IGNORED

May Relocate, Need Advice

Dexx

Specifically from people in South Carolina. Will have a place to stay temporarily, and I'm starting to struggle with getting rid of stuff that I don't need and really don't want to move, but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the long distance job search thing. Any ideas?

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/images/misc/progress.gif

Guest MotorCycleRadio

If you don't know anyone to put you in the know about a job coming up, I suggest using a "Job Placement Service" there locally. The employer may pay all or part of the fee. Or maybe not, but they will find you a job. Since no info was provided as to your job desires, this is all I can offer.

A lot depends on the type of work you do and your level of experience. The internet has made long distance job seeking a lot easier in many instances.

Moving south 26 yrs ago is one of the best things I ever did but it was a roll of the dice and was damn tough for about the first 3 years. Most people I knew that tried it didn't hit a pot of gold in the first year and moved back with the excuse "well, I tried". It's not enough to try, you have to DO it. JMO.-Jack

most of my experience is in warehousing, inventory control, lower level logistics....but I'd be interested in other areas just for the variety of it. would like to avoid working two or more part-time/minimum wage jobs. Not even sure what the minimum wage is in SC. I have a friend that moved to NY a few years ago who did long distance phone interviews, but he was in IT and had a pretty decent electronic portfolio to send out. I'm still used to interviewing the old fashioned way. I've been checking into some companies that we do business with, but I don't have a concrete move date yet and don't want to waste people's time if something were to come up and i couldn't get there.

I transferred 17 years ago from NYC to Florida and man, it was an experience. One piece of advice I can give you is to make sure that you have put enough money away to make this move as painless as possible. I was fortunate to already have a good paying job and was able to transfer here. However, any excess money we had went real quick. We were living paycheck to paycheck for almost a year before I was able to recover. I also feel your pain with getting rid of old stuff. I just went ahead when we were sure we were moving and decided which stuff was really needed and which stuff was just sentimental stuff (not to be confused with family heirlooms) that we really no longer needed and we got rid of it. Its a big emotional thing to leave your "roots" so to speak and move elsewhere. Make sure its something you can live with. I had the shakes for about a year after moving here but it was something we really wanted for years.

Good luck on your search.............

We have quite a few members in SC try looking at the members list by state. You may be able to get in touch with folks in different areas to get an idea of what the employment situation is like. I'm sure you'll be hearing from our SC members. Good luck no matter what you end up doing.

By the way are you set on going to SC or are other states a possibility?

Margaret

Guest KitCarson

Marty: Not wishing to stop you from coming to South Carolina, but you did ask for what is. South Carolina in both wages and education is ranked way down the scale. I do not remember for sure but we are down like 48th in the nation. If you work for others even in the skilled blue collar jobs, such as mechanic, plumber, carpenter, the average wage is kinda low, it runs from 8 to 12 dollars an hour. Ware house work is about the same. I do not know exactly what you do, office or actual work in the warehouse.......if you are the worker in the warehouse yearly wage will be 21,000 to 24,000. As a supervisor it will be like 26,000 yearly. A lot of folks do work two jobs just to stay afloat. About the only field in our state that is almost up to average wage in other states is the medical fields........such as registered nurse, and such as that.

But hey the weather is nice most of the time, longer bike season!!

Marty: Not wishing to stop you from coming to South Carolina, but you did ask for what is. South Carolina in both wages and education is ranked way down the scale. I do not remember for sure but we are down like 48th in the nation. If you work for others even in the skilled blue collar jobs, such as mechanic, plumber, carpenter, the average wage is kinda low, it runs from 8 to 12 dollars an hour. Ware house work is about the same. I do not know exactly what you do, office or actual work in the warehouse.......if you are the worker in the warehouse yearly wage will be 21,000 to 24,000. As a supervisor it will be like 26,000 yearly. A lot of folks do work two jobs just to stay afloat. About the only field in our state that is almost up to average wage in other states is the medical fields........such as registered nurse, and such as that.

But hey the weather is nice most of the time, longer bike season!!

Wonder what the difference is in cost of living? Here's a site that may help you figure out what you need, dollar wise, versus where you are now. There are others like this available, but I don't happen to have them bookmarked anymore. http://www.homefair.com/find_a_place/calculators/salarycalc/index.asp?cc=1

Just Googled "salary calculator" and came up with several sites. This one looks like what I wanted in the first place--cost of living comparisons. http://cgi.money.cnn.com/tools/costofliving/costofliving.html

Good luck.

By the way are you set on going to SC or are other states a possibility?

Margaret

Tennessee was discussed, but that would mean major changes for two people. I'm pretty convinced I can get by with my truck, my Venture, the computer and a guitar....I just don't know what to do with the rest of the stuff.

Kit,

the wages sound about comparable, But in NY the state takes about a third before I even see it, what's the income tax down there?

Guest KitCarson
Tennessee was discussed, but that would mean major changes for two people. I'm pretty convinced I can get by with my truck, my Venture, the computer and a guitar....I just don't know what to do with the rest of the stuff.

Kit,

the wages sound about comparable, But in NY the state takes about a third before I even see it, what's the income tax down there?

Taxes are about the same, as a matter of fact income tax is set by the federal government as far your wages.....so that is the same........the state holds out the same with their tax table........but our state does allow more state deductions at the end of the year. I have a son going to college in your area, and do know living costs are less down here than up there, but also more in Florida....so SC does have lower living costs. Jobs are a little hard to come by also......too many people for the amount of work. They just closed another factory somewhere, either in SC or close.......I watch TV about once a month and do not pay attention even then, but something just laid off several hundred workers. So decent jobs are hard to find. Industry such as Cooper Tool, Michelin and so on, have waiting lists with folks waiting for jobs.......The housing industry is now slow......from sales to the builders who build them.......new sub-divisions just sitting with no activity, this does affect warehousing.

My advice.........use your computer........find a job first........then move. Things just work out better if you do not have to spend all your savings sitting trying to find work.......in todays world......you can find a job on the computer........get a telephone interview.......and most likely be hired before you even move.

I am certainly glad I have only one more move to make..........one day I will make one more move........to the graveyard.......I hate furniture....move...........glad it is you:bighug:Kit

Dexx ... Here is a good local place to start your job hunt in the

Charleston SC area ... There is a lot of openings .. Wages are

lower and price of living is higher (IMHO - based on places like Atlanta)

which I know is hard to believe ... Try here:

http://www.charlestonjobmarket.com/jobs.asp

There are a lot of government contractor's here supporting many

different aspects of National Security, the Navy, USMC, USAF and

the like .. There are always logistics jobs open to take care of the

extreme amount of equipment that passes through .. Also, Charleston

is the 3 largest container movement area in the world, so lots of

logistics, warehouse ..etc .. jobs ...

Will be good getting another Venture rider here .. We only have 4

known Ventures in town ... hahaha ..

Avg apartment rental is around $800 a month for a single bedroom,

$950 for a 2 bedroom (Nice places, not in the slums) .. Gas prices

today are about $2.85 for regular .. Food prices about the same as

everywhere ...

Lots of things to do if you are into camping, fishing, water sports ..

Seafood is tops here and cheap for the most part ... Roadside vendors

are selling shrimp for about $5.00 a pound ...

Roads are flat and streight for the most part .. No real twisties here on

the coast, but there is still good country riding ... You are about 120

miles from Myrtle Beach and their fine motorcycle turnouts each year ..

Most of the bikes in Charleston fall into two categories .. Harleys and

crotch rockets ...

Good luck on your job search ... If you need help, feel free to ask ..

Dexx, don't have much advice to add. Kit covered things pretty well. But I will offer any assistance I can to help you get employment. I relocated from NC 6 yrs ago, little bit different circumstances, but I still feel your pain. I would be happy to help out.

You will definatly love the winter riding down here, 80 degrees for the last 3 days.

