IGNORED

Nice Harley Riders

saddlebum

While heading along the 401 to Guelph a piece of metal came out from under a car. Despite my efforts to avoid it, my front tire caught the edge of that crazy bouncing piece of metal. I got off at HWY 6 and I pulled off to inspect my tire to make sure I had no major concerns. While inspecting my front tire two Harley riders pulled off the road to see if I needed any help. I thought that was real kind of them., and wanted to mention it given the negative comments they sometimes get.

My wife and I bought two vespa scooters to tool around town, most fun you can have with your pants on!!!! I noticed that most bikers including the harleys waved to us, only the rice rockets looked the other way. Found a Vespa web site and was suprised at all the Harley riders that own them!

They had just ridden a good 5 mile run and were in need of a break,,,, they just didn't want to admit it and still had 5 miles to go to the next bar,,, so you provided a good excuse,,,,,

Just to keep things in perspective though, a lot, if not most Harley riders waved at me this year,, maybe it's just my age and my looks.

First year I got back into motorcycling I went to the outer Banks bike week and stopped at Vertigo Tattoo (just before the Virginia Dare ) it was a camp ground for a BUNCH of lifestyle bikers. Setting next to the house was the finest collection of Schwinn Whizzers you'll ever see and they were as proud of those whizzers as they were of their "sleds"

My experience over the years has been that the "bad" Harley riders tend to be people who are new to motorcycling and are just trying to project a "tough guy" image. The long time "actual" Harley riders (More than 2,000 km per season.) are typical riders like the rest of us and have a preference for their machine. They are in it for the ride not for the image. Every "rider with a Harley attitude" that I've met had been riding less than 2,000 km per season and often, for less than 3 years. Now I'm not saying this is true for all of them, but it certainly seems to be true for a majority. My feeling has always been that I don't care what someone rides, as long as they do ride and the "real" Harley riders I've met, felt the same way. As for kidding each other about our rides, we've been doing that since tricycles and our first Schwinns...what has been important all along, was that we respected each other and we enjoyed the feeling of freedom a bike can give you, regardless of who makes it.

Andy

The Harley riders you meet out on the road are guys just like us that love bikes. As long as you're on two wheels, they don't give a crap what you ride. The ones that give them all a bad name are the ones you find hanging out at the Harley store every weekend. They didn't buy the bike to ride, they bought it for some image they're trying to uphold. And yep, we all give each other hell over the kind of bike we ride, I really like pokin' the geriatric Gold Wing bunch myself.

As I was doing Trail Ridge Rd when at the top I met two brothers! One from Brazil and working in the US was on his Harley; the other who lives in CO was on his new Yamaha something! We road together for awhile :322:after exchanging histories, comments and taking photographs. Neat.

Jack T

PS ... yep, the wore helmets!