IGNORED

Just d@mn!

Motorcycle Mike

Stopped to get gas today. I pulled up to the pump and there was a ford ranger at the pump in front of me. I turned off the ignition, Shirley dismounted as I removed the gas cap and set it where the key go's and pull my wallet out. As I'm fishing for the credit card the lady at the next pump decides she wants to look at the prices again, throws it in reverse and I'm taking a ride backwards. Shirley's yelling WOAH!!! I'm not sure what I was yelling, but I was.:shock3:

The only damage is to the front fender and it's toast. I guess it will have to go to the shop for an estimate so I'll be without the RSV for awhile.:depressed: Hopefully the ins will let me do the work so I'll have it back on the road quicker, and I prefer to do my own work anyway.

Normally this would not be a problem since I have a Honda VTX as well. But monday the piston vacuum in the carb decided to split so it's out of commision. Part is backorderd untill at least late next week.:depressed:

I guess I'll keep riding the RSV with a real ugly front fender untill I can get the Honda going. I can't stand the thought of not having a bike to ride.

Do I call her ins or go through mine?:confused24:

I've wrecked bikes before but this is the first time someone else was involved.

Darn Mike, That is bad, but could have been much worse.Fenders replace easy but it will be a mess to deal with. I would go get 2 estimates and call the persons Ins. they won't want you to do it yourself and the check will be in both your name and the persons who is supposed to fix it. It would be nice to get the fender and pocket the labor and it has been done many times under the table. hope to see you at Vogel.....Ken

You need to contact your insurance carrier to notify them of the accident. They will ask who else involved and if police investigated. You will give them the lady's info and they should follow up with her insurance.

She needs to file a claim with her insurance co. They will call you, just remember the magic phrase. " My vehicle was parked, with no key in the ignition". This will stop them from trying to use "contributory negligence" in an effort to have you pay half the damages. If she doesn't file a claim, file with yours. You will have to pay your deductible but you will get it back, eventually. Any cameras at the pumps will help, even it you're not sure there were cameras, mention the posibility to her insurance company.

Please, anytime you have even a minor fender bender, sorry, get an incident report from the police. They may not want to come out, but it really is an important piece of paper when proving a loss.

Not to be a downer, but, the person that hits the rear end of the other vehicle is put at fault.

But the vehicle that is backing is ALLWAYS at fault.

No way they can go there. Key was in the gas cap sitting in the little nook where the key go's.

They will call you, just remember the magic phrase. " My vehicle was parked, with no key in the ignition". This will stop them from trying to use "contributory negligence" in an effort to have you pay half the damages.

Please, anytime you have even a minor fender bender, sorry, get an incident report from the police. They may not want to come out, but it really is an important piece of paper when proving a loss.

Cop's were called and came, report written. Never a question as to who was at fault.

I called my ins. this morning. They said to file a claim with the other parties ins. and if I had a problem to let them know. I called their ins. told the whole story and made sure they knew the key was out of the ignition and it sounds like, at least at this point, they'll make me whole. We'll see.

Thanks for the input.

But the vehicle that is backing is ALLWAYS at fault.

No way they can go there. Key was in the gas cap sitting in the little nook where the key go's.

Cop's were called and came, report written. Never a question as to who was at fault.

I called my ins. this morning. They said to file a claim with the other parties ins. and if I had a problem to let them know. I called their ins. told the whole story and made sure they knew the key was out of the ignition and it sounds like, at least at this point, they'll make me whole. We'll see.

Thanks for the input.

Sounds like you should be cool there then. Just wanted to make sure you had that stuff. I had a friend that that happened to in a car and everything seemed cool and he didnt call the cops. Then come time to get insurance, the other person claimed he ran into the back of him. Sounds like you got all the info you need. :080402gudl_prv:

Stopped to get gas today. I pulled up to the pump and there was a ford ranger at the pump in front of me. I turned off the ignition, Shirley dismounted as I removed the gas cap and set it where the key go's and pull my wallet out. As I'm fishing for the credit card the lady at the next pump decides she wants to look at the prices again, throws it in reverse and I'm taking a ride backwards. Shirley's yelling WOAH!!! I'm not sure what I was yelling, but I was.:shock3:

The only damage is to the front fender and it's toast. I guess it will have to go to the shop for an estimate so I'll be without the RSV for awhile.:depressed: Hopefully the ins will let me do the work so I'll have it back on the road quicker, and I prefer to do my own work anyway.

Normally this would not be a problem since I have a Honda VTX as well. But monday the piston vacuum in the carb decided to split so it's out of commision. Part is backorderd untill at least late next week.:depressed:

I guess I'll keep riding the RSV with a real ugly front fender untill I can get the Honda going. I can't stand the thought of not having a bike to ride.

Do I call her ins or go through mine?:confused24:

I've wrecked bikes before but this is the first time someone else was involved.

Handle the claim through her company if at all possible. Don't turn it in to yours unless she or her company doesn't respond. If you do and they pay (even if they subrogate) it will still show as a loss on your policy. If they don't respond properly, do turn it in to your company. They'll take care of the loss then go after her company for reimbursement