IGNORED

Metzler Update

jneed53

I put Metzlers on the scoot about 3500 miles ago. So far, so good. Good wear (mucho bettero than the Dunfloppeds) and none of the stated problems mentioned in previous threads. They handle well and I can discern no construction flaws. I did notice that my set was made in Germany. It seems that most problems are from the Brazilian-made tires. Just passing the info along. My riding is mostly 2-up and I tend to like to twist that thing on the right handlebar. I have none of the squirreliness (is that a word?) on grooved pavement or tar snakes previously noticed with the OTHER tires. I would recommend these with a note of caution to pay attention to the country of manufacture.

And I too like them, and with 2500 miles on them they handle a lot better then the OEM tires. And even with some pretty wild riding they look brand new. But I do keep the air checked and up in them. Running 44 in front and 46 in the back

Metzler's website recommends 49 for the rear tire. I've been running this 1 and 2 up with no problems, and the tire is looking good with 5000 miles on it. It may make it thru the winter!!! Sure beats changing tires three times a year!

Leonard

I wish you the best of luck with those tires (and your skin). Each of us makes our own decisions, and yours is not mine to second-guess. I know that many thousands of riders have used Metzeler without problems, but they will never go on my bike. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

I wish you the best of luck with those tires (and your skin). Each of us makes our own decisions, and yours is not mine to second-guess. I know that many thousands of riders have used Metzeler without problems, but they will never go on my bike. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

DITTO..I got 1700 miles on mine and when i examined cose on the rear tire I saw chunks starting to eat out from the tread and I am too scared to have that happen. Also wife said the Metz produced alot of heat from the rear and each time I felt of them thet were so HOT I could hardly touch them. Just my 2 cents..Avons are back on and HAPPY!

i have metzler880's on my rsv with about 14,000 miles.they still have fair tread,but the handling went away about 1,500 miles ago. it tends to get very loose in cornering.i've always kept the air pressure at 40lb.rear and 38 lb.front and mostly ride 2 up.

DITTO..I got 1700 miles on mine and when i examined cose on the rear tire I saw chunks starting to eat out from the tread and I am too scared to have that happen. Also wife said the Metz produced alot of heat from the rear and each time I felt of them thet were so HOT I could hardly touch them. Just my 2 cents..Avons are back on and HAPPY!

I had heard that if you take a reading of the tire pressure before you ride, then check the pressure after the tires have been completely warmed up, the pressure should not be over 4 to 5 lbs higher. If the tire is over this, the pressure is too low, causing the tire to overheat. The pressure needs to be increased.

Leonard

Ok, my experience...

I've had the ME880's on and ran them @14,500 miles this past summer and they (rear) is now down to the wear bars. Really never had any problems with them but the last few thousand miles they would howl when leaning.

2up 75% of the time with 44 psi front, 49 rear.....

Guest KitCarson
I am glad I read this post. Someone will try to tell you that the reason your tires are getting hot is because you are running them under-inflated.....let them sing!! A few years ago Firestone had some trouble with this same situation on vehicle tires.....they were built so as to where the belts in them would work loose and de-laminate. This is what created the heat and chunks of rubber coming off the tires........many of them blew out, did on one of my service trucks.......All I have read about Metzler bike tires.......seems to be a no brainer to me.........They will never go on my bike.......I have enough idiots in traffic to watch, do not wish to worry about tires. Of all the things on a bike........the most important thing as far as safety is concerned is your tires. I know I am on the extreme side......but if I get a nail in a tire..yes I will plug it long enough to get in......next day it gets a new tire. I want good tires under me......Thanks to all who have posted on this.......I will certainly avoid these tires. Kit

I am glad I read this post. Someone will try to tell you that the reason your tires are getting hot is because you are running them under-inflated.....let them sing!! A few years ago Firestone had some trouble with this same situation on vehicle tires.....they were built so as to where the belts in them would work loose and de-laminate. This is what created the heat and chunks of rubber coming off the tires........many of them blew out, did on one of my service trucks.......All I have read about Metzler bike tires.......seems to be a no brainer to me.........They will never go on my bike.......I have enough idiots in traffic to watch, do not wish to worry about tires. Of all the things on a bike........the most important thing as far as safety is concerned is your tires. I know I am on the extreme side......but if I get a nail in a tire..yes I will plug it long enough to get in......next day it gets a new tire. I want good tires under me......Thanks to all who have posted on this.......I will certainly avoid these tires. Kit

Kit,You are SO right..I check my tire pressure before and after ALL my rides and I had them correct at all times. We had a guy blow one out North of Junction on a ride last year that

nearly killed him and his wife. While I will not tell anyone what tire to run I will give the hands on knowledge that I personally know of them. Usually in life I will give things a " 3 times and you are out" test...That does NOT apply to a motorcycle tire I am riding on. I am glad the others are watching there tires closely and if nothing else MAYBE these posts will make ALL aware of Any tires they are on and keep a close eye on all of them. Again,just my 3 cents worth now! Tom