IGNORED

changing handlebars

I searched for this and have not found any answers to this, I would like to change my handle bars to ape hangers and would like to do myself but would like as much info in what to look into, like handle bars sizes how does that work because of the fairing we have, how would i know what size cable i would need for the throttle and for the brakes and clutch, also how and where do i change the clutch hose is that a diffical job.

I never changed my handle myself so i would like to make sure i dont miss anything.

I would also like to ask if anyone has seen any risers that have a 6" pull back but with no rise at all so i can just use the stock bars.

ok thank for all your help and hope to hear from you all soon.

I've changed handlebars on a couple of other bikes I've owned, and went back to the original bars after a few months. The most recent case was my 03 VTX1800C. I put on the longer bars that came on the VTX Retro. I wanted more reach so's I could lean back against the backrest on my Corbin Dual Tour. The stock bars were too short. And, to keep this in perspective, these longer bars were in no way close to what one might call apehangers. They were just longer-wider than stock C. Apes would have been an entirely different bucket of worms.

It is never a simple thing to do, especially on a bike like the Venture. Depending on how high you want to go, you'll have to change out several other things besides the bars. Things like throttle cables, hydraulic lines for front brakes and clutch. Wiring for switchgear. Etc. It is a large project and will cost a lot more and involve a lot more work than many people realize before undertaking the project.

I didn't like the longer bars. They transmitted noticeably more vibration to my hands. They gave the bike a sort of floppy feel. They looked weird on the C. After using them for about a year, I put the original stuff back on and was immediately happier.

As far as apes go, I've heard many people praise them, but they seem dumb to me. They must surely impede countersteering. That's how we steer a motorcycle; wouldn't want to make that harder to do. The Venture is beast enough to steer esp at slow speeds. How much harder that would be to do with apes? I don't know, and wouldn't spend the hundreds of $ to find out.

I don't want to go to big just about shoulder high maybe a inch higher buy that's all, and since I'm also changing the front tire to a smaller size like everyone else did I think the apes won't be that bad so again Id anyone knows anyone that's done this to a venture any info would be great thanks

I don't want to go to big just about shoulder high maybe a inch higher buy that's all, and since I'm also changing the front tire to a smaller size like everyone else did I think the apes won't be that bad so again Id anyone knows anyone that's done this to a venture any info would be great thanks

I have 18" apes on a vulcan 800 bobber I put together and love them just at shoulders. I also looked at putting apes on the venture for some time. I have not found any that will fit using stock risers because all bagger bars are made for HD and the risers are spaced different. I actually last year took my bars off while sitting in JP Cycle parking lot during bike week and tried many different bars. I finally ended up going with stock RSTD bars for the pull back and little rise. Much more comfortable ride now. Good luck on the apes I would like to see it if you do find some.