I need to modify any of my existing wiring for this to work? Is this similar to the stock TCI meaning the performance curves are the same? I am interested. Thanks.

Plug & Play, no wiring changes needed.

Curve is similar yo a stock setup if you want that. I have a more advanced curve I have put in the VMax units. But just putting that in a Venture with out the upgrades a VMax does would not run as well.

Gary

On the 83 bikes, would you come off of the same vacuum port as 84 up with this setup?

RandyA

Yes.

If I know that you are putting this on an 83, I will supply a plug for the unused carb port. I did this on the last group.

Gary

D*MN! I just saw this. AND last week, I just picked up a parts Venture Royale with wicked low miles. Yes, I verified the miles a couple different ways. And it has spark but not running due to sitting. Actually sat more than you could believe. I cannot test the TCI from this bike till spring. Hope it satisfies all my needs...for parts:fingers-crossed-emo No more $$ in the piggy bank ... So, I am out.

Edited by jasonm.

I have a number of payments received so far, if it is like last time I did this there will be a flurry of activity last few days before I get order placed.

Several of the people that have posted to this thread are participating, if they want to post they are involved that's fine, I try to refrain from naming people that have done business with me in general. It seems like a better way to do it. I don't mind stating numbers, but in general, not specific ID's.

Gary

I have been exchanging emails yesterday & today with people at Ignitech. I am planning on ordering the units Thursday evening.

Today their engineer asked me if I wanted the new V88 units in this group. They have developed a new unit that is optimized for a Vacuum sensor (MAP) instead of the Throttle position sensor (TPS) the earlier model was designed for. The TCI has been used with the TPS but with an input from the vacuum sensor. This has worked out fairly well but they have improved on this concept.

I have included the email from him next. (in blue)

We have completed development of a new version (v88) TCIP4 unit which is suitable for use with pressure sensor (IAPS).

The standard version (V80) was developed for use with throttle position sensor (TPS). Entering values ​​in advance map for pressure sensor is in version 80 very difficult. Version 88 has the choice if it is used TPS or IAPS and adjusts accordingly advance map.

The signal from the TPS in version 80 is processed every 10 miliseconds. When using a pressure sensor instead of TPS there are large fluctuations in the signal IAPS, especially at low speeds. In version 88 is IAPS signal processed as average of 2 rpm, so there is no measurement fluctuations.

We have also now measured characteristics of the original pressure sensor of the Venture.

We have two questions:

1) Do you want for the current order version 80 or 88?

2) Do you want to modify the connector adapter for using original pressure sensor from the Venture?

I replied to them that I would like to have the new version if the cost was the same as the prior version. I can always use it as before with the TPS setting.

If it is same cost, I will get the new V88 units, which can still be used with a new MAP sensor.

It has the advantage of being able to use the existing bikes vacuum sensor and still be a 'Plug & Play'

If I do not supply the new MAP sensor I can reduce the cost of the unit by $20. I have not yet ordered sensors from supplier in China.

At this point, I recommend getting the new MAP sensor, especially in the case of a 1st gen bike. There have been many failures of the stock sensor.

I have emailed them with some other questions about this and hope to hear from them tomorrow

Gary

I'm slipping on this one Gary. I'm in there. My intensions are to use 1st one for shop use and this one for rider which for now will be 85 or 86. No difference but I would like redline set higher. This any problem? I was thinking 8500 RPM. Not too high for a 1st Gen that is running right??

Edited by Yammer Dan

I'm slipping on this one Gary. I'm in there. My intensions are to use 1st one for shop use and this one for rider which for now will be 85 or 86. No difference but I would like redline set higher. This any problem? I was thinking 8500 RPM. Not too high for a 1st Gen that is running right??

I got you covered Dan, I worked all the OT I could in January so I could get some extra ones of these.

I just placed an order for 20 units of the V88 version.

I'm thinking 8500 is right where the valves started floating on mine when it was pure stock.

8000 might be safer, but it is your call. I'll set it wherever you want in 100 rpm increments.

Gary

For what it is worth, I found another American seller of this TCI on line today.

He only wants $495 plus $8 shipping and no MAP sensor.

http://planetvmax.com/85-07vmax/motor/ignitor-box/

I got some extras coming so if you still want to get one, let me know.

I'm charging $250, US shipping included, with a small fee if paid by paypal.

Gary