IGNORED

2001 RSV Chripping sound

As it says in the title. I get a chripping sound in every gear, the faster I go the faster the chrip goes. The dealer says no way its the clutch basket and that is is something else. Anyone have any thoughts on what it could be. The bike has only 26,000 miles on it as I found it in a guys basement last spring.

Thanks in advance.

Richie R

There is a lot of threads here about that wounderful music our ventures sing to us. Some folks have found the problem to be in the final drive. But most of us know for a fact that it is in the clutch. Keep reading you will find many posts about this subject.

With your bike shut off, in neutral, roll the bike backwards and forward about three feet in each direction. Do you hear any grinding or noise at all coming from rear wheel?

If not, then I would agree that the noise if coming from clutch basket..or elsewhere..

If you DO hear a grinding noise then it is the rear hub pins. They need cleaned, and re-greased..

tech article on how to do this is here:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=13263

Best fix for the chirp is earplugs, if you ride without a helmet, or a good fullface helmet if you ride with.

The only time I'm annoyed by the chirp is during certain riding conditions, mostly involving lower-speed city type riding, when I don't have a helmet or earplugs handy. Other than that, I don't notice it.

I have ridden my brothers 07 midnite venture and his is very quiet no chrip or drone. I back my bike out of the garage which is about 8 feet and no noise. I have the chrip in all gears. The noise is related to engine rpm slower the rpm slower the chrip faster rpms faster sounding chrip. I guess I will be doing a bunch more reading on here.

Thanks

Richie R

One of the things about the chirp is, it isn't always noticeable. Bearing in mind, each person's hearing sensitivities are unique to that person. Some people notice sounds others don't.

I usually ride without a helmet, so I can hear pretty much everything the bike is doing. Sounds I hear are strongly influenced by ambient wind. If wind is blowing strongly from the side, maybe I hear the chirp (and other bike noises) differently than when it is blowing from the rear, or the front.

Some days I don't hear the chirp at all. Or, I don't notice it. Maybe I'm thinking about other things and the chirp just isn't in my mind. But, once I notice it, it drives me crazy. That's when I reach for the earplugs, or just put on my fullface. Once I notice the chirp, it seems to magnify itself. After all, why should this one noise among the several dozen noises a motorcycle makes, bother me so much? If I eliminate the chirp altogether, there is still the valves, the exhaust, the tires, and the wind. All added together they make a tremendous amount of noise. Those noises can't be eliminated, and neither can the chirp. If it could, Yam would've done it long ago. The chirp has cost Yam huge amounts of money in repairs and lost sales. It is probably equivalent to the Roadstar knock, in terms of something they wish they could fix, but can't without a complete redesign.