icon1.gif RSTD

Looking to buy one, that is a Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe. I drove two over the weekend. The first was an 06 at a dealer with 30k. it had corrosion on it I think it has been ridden up north in the salt. When I drove it I found things like cruise and self canceling turn signals that didn't work. Although it ran OK when I returned with it the dealer asked what I thought about it and I replied "Road hard and put away wet".

The second one was a black 06 bought new in 07 with 9k miles on it, WOW what a gorgeous bike I was ready to just put it in the trailer. But, we test rode it as you should and was disappointed with the obnoxious WINE and the slow speed steering was scary, it felt like the front tire was flat. The bike was difficult to turn then would turn like it was going to flop, so you had to push it hard then hold on as to not over steer. Now very frustrated we had to walk away from this bike as well.

On our drive of 2-1/2 hours back home I realized I had hot feet ridding both bikes. I currently ride a VTX 1800 C with forward controls and my feet never get hot. Is the hot feet normal on this bike with the floorboards and the chin fairings? I ride in southern FL and most of the time it is 85 degrees plus so I'm wondering if anyone has installed vents in the faring or even cut holes in them to duct air back around the floorboards? Also any suggestions of what was wrong with the steering on that bike?

We bought an 07 RSTD w/15 months of remaining warranty. I have added the wind wing air deflectors and hwy pegs which these photos do not show, the rest of the mods were on the bike at time of purchase. I also have bought a Shark stereo and have to get it installed this next week. BTW the deflectors fixed the hot feet issue along with the highway pegs.

Edited by jrsain
I bought one!!!!

Sounds like you just looked at two bikes that have not been properly maintained. The whine is an issue, but to varying degrees - some loud, some less so. If you have an aftermarket exhaust slip on put on you should not be able to hear the whine.

The 'hot feet' problem will be an issue for you if you enjoy the wind. No, you cannot cut holes or take off the lower cowlings as they hold electronics, fuse box, cruise control amongst other items. The best that you can do is get wind deflectors and/or foot pegs. This bike is great for those who like a little more wind protection or for cold weather riding. I can think of many other bikes that are better for hot weather riding though...

Make sure when you try out this bike you rev it hard and very high. If you ride it like your VTX you will not be happy. Its a V-4 engine and should be treated as such. The low-end torque isn't going to be anywhere near your VTX either, but if you managed to hit highway speeds in 2nd gear you will have witnessed something pretty amazing. And no, you won't hurt the bike.

Jerry,

The steering does sound like a low tire, maybe the steering head bearing too tight.

Could also be the brand of tire (Brimstones?).

Yamaha does sell lower vents for the RSTD and the RSV, I have them on both of mine.

They do more good in the winter to keep the cold off you. In the summer you can direct them inboard but it tends to push heat out on your legs.

They are water cooled and yes, hotter ride at lower speeds.

But I ride one every day and today is 100 degrees and tomorrow,,, 103.

You wern't wearing no Florida flip-flops were you?

There is a guy on the STAR Touring fourm with two RSTD's for sale, Al Baker.

I thought he lives in FL but his bikes are in GA just above Atlanta.

He knows bikes, he was a former SE director for ST.

I don't see any on VR right now, so, here is his ST post:

i have two (2) 2005 rstd motorcycles for sale can email pictures

these motorcycles are in my garage in canton, georgia (north of atlanta)

black/gray 35k miles 85% rubber dunlop elite 3 running lights good condition $6995.00

black/red 10k miles running lights and driver back rest. $7595.00

al baker

404-368-5755 cell

770-720-9554 work

Abaker@cycle-nation.com

patalbaker@aol.com

Warm weather riding can get the boots heated up. I put Kury hiway pegs on my RSTD. Keeps the feet nice and cool.

The other side of the coin concerns my Ohio riding seasons. That heat from the engine is a blessing when it cools off up here.

MoS

If that front tire did not have at least 36 psi in it it will definitely feel heavy. I run 38 psi in my front tire. Just because its at a dealer, don't assume they checked the tire pressure. Get them to put 38 in the front 41 in the rear and 25 pounds in the rear shock and take it for another ride.

These are great bikes but they are not light. However the extra weight makes them stable on the highway at the expense of some slow speed handling.

I don't know of many bikes that won't be hot riding here in Florida. I always wear boots so don't notice heat on my feet that much. Down here in August my whole body is hot, even with the windshield off. As mentioned you can put high way pegs on the front crash bar. I trimmed down the heel toe shifter so I can put my feet back on the floor board if i want them under me instead of in front of me.

My bike won't be back down here from vacation for at least another month or you could come by and check it out seeing that we're almost neighbors. I have made some changes to mine, there's pics posted in threads and in my profile.

