IGNORED

any body know what a cylinder water jacket joint

my rite rear cylinder leaks water out the exhaust and there is oily water around the spark plug and i have water in my oil but the weard part as soon as i warm up the motor it runs fine , i am thinking hoping it mite be the cylinder water jacket joint ? anybody ever take one of these out ? now the hard part , do i have to pull the motor to remove the rear head , to install a new head gasket ? moan !! mite be better to buy another motor , shipping is going to be he!! glad i went back to work , and before any of you 2nd gens say anything NO I AM NOT GOIN TO BUY A 2ND GEN so there :rasberry::rasberry::rasberry:

Guest KitCarson

You are awful suspicious of us 2nd gens......who would start anything:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:So when you going to buy one??? I dunno about pulling the motor......ask Muffinman, that is the 1st gen guru. I do know what you are explaining is most likely the head gasket. Expansion and contraction. Motor gets hot, metal expands....seals off the leak........bike sits and cools.....water leaks into the oil.

DO a compression check when the motor is cold, should show a blown head gasket. Muffinman or Squeeze will definately be the answer men when it comes to this.

And I agree with your position on the second gens. Seems I've been seeing more problems out of them on the site lately than the 1st gens!!!!!

Dan

thanks dan , i'll do that tomorrow ,

what would happen if a 2g blew a head gasket

1 , it would be yamaha's fault

2 , they would cry because it would not be under warranty

3 , the dealer would not do the repair rite the 1st , 2nd , 3rd time

and think of the cost

and when all is well and done they are still slower and look like a HD

pick on me we'll ya !!! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rasberry::rasberry::rasberry:

thom

Sorry to hear about your motor Thom,

Also sorry to say yes you would need to pull your motor to remove the head or heads,

If your wanting to go all out install some V-Max cams as well. One thing mine 83 does not have is the cams. Do have the trans & final drive V-Max but not the cams.

Hope its just the oil ring on the water port sleeve

buddy

hay buddy , vmax cams !! if i have to pull this motor down i will put them in , i changed my oil galley , had a bad orange oil ring , i got a hole lot of oil pressure , i got oil leaks every where:rotfl:my bike think it's a harley

Thom, forgot to mention, don't know how, you shouldn't run it with the oil/water mix. It could cause corrosion in the oil paths and it makes the oil really sludgey(?). It will definately reduce oil flow thru motor, depending on how much water (anti-freeze) has gotten in there. Replace the filter, oil change at least twice I would think, to flush out the contaminents(watch a 2nd genner try to understand this!). Sorry to hear you gotta pull it, but a good time to check out the heads, valves, chain tensioner, etc. I would throw new valve cover gaskets on it too, if it's never been apart. You got a good motor, no reason to start over on somebody elses (hidden) problems.

Good luck,

Dan

PS- don't feel bad, I'm doing the second gear fix this winter, so I'm right there with you! But at least I'll know when I get this done, it's Lowell kind-of mileage before I gotta do that again! Hmmm, makes you wonder why Lowell doesn't ride a 2nd gen, huh!!!

A compression test will not tell you anything if there is a leak between the water and oil jackets. If you had a bad headgasket into the cylinder you would also smoke white out of the exhaust.

You have water and oil in the spark plug recess so that does not come from a bad head gasket, the gasket is below the head and the plugs are above that. Seems to me you have a different problem.

I need some clarification. Do you have water inside the exhaust and how how do you know that. What makes you think you got water in the oil, (by the way, you should not run it at all with coolant in the oil, not good at all for bearings and those sort of things that they put inside these engines). Is your coolant level down and is there any oil in the coolant.

Need some answers to determine any more.

got water in the oil , not much , just enough to change color of the oil , oil was changed mon. and today , blowing smoke out of the rite side ex. when i pulled the pipes off water driped out , i think most of my coolant loss is going out my pipes , i used a gal. of coolant in a week

got water in the oil , not much , just enough to change color of the oil , oil was changed mon. and today , blowing smoke out of the rite side ex. when i pulled the pipes off water driped out , i think most of my coolant loss is going out my pipes , i used a gal. of coolant in a week

Well that answers it, you got a bum headgasket. Don't run it no more or you will screw the engine if you haven't already. One gallon of coolant through the engine does not bode well. You'll need to pull the engine and do a headgasket on that head. While you have it out, I would first take the time to pull a main bearing or two and see what shape they are in, if they look good then pull the head and check the cylinder walls for scour marks, if that looks good put in a new gasket. If the bearings show scouring or excessive wear or the cylinders show misuse, you either have a lot of work and expense ahead of you, or you need a new power plant.

Man that was tough to type out. I hate bad news, specially when it comes to friends or a scooter.

Keep us posted.

Thom,

Sounds like your going to be ordering some head gaskets:( & V-Max cams.:whistling:

You know if you had not moved out of Oklahoma I could give you a hand but since your not....enjoy that warm weather as your working on your motor while i'll be freezing my end off over here.

buddy

Thom, just gleaning info here, for Marlcarl and the rest. Has it overheated recently? I mean really hot? Have not studied these motors up close and personal yet, but I will this winter. Not sure of the water passages thru the heads, etc. Hopefully it's not a cracked head.

Dan

PS, I'll shut up and just read now!

Hi,

blown Head Gasket seems to be to closest Guess. Not very common, but it happens sometimes.

I think, you can lift the Heads without dismounting the Motor. Not easy and not in a Minute, but it can be done. The rear Head is easier to access than the front. But if you plan to convert to Vmax Cams anyway, you better take the Engine out. Also, solid Motor Mounts would be a good Idea during this Process.

I could be the orings on Yamaha part #17 (Joint) are leaking. This part is behind the sparkplug held in place with a rollpin. There are 3 orings on it and made of plastic so be careful when removing. Its purpose is to move the coolant thru the head, kinda like a crossover tube with holes in the side. If the orings leak coolant is going to get in the oil.

I had an extra 86 engine I completely tore down, what a learning experience. I removed the (#17 Joint) parts and had them as spares. Gave one away to a member, don't have the other. If I did I'd take pic of it for you so you would see what it does. You can go to Yamaha's online parts manual, its part #17.

I'd try replacing the orings on part#17 before I'd pull the engine. The head gaskets are 3 pieces of laminated steel made together. When I first pulled a head I thought it had 3 head gaskets, its only one. I would think it would be hard to blow one of these. Just my .02cents.

Bottom line, if you have coolant in the oil do not start the engine. You will most likely end up very sorry later. The antifreeze destroys the bearings. It may seem fine after you have done the heads and run it, then take a big sh-- later. It sounds like you have been running it so you need to figure on rods and mains (bearings) for sure when you tear it down. Take the engine out of the bike and have at it before you do more damage.

I could be the orings on Yamaha part #17 (Joint) are leaking. This part is behind the sparkplug held in place with a rollpin. There are 3 orings on it and made of plastic so be careful when removing. Its purpose is to move the coolant thru the head, kinda like a crossover tube with holes in the side. If the orings leak coolant is going to get in the oil.

Thom, sounds like OKScooter might be on to something. If you said you had stuff in the sparkplug well, this could explain it. I wonder if it could leak into the cylinder and/or into the exhaust area above the exhaust valve in order to make into the exhaust tube.

Just more thinkin'!

Dan