IGNORED

1500 wing advice

bull463

Hi all

I rode a 1800 wing to Big Toms rally last weekend. What a nice ride. I see there is a 1990 1500 wing localy with about 30000 miles on it. Just woundering anything I should look for and is the power from a 1800 to a 1500 a lot? Also is the ride about the same as far as leg room and comfort?

Thanks

Bull463

Tom,

1500 Goldwing is only similar in my opinion to the 1800 by the Honda Goldwing Name.

Experence.

My father has had two 1994 1500 Goldwings and I can say that over the years I have a few 1,000 miles on them. Leg room is very similar but power & agility are night and day. The 1800 has much more power and agility. I live in the mountains and ride like a stole the bike most of the time. We ride two up and the 1500 is just lacking in the power and agility.

OK, However the bike is very sound for the most part. My father has had one with 191,000 mile and only had a new clutch for any real maintance issues. His current wing has 108,000 miles and no issues yet!

The 1500 drags the pegs to easy while the 1800 is more like the first Gen.

Good luck!

The 1500 does not use a stator, but a true automotive alternator. It can be removed in about 15 minutes, just gotta hold your mouth right while you do it!

The brushes in the alt build up dust and stick, so should be blown out annually. Bearings (alt) can be replaced cheaply. The alternator in the 1990 was a Japanese built unit (actually same guts as the GM Saturn with a different front housing) and rarely went bad. In 1995 (I think, going from memory) they changed to a Chinese manufacturer. These were junk, often went bad (shorted windings) in 30-40k miles. A guy in Valparaso Indiana makes a good living rewinding and selling these. Don't let charging system horror stories scare you off of a good GL1500.

As far as comfort, it's a very personal thing. I rode a 1500 for 6 years and knew it inside and out. Great bike. However, I was always messing with the seat to try to get better comfort. Never did get it right. Loved that bike though, and got tears in my eyes when I watched the buyer drive away with it. They take a lickin' and keep on tickin'.

Now have an 1800, bought in May of 2010. Seat is great, especially with the $20 walmart pad. Yes, it will outrun and out corner the 1500, no doubt. It also seems to have a shorter seat height, which helps if you are inseam challenged like me. I would not go back to a 1500.....HOWEVER, there are lots of GW riders who sold their 1500's and bought an 1800...and then sold the 1800 and went back to the 1500. The suspension on the 1800 is stiffer. Jars you around a bit more than the 1500. A 1500 with Progressives front and rear rides like you are sitting on a cloud. The 1800 is tuned for a more "sporty" ride. Can be modified if you don't mind some work and $$$.

There's my opinion for what it's worth. The 1500 is a fine machine.

Thanks for this info Freezy ... I've been eyeballing a few 1500 for sale and there are sure some nice ones that come up.

Question.... what's the power on the 1500 like compared to the RSV ???

Thanks for this info Freezy ... I've been eyeballing a few 1500 for sale and there are sure some nice ones that come up.

Question.... what's the power on the 1500 like compared to the RSV ???

Horsepower is the same....one is rated 97 and one is rated 98 if I remember right. Having owned both, I think they'd be about a dead heat in a 1/4 mile run....or at top end for that matter. The 1500 has great low end power. I used to slow down to 35 when passing through a small town, then speed back up to 60 when out of town...all without downshifting. When the speed zone ends just twist the throttle, you don't get the lugging that you get with the RSV.

The 1500 does not use a stator, but a true automotive alternator. It can be removed in about 15 minutes, just gotta hold your mouth right while you do it!

The brushes in the alt build up dust and stick, so should be blown out annually. Bearings (alt) can be replaced cheaply. The alternator in the 1990 was a Japanese built unit (actually same guts as the GM Saturn with a different front housing) and rarely went bad. In 1995 (I think, going from memory) they changed to a Chinese manufacturer. These were junk, often went bad (shorted windings) in 30-40k miles. A guy in Valparaso Indiana makes a good living rewinding and selling these. Don't let charging system horror stories scare you off of a good GL1500.

As far as comfort, it's a very personal thing. I rode a 1500 for 6 years and knew it inside and out. Great bike. However, I was always messing with the seat to try to get better comfort. Never did get it right. Loved that bike though, and got tears in my eyes when I watched the buyer drive away with it. They take a lickin' and keep on tickin'.

Now have an 1800, bought in May of 2010. Seat is great, especially with the $20 walmart pad. Yes, it will outrun and out corner the 1500, no doubt. It also seems to have a shorter seat height, which helps if you are inseam challenged like me. I would not go back to a 1500.....HOWEVER, there are lots of GW riders who sold their 1500's and bought an 1800...and then sold the 1800 and went back to the 1500. The suspension on the 1800 is stiffer. Jars you around a bit more than the 1500. A 1500 with Progressives front and rear rides like you are sitting on a cloud. The 1800 is tuned for a more "sporty" ride. Can be modified if you don't mind some work and $$$.

What he said! Bear in mind that the GL 1500 and the GL1800 are completely different machines. I'd strongly suggest your RIDE the GL1500 before you get too serious. Some folks love 'em, others not so much. To ME, I felt the older 'wings were a touch "heavy" in the handling department and didn't feel very agile. However as has been noted, many of the Goldwing faithing LOVE the 1500 and don't care as much for the 1800. It certainly is a quality machine and would be worth checking out. If it suits YOU, it would be a great machine.

Thanks guys

All the info was great. Im a caddie kind of guy I dont go flying into courners If they made bikes that were 1500 pounds I would have one I do like comfort. Ive never owned anything but full dress bikes.

Thanks

Bull463

• 3 weeks later...

I put 90000 miles on my 97. pulling a bunkhouse camper. Plenty of horse power. Top end is the same as the 1800 just takes longer to get there. Was on the Shrine drill team yup 1500 is a little harder to handle but actually more comfy on a road trip. I have 88000 on my 1800 although I love it the 1500 is more comfy even with a made for me gel seat. Also the back rest for the passenger leans back further on the 1800 than the 1500 making it less comfy for the passenger. Total miles on wing around 800000 miles on wings since 75, for nimbleness and handling 1800 for comfort 1500. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it. Ride em both make up your own mind. By the way my 97 now has 245000 miles on it just talked to the guy I sold it to a few months back he has had no issues, changed timing belts at 100000 and 200000 thats it. If you take care of em and run e it like you stole it they last forever:grandpa:

Ride them both then decide. I had a 1500 for several years and several thousand miles. It was a great bike on the long haul. Rode it to the easst coast and back acouple of times. Very dependable.

My 1800 is a great sport bike with saddle bags. Just as dependable.

You do need to ride them both as they are quite a bit different but both have their +s.

Good luck and let us know whhat you decide.