IGNORED

Fuel cock and shifting ?'s

Just wondering if you need to really turn the fuel cock off after riding (I forget to do it)?

Also if the fuel warning light comes on can you move to reserve on the fly while riding?

Also manual says to shift from 4th to 5th (O/D) at 31 mph, this seems pretty low to go into O/D gear. Just wondering if most people wait until around 35 - 40 to shift to O/D.

Thanks for the help, only had the bike for a few weeks and still getting to know it.

Glad I found this site.

Turn petcock on reserve and leave it there. You should turn it once in a while so it doesn't freeze up. No need to turn it on and off. The old ones were bad about that and then handle would break when you tried to move it. These things like RPMs. I rarely shift mine that low but its just a Old Wore Out 1st Gen..... :whistling::whistling:

And WELCOME!! Ask questions we got answers. I even think a few right ones!

gee...on a first gen I'm just getting out of 2nd at 50mph:stickpoke:

I hit 2nd at 47 MPH when I am hammering it. Rarely do that though, very unsafe.

:sign I win:

As far as the petcock, and this is on a 1st gen, the only time I have ever moved it from the reserve position is when I pulled tank off bike or changed fuel filter. That's me though, I know some like to shut them off every time, probably doesn't hurt a thing to do this if you want to.

Gary

Yes you can turn the fuel cock on the fly. If you run low on fuel (engine looses power and sputters) and have to go to reserve on the run it will take a second or two for the bike to recover. Or switch to reserve before that happens.

No you don't have to shut the fuel valve off when the bike is parked but you should. If a float were to stick or become gummed up a carburetor could flood over. This could drain the fuel from your tank onto the ground or into your engine.

I don't know why the manual recommends shifting at those ridiculous speeds. It is very easy to lug your engine in fifth gear so use it sparingly. Get used to winding this engine out. Riding will be more enjoyable.

Mike

Just wondering if you need to really turn the fuel cock off after riding (I forget to do it)?

Also if the fuel warning light comes on can you move to reserve on the fly while riding?

Also manual says to shift from 4th to 5th (O/D) at 31 mph, this seems pretty low to go into O/D gear. Just wondering if mo st people wait until around 35 - 40 to shift to O/D.

Thanks for the help, only had the bike for a few weeks and still getting to know it.

Glad I found this site.

I never turn the fuel cock off except if I am trailering it. Trailered once in the five years I have owned it.

I leave the fuel cock in the "on" or "run" position (whatever it says) and don't turn it to "reserve" until the engine starts to die.

Just the habit I have got into. On most of the bikes I've owned I have left the fuel cock on "reserve".

BOO

Also manual says to shift from 4th to 5th (O/D) at 31 mph, this seems pretty low to go into O/D gear. Just wondering if most people wait until around 35 - 40 to shift to O/D.

Glad I found this site.

Technically, Yes, you SHOULD turn off the fuel at every stop. A leaking float valve can lead to diluted engine oil or hydrolock. In reality, however, most of us never do it.

Yes, you can change the fuel petcock on the fly with no problem.

Never EVER shift at the speeds shown in the owner's manual - written by some stupid drunk fool. I am generally a big proponent of RTFM - you learn a lot. But unfortunately, whoever wrote that part of the manual was one of the most stupid people on earth. See my comments here:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=61360&highlight=shift

Goose

You probably should turn it offwhen parked. but mine has been seized in the reserve position since I bought the bike in 2006 without any ill effects so I don't think you need to loose any sleep over it if you don't turn it off all the time. I guess one day I will get around to fixing it . . someday. . . maybe.

I don't know why the manual recommends shifting at those ridiculous speeds. It is very easy to lug your engine in fifth gear so use it sparingly. Get used to winding this engine out. Riding will be more enjoyable.

Mike

Product liability. They fear lawsuits when people crash. By putting these limits in the manual, they can say the rider exceeded the instructions given.

Same thing most likely applies to turning off the petcock after every ride. That is old school no-fuel-pump doings. The likelyhood of a leak past the fuel pump is very small, but they keep that instruction in the manual just in case somebody's garage burns down and they blame Yam.