Good luck, and IM me if I can be of assistance.:fingers-crossed-emo

PS, you know you will change from being a yankee to a damn yankee!:rotf::rotf::rotf:

Guest KitCarson
Dexx ... Here is a good local place to start your job hunt in the

Charleston SC area ... There is a lot of openings .. Wages are

lower and price of living is higher (IMHO - based on places like Atlanta)

which I know is hard to believe ... Try here:

http://www.charlestonjobmarket.com/jobs.asp

There are a lot of government contractor's here supporting many

different aspects of National Security, the Navy, USMC, USAF and

the like .. There are always logistics jobs open to take care of the

extreme amount of equipment that passes through .. Also, Charleston

is the 3 largest container movement area in the world, so lots of

logistics, warehouse ..etc .. jobs ...

Avg apartment rental is around $800 a month for a single bedroom,

$950 for a 2 bedroom (Nice places, not in the slums) .. Gas prices

today are about $2.85 for regular .. Food prices about the same as

everywhere ...

Lots of things to do if you are into camping, fishing, water sports ..

Seafood is tops here and cheap for the most part ... Roadside vendors

are selling shrimp for about $5.00 a pound ...

Roads are flat and streight for the most part .. No real twisties here on

the coast, but there is still good country riding ... You are about 120

miles from Myrtle Beach and their fine motorcycle turnouts each year ..

Most of the bikes in Charleston fall into two categories .. Harleys and

crotch rockets ...

Good luck on your job search ... If you need help, feel free to ask ..

Thanks Hugbare: That is a great bit of information for someone wanting to move to the Charleston Area, see I did not even know you were down there. I was in Charleston yesterday, Christmas break for the college kids, I went down on Crickett and got Nicole and brought her home for the Holidays. Thanks for helping out, that will certainly steer things in the right direction. Kit

We moved from Queensbury, NY in 1999 to Hilton Head Island, SC.

We moved from Hilton Head Island, SC to Florida in 2004.

Both moves were great and for the better. We sold previous owned property in both cases and left with $$$ in our pockets. We own again here. We could move again, we may move again, we may not.

Listen to your callings...

And like the Boy Scout training of years past: "Be prepaired."

Hi Kit ... Next time you are down this way, maybe we can get

together for a shake and greet .... Been here about 4 years after moving

here from Atlanta Area ... I think me and HeyU are about the only members

locally, and he has sold his RSV and gone to a, UUHH, Ultra Classic ...

Still a good guy though ..

I did that 11 years ago and have been working at 2-3 jobs ever since. It depends on whether you want to be at the beach or inland. There are some sizable plants for working in Florence (QVC, Honda), Greenville (Michelin), Spartanburg (BMW) and others as well. Minimum wage here is $5.65 just FYI! And employers who are touristically oriented are in love with that or less if they can find a way to pay it. The coastal area around Myrtle Beach is noted for cheap employers overall, unless you have a specific skill which is in need.

Let me know if I can be of any further help.

Bill Darling (Formerly of Syracuse area):080402gudl_prv:

Kit and all who may be in SC

Ya'll don't know me from anybody----but I can tell ya if you do get the chance to meet ol Hugbare--,do it. You will be blessed! Only thing is if you go on a ride with him --------- Do not follow him!! he has been known to lead some folks down the wrong road on occasion:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot::):):bighug:As long as you heed the warnings he is a great guy! Even if he did desert us here in Ga.

Guest KitCarson
Kit and all who may be in SC

Ya'll don't know me from anybody----but I can tell ya if you do get the chance to meet ol Hugbare--,do it. You will be blessed! Only thing is if you go on a ride with him --------- Do not follow him!! he has been known to lead some folks down the wrong road on occasion:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot::):):bighug:As long as you heed the warnings he is a great guy! Even if he did desert us here in Ga.

I fully plan on hunting him up one day after the holidays. We should get along fine, half the time I go down the wrong road!! The other half I am just going! I love to ride the coastal roads. So come spring I am sure we will meet.

I think I saw one of them, first gen, when i was visiting the GF in July. It was black an I saw it parked at Broadway at the Beach or Barefoot Landing, I don't remember which.

