IGNORED

1997 YZF 750R front brake question

Those calipers will bolt on our bikes and would be a huge improvement. However, they are designed for use with a 5/8" master cylinder, which the 2nd gens have. I don't know what size master cylinder the 1st gens have. I looked around for a set of these for a while, but they're not easy to turn up in the US.

Rotor Diameter on these Bikes is 298 mm and as already mentioned these Calipers will bolt up to MII or 2Gen Bikes.

But these Calipers are not superior to the R1 Calipers. I didn't try them personally but some of my Guys in the Vmax Crowd did and went on or back to the R1 Calipers.

Gary, if you want to upgrade your Brakes beyond standard R1 Calipers, fab up some Brackets as shown in the Pic and use Radial 6-Pot Calipers off the 2008 R1 or '09 VMAX. If you make the Brackets right, you'll even be able to upgrade to 320mm Rotors later with just two Collars per Caliper.

Rotor Diameter on these Bikes is 298 mm and as already mentioned these Calipers will bolt up to MII or 2Gen Bikes.

But these Calipers are not superior to the R1 Calipers. I didn't try them personally but some of my Guys in the Vmax Crowd did and went on or back to the R1 Calipers.

Thanks, Squeeze you just saved me :mo money: :thumbsup2:

With all due respect to Squeezes insight, from what I am seeing on the Vmaxforum.net is that the 6 pot calipers are the prefered way to go.

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?p=228105#post228105

Post #22 is from a guy that knows these bikes as well as anyone.

And since I have a setnow, I will find out how good they are this spring. R1's are on bike now so I have a good feel about their braking power.

It also appears that a 14mm master is the way to go, which is what is on bike now. Along with S.S. lines.

Still looking two sets of HH pads.

Gary

Gary, i saw the other Thread after i answered here.

I don't want to rain on anyones Parade, but as a Fact, the R1 Calipers where Reference Class for Years at three out of four major M/C Magaziens over here. The remaining Magazine prefered the Hayabusa Brakes over the R1.

None of them mentioned these 6-Pot Calipers anymore when the R1 showed up in 1999. This R1-Style Calipers came up first with an earlier R6-Model, i think it was '97, but they had external Lines, which looked funny and not thought through. Worked, but ....

I don't want to oppose Sean Morley's Verdict, but we ride high Speed and Corners over here too. Maybe even a Tad more than most Vmax-Riders do in US. I know, i do, if i have Time to ride.

What i said in my previous Post is still what i know, over here, some tried these Calipers and didn't find those 6-Pot of any Advantage over the R1's and did them anyway sooner or later.

And, from a "living in the End of 2011" Perspective, radial Calipers are certainly the Way to go. I know you're limited Time might hold you back from developing such Conversion Brackets, but they sure would sell, with the Capability of using different Rotor Diameters.

The only downside of these new-Style Calipers ist the Addition of some unsprung weight to the Bike.

And, from a "living in the End of 2011" Perspective, radial Calipers are certainly the Way to go. I know you're limited Time might hold you back from developing such Conversion Brackets, but they sure would sell, with the Capability of using different Rotor Diameters.

QUOTE]

What is the advantage of a radial mount opposed to a conventionial?

Aside from a general liability concern, the radial conversion bracket does not look that all difficult. As long as the mid line axis of the caliper was kept perpendicular to the centerline axis of the wheel, different rotor diameters would be very doable.

Gary

The only downside of these new-Style Calipers ist the Addition of some unsprung weight to the Bike.

Alrighty then, I have a set of 6 pot radials coming. Came off a 2011 bike with 45 miles on it, they upgraded brakes on it.

I can 3D model the brakets, run Finite Element Analysis on them, then get a Sterolithography prototype made of one to see how fitment is. This is my day job basically.

Actually the bracket doesn't look that bad to design.

Gary

WOW :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

As you might already know, i really envy you those Options.

I have handcontrolled Mill and Lathe with digital Readouts, but nothing which would compare to your Sets ...

Stereolithography ... that would be very nice, or probably even better, a 3d-Printer.

I'm really looking forward to your progress. This will be a Killer-Setup and your gonna be so happy !! !!

Plus, you would be able to give all our Members a good Option to upgrade their Brakes. Even MK I VR's will be possible with little Differences in the Mounting Pattern of the Brackets.

