IGNORED

found my oil leak!....damn

I found the oil leak on my Venture.

It's on the engine case split line in a hard to access area next to the clutch pin and seal.

Had to remove the clutch actuator cyl to see it.

Seeing the amount of gunk build up in that area, I think it's been leaking for years.

There is a ¼" landing there. (shadow area) I'm thinking I might clean it up real good and just fill it in with JB Weld. Otherwise it looks like an engine pull and case split!

Any other idea's?

JB Weld is a little scary. Good stuff but it could be a problem at some later date. I would use some hi temp silicone with a little pressure behind it to force it into the opening. Or even some liquid nails. But good luck whatever you do.

Mike

Personally, I wouldn't do anything. You may end up having to split the cases some day down the road, for maybe a tranny repair, and could fix it then.

I don't recall you saying the amount of oil coming out was more than a few drops here and there. As long as it isn't making a big mess, and isn't showing up as consumption, and isn't maybe getting onto your rear tire and brake, this is WAY too small a prob to justify all that work.

Patrick

Ya, I didn't say the amount leaking. It's prob a few drops every mile. Haven't noticed it in consumtion yet as I haven't put that many miles on it yet. It's location is a pain as you have to pull the clutch cylinder out, which is tight itself. I think I'll JB Weld it as I don't want to have to get back in there. I've pulled the secondary side cover about 4-5 times just trying to find it.

Gone through the rest of the bike and she's running pretty good now.

Looking forward to next riding season for some longer trips.

Thanks for the replies.