Mine has some whine and chirp but have nothing to compare to having not ever ridden another one. Prior owner had the basket changed and he said it was better. Also to fairly compare, you have to test ride every bike with the windshield on. With the windshield off on mine you cant hear it (I wear a full face helmet).

There's one for sale on craigslist up in Tampa (parrish). Been on there for a while might be able to make a deal on it. Anyway let us know what you end up with regardless of the brand.

RSTDdog

Jerry,

Here is a link to the ST swap shop for the 2 RSTD's I noted above.

It includes some pictures.

I'm guessing you can get there without membership:

http://www.startouring.org/forum/default.aspx?f=12&m=128195

I'll check with Al and see if he wants me to post in VR classifieds.

Mike G in SC

It says I'm not authorized to view.

Thanks Though,

Jerry

We got the job done Friday afternoon in Ft Pierce FL, it is an 07, it had 20k on the clock with 15 months of factory warranty remaining. The attached photos are at the dealership, they made me a sweet deal with taking my VTX in trade. They were a Honda dealer and not Yamaha maybe it made some difference.

I have a question and remember my bike is a RSTD not a Venture, how little air can I run in the rear and not hurt something? It had "0" in it and we liked the ride yet would some what bottom out on severe dips in the road, otherwise rode like a dream. Today I put 35psi in the rear and didn't care for the stiffness one up. So I'm thinking about running 5-10psi in it, any problem with that?

Hey RSTDdog give me a call 239-560-6934.

Here are the Photos at home.

Edited by jrsain

Nice!!! I like the two tone ones, that one is sharp. And it already has the passing lamps and rear rack to boot, that's nearly 400.00 in accessories.

No problem running 5-10 psi in the rear. Run what feels good. The Prior Owner of mine ran 0 psi. Riding two up with my wife I run around 40psi. I don't bother dropping it for solo, don't mind it a little stiffer personally.

I'll try giving you a call tomorrow.

Derrek

RSTDdog

And it already has the passing lamps and rear rack to boot, that's nearly 400.00 in accessories.

RSTDdog

I'm not familiar with the RSTD, but looks like aftermarket grips more :mo money:

and is the trim rail around the front fender standard?

Purdy!!! Looks like you came out OK!!!:)

Oh, I almost forgot,:welcome1:to the asylum!!! :rotf:

Welcome

Yea nice bike.. same one I have.

Looks like you got aftermarket back rest (Utopian maybe) also

and the front fender rail and ornament/light are add-ons as well

Yes my feet get hot also.. in SE Texas.. Ride with boots anyhow or they will really burn and added Kuryaken Longhorn Foot pegs to get them out in the wind. I have the wind deflectors also, but as Mike said more noticeable in winter time than summer.

One of the first mods you might want to do is change the stock horn on the right side to a Stebel or Wolo air horn. search the sight.. many threads about it.

Enjoy

-Keith

I'm not familiar with the RSTD, but looks like aftermarket grips more :mo money:

and is the trim rail around the front fender standard?

Purdy!!! Looks like you came out OK!!!:)

Oh, I almost forgot,:welcome1:to the asylum!!! :rotf:

You are correct, I missed the fender rail and didn't look close enough to notice the grips either. And Globewalker pointed out the Driver back rest. Looks like it has a Goldwing style vent in the windshield (I want one of those) and can't tell if it has a drink holder or oif thats something on the shelf behind the bike. One of the benefits of Used over new, is they will often have accessories already installed and it dosen't typically affect the price. If you shop you can usually find one with accessories for the same price as one with out. Good Job, and Welcome.

RSTDdog

Thanks for the nice complements. It is funny when you buy something new and think you have digested everything about it, then a week later you are washing the bike and you realize that the rear brake light SS visor that you have on your wish list is already on your bike. I cant believe I didn't see it when I bought the bike. The biggest thing I'm enjoying is the windshield, it is a tinted ClearView two up w/top re curve and vent. It also came with the stock shield/plastic and I was sure I would be switching it back to the stock, but like I said I'm loving it. I just love the rear view!

I have the Kury Iso pegs and the vents and it puts your feet in the wind so it is no problem. The vents don't really help cool your feet but help keep them warm in the cold.

Take it out to a parking lot and get used to it at slow speed. After you practice a little on it they handle pretty good. I do this every spring.

Hey I know I am a ways from you, about 600ish miles but I am putting my 07 up for sale. If interested let me know and I can send photos. I just put some Elite 3s on her so they are basically new, I also have a Mustang seat. Both are for sale locally and ebay.

Oh By the way it is the RSTD Midnight:big-grin-emoticon: