IGNORED

Asked and Answered

MikeWa

Ok I have always wondered if I made the best choice when I bought my Venture. My Harley friends are pretty adamant on the superiority of the Harley experience. So I have always had this nagging question. Would I have been happier with a Harly Ultra Glide Classic or some such thing? Do the Harleys really handle much better at parking lot speeds? For sure more accessories are available for Harleys. And the Harley is fuel injected. Well yesterday I spent some time riding an Ultra Classic and all I can say is WOW. There is no way I would trade my Venture for a Harley. I like the handling on my Venture better than the Harley at any speed. So the question for me has been asked and answered. The Venture was and still is my best choice.

Mike

Enough said!!

Some like to impress others with amount spent and loudness.

Others like to do a quiet 200,000 miles with little or no maintainence.

It's like a race car, you can take two 4 cylinders joined together and produce over 600 Hp with a very "short" life expectancy, or, you can drive a 4 cylinder vehicle 200,000 miles...

It's your choice...

P.S. Regardless of what others have told you about Harleys ... they won't get you laid either... Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!

Funny you would ask that question. It took me a week to like my RSV. After I got use to floor boards and adjusted the handle bars (for me) I now LOVE it.

But a dedicated / full fledged / only bike you can ride is an HD type guy I work with, his wife came and used his truck one day while we were at work early this spring.

He needed to go home for a few minuets so I offered him my bike for the ride home and back. Well you would have thought I slapped him. LOL He told me there was NO WAY he would ride a JAP piece of ,,, junk.

Long story short he HAD to get home so he took my bike. He rides an Ultra Classic and swears it is the best riding bike in the world. (He lives 1 mile from the plant) and after he got back I took a look at the miles and there were 22 "extra" miles on it.

I asked him how he liked it and he said it was "ok" for what it was, and that was it. Then one day he started asking me questions about the RSV. I answered best I could, some questions were like how hard are they to work on? I said I have no idea. He says don't you have to do this and do that? I said I start it and ride it till I get home, Put in gas , change oil and change tires and that's all I have done in the three years that I have owned it. It always starts and is ready to ride. He could not believe it.

He came to work about a month ago and told me to stop over at his place after work. So I did and could not believe what I saw!! There in his garage was a Midnight RSV. When I ask who's it was he told me he bought it. He then told me he took my bike that day out on the road and could not believe what he was missing. He said all his life it was ONLY HD but that one ride of 20 miles opened his eyes.

So now I got no one to razz at work any more. That is what these darn RSV's will do, Take away your fun to razz someone who has NO IDEA what a ride SHOULD be like!!!

Bryan

I traded my 53 Mercury for a Road Glide this fall. It handles fantastic but if someone had a Tour Deluxe valued the same as my Harley and wanted to trade even up I would probably make the trade. I have had two 2000 MM Ventures and an 07 Tour Deluxe. The Tour my first choice, Road Glide second, Venture third.

There was one time that a group of us went on a short trip from Milwaukee to Oshkosh and we decided to do some bike swapping. I ended up on a Harley ultra and the Ultra owner ended up on my bike. He thought he would make me a convert to Harley. I had a hard time getting mine back from him. He just could not understand how a 20 year old bike could be better than his brand new one. But with all of the bashing he did over the years, his ego will not let him get anything other than another Harley every 2 years.

There was one time that a group of us went on a short trip from Milwaukee to Oshkosh and we decided to do some bike swapping. I ended up on a Harley ultra and the Ultra owner ended up on my bike. He thought he would make me a convert to Harley. I had a hard time getting mine back from him. He just could not understand how a 20 year old bike could be better than his brand new one. But with all of the bashing he did over the years, his ego will not let him get anything other than another Harley every 2 years.

You should paint a small HD logo on the side of your Venture for evey HD he's owned...

Fighter pilot syle....

:think:

I traded my 53 Mercury for a Road Glide this fall. It handles fantastic but if someone had a Tour Deluxe valued the same as my Harley and wanted to trade even up I would probably make the trade. I have had two 2000 MM Ventures and an 07 Tour Deluxe. The Tour my first choice, Road Glide second, Venture third.

I bought an 2011 road glide custom this spring, still have my 08 RSTD. Due to a late spring planting season, my riding season didnt start till almost july. That being said I put almost 6000 miles on in July/August on my Road Glide. I put 17 miles on my RSTD in the same time. Maybe its the fixed fairing, and I think narrower front tire on the Glide (actually havent compared tire size), but to me the 2 bikes arent comparible. I know cost and maintenance are higher on the HD, but the ride is better for me. I like both motors etc. and I'm not a big proponent of the HD mystique. I dont care what you ride, all bikes are cool. But for me its a road glide. Will probly be getting rid of my Yammie next spring. Never ridden a Venture so I cant make the comparison.