IGNORED

Handel Bar Shaking

GolfVenture

Went for a short ride today and needed to let go of the handel bars. Doing about 40mph +, when it got down to 35mph the bars shook from left to right very agressively. Another couple more seconds I think I would have crashed. I've only riding probably less than 2000 miles in two years and most of it was at 55mp or faster. So this caught me by surprised. Prior to then it has been 27 years since I've riden.

I put 32 psi in the front and I think 47 psi in the back just a couple days ago. As for Air shock pressure I put it about 18 front and I think about 55 rear just yesterday. I'm 170 lbs and riding single with about 5 lbs of luggage.

I read another thread about shakey bars but it was referring to after changing bar grips with related to weights.

Mine has stock rips.

Anyone know what I need to look at?

Not that familiar with these bike yet myself (just got my 83) but you should check your steering head bearings and make sure everything on your front end is properly torqued (like fork brace) and/or you may be in need of a Superbrace.

Ride safe,

Mike

I would also check the front tire for being off center on the rim (not seated properly) if you just had it changed...not sure if you did have it changed out..

The rim could also be a bent if you hit a good size pot hole..only you would know..

but most likely the neck bearings are loose as already mentioned..

It has a super brace and I just recently checked the bolts and they are tight. My 91 VR only has 6800 miles on it. Bought it about a month ago from the origional owner. It is in beautiful condition. I'll look into the steering soon. Meanwhile with the additional infomation I've provided about the 91 VR what other things could cause this.

Brian,

Trust me when I say that Larry has identified your problem with packing and adjusting your steering head bearings.

However, just about any bike will go into a decelleration wobble doing what you did. Now the real test is to lock the cruise control first and then take your hands lightly off the bars. If you get the wobble at say 40mph (and not at 70mph) then the loose head bearings are just starting to become a problem. But if it also does it at 70 then it's really time to do something about it.

But, sometimes tire condition will cause this, but the problem will always come back to the head bearings.

Hope this helps,

Rick

Went for a short ride today and needed to let go of the handel bars. Doing about 40mph +, when it got down to 35mph the bars shook from left to right very agressively. Another couple more seconds I think I would have crashed. I've only riding probably less than 2000 miles in two years and most of it was at 55mp or faster. So this caught me by surprised. Prior to then it has been 27 years since I've riden.

I put 32 psi in the front and I think 47 psi in the back just a couple days ago. As for Air shock pressure I put it about 18 front and I think about 55 rear just yesterday. I'm 170 lbs and riding single with about 5 lbs of luggage.

I read another thread about shakey bars but it was referring to after changing bar grips with related to weights.

Mine has stock rips.

Anyone know what I need to look at?

On my 83 if I use the throttle lock I can go forever without touching the bars. but if I let go without using the throttle lock it will start the deceleration wobble at about 35mph just like yours did. I figured it was the nature of the beast. But do like suggested and try it with your cruise on.

My 85 did this same thing at 35 mph with a new front tire and properly adjusted head bearings. The fix for me was new Progressive springs. I wasn't sure at the time what was causing the wobble but the bike would bottom out on small bumps so that is why I changed the springs and had discovered that the wobble was also gone.

Yah! Very common issue with the 1st gen's. As mentioned previously repack/replace bearings and adjust nut tension, add a super brace, install progressive springs, and check/replace front tire to fix the issue. It usually occurs around 30 to 50 MPH but as long as you hold the handlebars it doesn't have a chance to start...