IGNORED

Yes - this is a Chevy

Hummingbird

On our trip to Australia, I think I found the assortment of cars the most interesting. Attached is a picture of a Holden Ute. Here in the states we call it an El Camino, or used to. ( note the Chevy bowtie )

Also attached is a picture of the Ford version, the Falcon, we used to call it the Ranchero

i like the chevy utu i use to have a 1973 gmc sprint, the el camino cousin, it had a 350 gmc truck motor in it and had the SP package a very nice car and fast i treated it rough tho didnt realize what i had i guess i've looked for yrs for another one and have never even seen one wish that style of car would return

Looks like the same platform the Pontiac G8 was built on. There were rumors the G8 would get reskinned and rebadged as a Chevy. A little dispute since they want to build here and not in Australia. Wouldn't be hard for them to bring the Ute here.

RSTDdog

I'm pretty sure that Holden made the newer GTOs.

We were having dinner at a side walk cafe in Melbourne and the owner came over and we talked for an hour about cars. He was telling us that Holden was making the GTO for Pontiac and he showed us pictures of his 1964 Holden. He had quite an assortment of cars including a CLK Mercedes.

For me, that Chevy (aka UTE) is one hot car. Thanks flb_78 for the web site

Another interesting thing is that some (in Australia) have the Chevy bow tie in the grill and some have the Holden emblem.

OK...according to Wikipedia, the '59 was indeed the first year. I'm assuming that any earlier models were custom jobs.

So...I guess my first choice would be a '72 SS with 454. BIG money now though. I even liked the '73 454 SS models but they are pretty rare also.

I suspect the one on here started as a 56 four door wagon. I also bet it was not a Nomad.

If it were a real 56 El Camino, it would be worth a fortune like an 83 Corvette would be.

Speaking of rare Chevrolets, there was supposedly only one 1965 Z-16 convertable Chevelle SS. That car would be worth at least a quarter million or more. It came stock with a 375hp 396 engine. I saw a hardtop listed recently for $189,000.

Listing: http://www.oldride.com/classic_cars/692374.html

RandtA

I have been working along the US-Mexico border all year. I see alot of the little Chevy El Camino wannabees there crossing the border. I forget what they call them in Mexico but I have wondered why they dont sell them here. I have also seen a Ford Ranger 4-door pickup. (No, It wasnt an Explorer Sport.) That one should be sold here.

I remember we had a '59. It had a strange engine it it, I think a 348? Not sure. Dad also bought a '69 SS 396 4-speed El Camino when he got back from 'Nam. It was red with black stripes, and he won quite a few races with it. Still has some trophies. That was back when the town would shut down a street, and let you race.

I had a '71 with a 350 in it, but it was nothing special.