The shaft that the external linkage from the foot pedal that goes through the stator cover will move in & out about an 1/8". The stator cover hole works as a pivot point for the linkage. There is no possibility of oil leakage due to this movement. At this point it is all still outside the motor block.

The inside of the stator cover portion of shaft then attaches to another linkage that connects to the shaft that goes through the block. Yhis linkage point should have no lateral movement.

1st picture shows what is behind cover.

Gary

Dingy,

Not to highjack the thread...but it looks like it ran its course anyway!

in the "internal" picture, is that the shift indicator just to the left of the shifter?

My 88 will indicate 4th and 5th, and the neutral light works...but it doesn't show when I'm in 1,2, or 3rd.

Where do you suggest I start trouble shooting for that fix.

The tan colored triangular shaped plate is the contacts for the gear positions.

There is a 6 pin connector that goes to this switch located in the area of the shock damper on the left rear side. All 6 pins are used in this connector. Also in the same area is another 6 pin connector for the pick-up coils, only 5 pins are used in this connector.

With the selector cable, seperate connection and check for continuity to ground on each pin. Look at schematics in 1st gen tech section. Probe the cable side that goes to the contact plate.

http://www.venturerider.org/wiring/84-85%20Yamaha%20Venture%20Royale%20DL%20Wiring%20Diagram%20Rev%20C.pdf

Circuits in lower left corner for gear position. You will need to shift tranny into each position then check appropriate connection to ground.

Gary