I'm not in the position where I have to move immediately, but I'm hoping to figure some stuff out and maybe pull it off by next fall. I appreciate all the tips, gives me a place to start.

Just another little something to think about Dex,, how familiar are you with hot humid muggy summer days?? I have lived in Michigan all my life but have done lots of traveling.. I also have a daughter who lives in Greenville SC and have visited many times..

While having totally enjoyed the biking down yonder I cant say the same for the non-biking days.. Other then working in an air conditioned environment,, I simply cant imagine working down there in the summer time - that would be unbearable.. Cant breath..... If I were looking for heat I would Venture (had to get that in here somewhere) somewhere west of the Rockies - like western Colorado or Utah or Nevada or Arizona,, someplace where the humidity is below 50 percent,, like they say - its a dry heat....

Just a thought..

'Puc

Guest KitCarson

What has been said about the heat is sooooooooooo true!!! When we first moved to South Carolina from the land of snow and tornados(Missouri and Awkansas) and it was in July, I thought something was wrong with me!(yea I know there is !!) I mean the sweat was rolling off, your shirt and clothes look like you have been drenched with a hose while moving all that furniture!. You can take a shower and by the time you get dry you are wet again! This past summer we had a three week spell with temps in the 100 to 107 range, with the heat of the bike motor and at 107 mean temp it does become totally unbearable. You have to plan your times out on the bike for early morning and get out of the heat by about 11 a.m. You do get used to it though and your blood gets thin!! Like this morning it is 27 degrees outside, this is cold for us.....I am waiting till 10 a.m just to go get to work.....brrrrrrrrr. And if you do not like the weather today......just give it a day or two, it will change, it will be 65 degrees most likely Christmas day........but might be 14 degrees the next, Weather does vary a lot, but usually even in one of our big ice storms...by noon it will be up over freezing the next day......melted by the next day and gone totally. Got to watch these southern drives though..none of them have a clue how to drive in a three snowflake storm......they all quit work at noon, go buy all the milk and bread in the stores.....get ready for the big snow.....then when it snows 1/4 of an inch....the next day there will be over 300 accidents just in Columbia the next morning.....the interstates will all be blocked full of accidents........but then they drive like this all year too:think::buttkick:it is a solid fact.....our state has the biggest amount of idiot drivers in the entire United States......and the most discourteous. I have heard a State Trooper Captain even state this on T.V. Kit

I sold my house NH and all my buisness inventory in moved here to florida in april of 04, best move i ever made. I just wish i had done it 20 years sooner. I bought a house rented shop space and went to work. of course huricane charley i august gave an instant boom to my buisness.

hottest ive seen is 95* its hot working outside but buitiful at night.

now im cold at 50*

just do it how ever you can.

most of my experience is in warehousing, inventory control, lower level logistics....but I'd be interested in other areas just for the variety of it. would like to avoid working two or more part-time/minimum wage jobs. Not even sure what the minimum wage is in SC. I have a friend that moved to NY a few years ago who did long distance phone interviews, but he was in IT and had a pretty decent electronic portfolio to send out. I'm still used to interviewing the old fashioned way. I've been checking into some companies that we do business with, but I don't have a concrete move date yet and don't want to waste people's time if something were to come up and i couldn't get there.

Well dont know if its any interest to you but with what I see you have done, Sams is going to buid a distribution center beside our Wal Mart Distribution WHSE here in New Braunfels,Texas. If intereted email me and I will get the contact info for you but it will not be ready from what I hear till about mid 2008. Tom

OK, here is one for you that may hit the spot ...

http://64.16.131.35/pcrbin/reg5.exe

Look about halfway down the page and you will see Inventory Supply Analysis.. Might be right up your alley ... Might also take a look at the rest

of their offerings ..

I know this company very well .. Worked for them for 3 years in Atlanta ..

Good company, and the folks here in Charleston are top flight ... Send

them your resume, tell them I sent you .. hahahaha ... I'm serious ..

Or ... send me your resume .. I know their corporate recruiter ...