IGNORED

auxillary lights

My 06 RSV has 12.8V / 30W auxillary bulbs in it now and I would like something brighter. Before I start to experiment and blow fuses, how high can I go on the Watts before I start to blow fuses? On my last bike I actually had 40W landscaping lights and they worked well. They are the exact same bulb size as what is in there now.

I am not really interested in spending a ton of money on the LEDs and I would like the lights to still match the headlight.

Thanks

Mongo

IMHO I'd say keep your lights within the load parameter of the wiring capacity.... with fuses to match. Our Ventures are not known for having the greatest electric capacity..... which explains why many of us have upgraded to the high-intensity LED's all around.

Boomer.....who sez carrying pygmies with high-capacity flashlights has a few benefits too.:whistling:

I have run 55 watt bulbs on several Ventures with no issues. Now what I will say is if your trying to get more light in a specific place then you should look at the Degree angle of the actual lens. They can start at 15 Degree and go up from there. This will throw the light at different intensities and depending upon what you want, you might need to address that. I will also add, and this is just my personal observation with my eyeballs that you will still see everything on a 30 watt light as you will on a 55 watt pretty fairly close....

:2cents:

I have run 55 watt bulbs on several Ventures with no issues. Now what I will say is if your trying to get more light in a specific place then you should look at the Degree angle of the actual lens. They can start at 15 Degree and go up from there. This will throw the light at different intensities and depending upon what you want, you might need to address that. I will also add, and this is just my personal observation with my eyeballs that you will still see everything on a 30 watt light as you will on a 55 watt pretty fairly close....

:2cents:

I run 55W also but only in the summer. Then I switch to the 35W for the winter since I run some heated accessories. I need to look into the LED PAR 36 lights!

:farmer:

Let me be the first to say that before you make any changes in "bulbs" is that you make sure the passing lights are powered by a separate relay, NOT from one of the headlight wires!

:sign yeah that:

I totally agree with Walt here, make sure that the lights have their own dedicated wire with a fuse in it. I always run them into a relay and use heavy enough wire to feed the lights all they want. If it was wired by the dealer it is wrong and it will fail.