IGNORED

Trike vs truck tire

Venturous Randy

A guy that I worked with sent me some pictures of one of his friend's Goldwing trike and a truck tire. This guy was on his trike and his wife was on her trike in front of him. A wheel/tire came off an 18 wheeler and came across the median and nailed him. He did get some injuries of road rash, a mild concussion and some chest pains, but he is doing OK. This guy was really lucky and for sure lucky his wife was on her own bike.

RandyA

I've seen what those tires can do to cars let alone a bike so am always watching for stuff like this but in the end sometimes you just can't win. That fellow was very lucky he was riding solo. A passenger would of gotten some serious hurt there I'd think.

Oh Dan with your batting average with them insurance companies I hardly doubt you'd be able to get one bike let alone several. Just saying friend.:stirthepot:

Larry

For the sake a split second this was not a fatality. The man was as lucky as you can ever be.

After a long career in transportation and 13 years of that in transportation safety I know one thing will come with this. He will be taken care of without much of a fight. I can't remember a situation around here where in something like this the transportation companies insurance wasn't ready and willing to deal with it in a more than fair manner.

Never hurts to have a lawyer than can rattle off a number of cases where truck lines have been found negligent in maintanence.

I hope he heals well.

Mike

Good Lord...:shock3:

Those truck wheel/tire combos are HEAVY!! Really heavy and when they're moving, they have an incredible amount of energy behind them.

I worked in a truckstop for 9 years. I can tell you why the wheel fell off. It's completely on the shop that mounted that wheel.

Fwiw, he can go to safersys.org and go to company snapshot and enter the company's dot # and see what their safety stats are, if they have a dot #. Will give you an idea of what kind of carrier he's dealing with. Knowing what I know now, they're alot of unsafe carriers our there.

Edited by jfoster

Good Lord...:shock3:

Those truck wheel/tire combos are HEAVY!! Really heavy and when they're moving, they have an incredible amount of energy behind them.

I worked in a truckstop for 9 years. I can tell you why the wheel fell off. It's completely on the shop that mounted that wheel.

I don't know bout the tire shop (not disagreeing with you),...I stopped a dump a few months ago and out of ten lug nuts he had six that were loose on the steer axle. In this case, the driver never took the time to pretrip or posttrip his truck. It had been like this long enough for it to start elongating the bolt holes. He would have drove it till the wheel would have eventually stressed the lugs and broken off. There's not alot of driver's out there anymore that actually take care or inspect their equipment. And alot of companies who don't care if their equipment is safe and the drivers will tell you thanks for stopping me and inspecting my truck, cause the owner won't fix or maintain it.

Wow, what a very close call. Thank God no one got killed. I too was thinking about the new larger single tires the trucks are running now. Pre-Trip inspection is very important. We check our trucks at work every time we get in them (Ky State Hwy Dept.). Still things happen. We should alwys check these bikes as well, before any long trips or just the short ones.

I found this out just last week. I felt my bike was feeling kinda weird. So I started with the air and went on to other things. I checked the tires and saw no real worries. I rode it some more, to work. Still weird. I ask the guys at work to help me check my tires as I rolled it forward at work. Well the rear tire had two very worn spots in the middle, to the threads. I made it home and parked it for good until I get able and willing to order and change my tires. Avon Venoms with around 12,000 miles on them. I did not realize I had that many miles on those tires.

Pre- Trip Inspection ........

Fuzzy