WOW :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Stereolithography ... that would be very nice, or probably even better, a 3d-Printer.

Stereolithography is a fancy name for 3D printer. It is one of the types of 3D printers avaliable. I send 3D computer models out to a service that has these machines and get functional pieces back for various testing. Depending on the type of machine and materials used, the part can be quite functional.

Gary

QUOTE]

What is the advantage of a radial mount opposed to a conventionial?

Aside from a general liability concern, the radial conversion bracket does not look that all difficult. As long as the mid line axis of the caliper was kept perpendicular to the centerline axis of the wheel, different rotor diameters would be very doable.

Gary

The main reason radial calipers came to being. IS....they allow the calipers to be spaced radially away from the axle..DEPENDING on the size of rotors and tires installed. And it supposedly allows quicker wheel changes for racing. Functionally while riding...the difference is minute for you and me. Also when looking for rotors to fit the Venture...FYI- some yamaha rotors have an "offset". R1 rotors from '99-2003 will fit. Also Vmax from 1993-2006. R6 rotor fit too. But I believe some years they were thinner than others. Thus thin rotors ar not good on a 700#+ bike. After 2003 R1 changed to a 5 bolt design. ALSO Look for 2004 OR later FJR1300 rotors...these I believe are 320mm and are still 6 bolt design. Now that would be stopping power we need. I have been toying with this change from 282to 298mm. As making a bracket to hold the caliper farther away is simple. I have done this before.

Edited by jasonm.

Gary, if i hear Stereolithography, it think of that Machine which puts a Sheet of Paper in the Working Area of the Laser Beam, waits until the Laser has done it's 2-D Twist in cutting out a Layer of the Part created, brings up another Sheet of Resin pre-pregged Paper on top of the first and so on until the Part is done. I know the Technology has come a long Way since these hit the Market, but that's my Idea of it.

3-D Printers are Machines which melt Material through the Laser Beam, creating a solid and functioning Part. A Lot of different granulate Materials are possible, several Plastics, even some Metal Granulates, including Aluminium-Alloy, Zinc-Alloy and even Titanium-Alloy. The Parts created are actual outright usable or one can produce a Mold to use in various Production Processes, from extruding over FRP-Parts to whatever you want to do with the technical Limits of the Material.

I guess it's just a Matter of using different Terms for the different Machines and i'm not a Pro when it comes to that Technology.

No Matter what, i envy you for such a Job, it's Possibilities and Options, would be a Lot of Fun to work in that Kind of Industry. :thumbsup2::thumbsup2::thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

Six piston calipers got here today and they are spotless. They came off a 2011 R1 with 45 miles on it that had its brakes upgraded.

I got them for $155 with shipping.

I now have 2 sets of six piston calipers, one set of Sumitomas, and these radials.

I have leads on a machine shop locally to do the brackets, and another place nearby that does anodizing.

Brackets aren't going to be real cheap, but I don't have any idea yet what they will run if I get some low quantities made. Considering 6061-651 Aluminum stock.

It will be really simple to make two versions of the bracket, one for 83-85 Ventures (with 80mm mounts) & one for 86-93 Ventures (with 100mm mounts & maybe RSV's ).

Rotor diameter differences will be very simple with same bracket.

It looks like front brake lines would probably need replaced due to 15 deg angle on lower fittings may be a problem, if they will even reach caliper port.

Pads will spread far enough for the 7.5mm wide rotors to fit in.

The seal & piston kits for these calipers are much cheaper than others I have looked at for units that may need refurbished.

Pictures have a credit size card in them for size indicator.

:fingers crossed:

Gary

Uhhhh, Gary, I'm having a hard time reading that credit card account number, could you focus in on it a little better???:rotf:

It is actually the back of my paypal security key random # generator card. It adds an extra level of security to a paypal account.

Gary

Upgardes for Race Business are ceramic Rotors with different Calipers, carbon Fibre Rotors with Race Calipers ....

There are Brembo Gold Calipers, ISR, Beringer if you look at standard Brakes...

But, you better take a good Seat before you look at those Calipers and their Prices.

Since i have good Contact to ISR, i'm currently thinking of a Set of ISR 6-Pot Calipers together with 330 mm Rotors for my '09. ISR sports a single Pad for each Piston.