IGNORED

Potential buyer questions

Hello, this is my first post. I am looking at a 2005 RSTD with 24K on it. It has a complete custom paint job, quadzilla fairing, hard bags a tour trunk, Supertrapps, K&N pods and probably every other thing you can think of. Here is my question...

I am 5'8" tall with a 29-30" inseam. Yea.. I am a short guy.

I have had many bikes over the years and although I feel more comfortable on smaller bikes I prefer the big touring bikes.

Regarding big bikes.. I have owned

2000 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500FI

2001 Honda Valkyrie

1990 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic

I sold the Valkyrie because I just couldn't flat foot the bike even after I had the seat shaved. I even dropped it once with my wife on it trying to park.

I fit on the Vulcan 1500FI perfectly but I sold it because it has spokes and I got a flat on a rear tire once that took 9 hours for a tow truck to come. No more spokes for me.

I also fit on the Ultra Classic perfectly after I cut down the seat. I sold it because it had an electrical issue and it was starting to leak. Great bike though.

I checked out this 2005 RSTD. The original owner put 20K in to it. Its absolutely beautiful. I sat on it and I could flat foot the bike. I was shocked because the bike has gel inserts in the seats. It just didn't feel as heavy as the Ultra Classic or the Valkyrie but from what I have read its a bear for low speed maneuvering and it does weigh every bit as much as those bikes weigh and I will say.. its enormous!!

I am concerned about things like backing into spaces. It was very difficult wih the Ultra Classic. That bike also felt very top heavy.

So.. what I am asking is... and I know this is a fairly subjective question, is the 2005 RSTD all loaded up with a fairing and a tour trunk too big of a bike for a short guy?

The reason I am asking is because before I bought the Valkyrie fellow riders told me that it doesn't matter about the size or my size.. I will get use to it. I joined the Valkyrie forum and found out that 90% of the owners were all big guys... 5'-10" to 6'-5" tall and that most of the short guys like me were scrambling around trying to find ways to lower the bike or the seat. I never did get used to that bike.

Any insight or comments for a potential buyer are appreciated.

John,

The RSTD is a great machine and the stature is a bit shorter like you have noticed. Dont take this wrong, but whats your age and are you prone to issues with your knees? The reason I ask this is that they are a heavy bike, they take a little getting used to. If your in relatively good shape and have a decent sence of balance it shouldn't be an issue. I am caretaker of one of our members '06 TD while he's doing some work up in Joplin Missouri as he wanted it to be ridden...I was happy to oblige him.

I have had 8 Ventures 4 1st gens and 4 RSV's, they take a little getting used to as the RSV is a bit top heavy, but there is a lot of electronics up in the fairing and for that fact the inner and outer fairing. I really enjoy this TD I am riding and it's easier for me to play with than my RSV's. You will probably be ok with it, just have to remember a few things like where you park and such...:2cents:

I happen to have a 2005 RSTD, and the reason that I bought it was because it didn't have all of that stuff like fairing, tour trunk, and everything else that makes a bike top heavy. Seems if you want all of that, you should just go and buy a Venture.

If you want a RSTD without all of that, you will be getting a bike with lower center of gravity, and handles much differently. Better in my opinion.

Good luck in whatever you get,

Steve

I have a 29inch inseam and can flatfoot either my RSTD or my RSV (with old style seat).

The RSV is slightly more top heavy than the RSTD, as I expect this customized RSTD is that you're thinking about purchasing.

I don't know what you're paying for the RSTD, but as already suggested, if you want a Venture, buy one instead of a one-of-a-kind RSTD. Unless you are getting a very good $ deal.

Either of them requires more leg strength than my Triumph which is 300 lbs lighter.

John,

The RSTD is a great machine and the stature is a bit shorter like you have noticed. Dont take this wrong, but whats your age and are you prone to issues with your knees? The reason I ask this is that they are a heavy bike, they take a little getting used to. If your in relatively good shape and have a decent sence of balance it shouldn't be an issue. I am caretaker of one of our members '06 TD while he's doing some work up in Joplin Missouri as he wanted it to be ridden...I was happy to oblige him.

I have had 8 Ventures 4 1st gens and 4 RSV's, they take a little getting used to as the RSV is a bit top heavy, but there is a lot of electronics up in the fairing and for that fact the inner and outer fairing. I really enjoy this TD I am riding and it's easier for me to play with than my RSV's. You will probably be ok with it, just have to remember a few things like where you park and such...:2cents:

No offense taken. I am 50. I am in very good shape. I have no problem supporting the bike. I am at the low side of 5'8" and I weigh about 185. I have a short inseam. It runs in our family. The problem I typically have with big bikes is low speed or no speed maneuvering. Especially if I have to back into a space which is very common when parking with a bunch of bikes. I also have problems with stopping smooth when my wife is on the back and its really hairy when I stop on a road where there might be an uneven road where I can't reach the ground. When I sat on the RSTD last night it was on a flat driveway and I could flat foot the bike if I full extended my legs. The bike is all custom painted and has a Qaudzilla fairing and a large trunk (tourpack) along with the hard factory bags. My plan if I buy the bike is to remove the large trunk. It looks great but I won't need it unless I do a very long trip. I think removing the trunk is going to change the feel of the bike. I removed the tourpack on my Ultra Classic and it was no longer top heavy. I think the same applies here. I am waiting to hear from the seller to see if he is going to accept my offer. This guy has several custom bikes and I think he dumped a ton of money into this one because it is absolutely loaded and beautiful.

The issue of stopping on uneven or sloping ground is a problem that requires caution. One does need a little extra leg to backup, and that is a valid concern.

I've avoided lowering kits because they change the geometry of the bike as it was designed.

I once bought a BMW that has too high of a saddle for me. It was a constant fight to avoid problems like you are concerned with. I wouldn't ride it double.

I'd give the bike a very good test ride to make sure none of the things you've outlined are a problem.