IGNORED

Need Advice.

Guest Popeye

I got a buyer for my 86 VR, full price [$4400] if I hold it until spring [no problem] eBay Item # 110201753639.

Almost the same ad as in our classifieds here.

He wants proof that i have this scoot in my possession. He is a few states away & auction ends in 2 days.

I have 100% (23) rating since Dec 02 with eBay, but he is wise to be cautious.

How do i prove this by email or phone? Any Ideas?

Well, I suppose that you could take a picture of you next to the bike, with you holding a newspaper with a headline that shows that it's a current paper. Maybe a sports page headline from a recent game. I know I'm reaching here, but it works in kidnappings!:cool10:

he is going to have to trust you.the balls in your court .make sure he has good feed back and have him put at least $500 up front within 48 hours of end of auction.don't give him the bike till you have the cash.if you use paypal ,the best way to go, make sure he pays the fee about $132.00. be very cautious and get the cash .there are some slick scammers out there.last of all make sure you are 100% honest when you describe the bike to him. :2133:

Could you email a copy of title? Make sure you write copy over the top of it.

That should prove the scoot is in your name.

I wouldn't do that on a dare unless I totally obliterated my VIN and address... Trust no one you don't know, especially in a situation like this.

Perhaps he would sign a promisary note stating he will pay you in full upon receiving the scoot...

The problem isn't whether I OWN the scoot, it's'IF' it is in my possession?

That's a tough one & I can't figure a way. He doesn't know what I look like, so pics don't help. Besides, a pic could be sent & routed from anywhere.

The problem isn't whether I OWN the scoot, it's'IF' it is in my possession?

That's a tough one & I can't figure a way. He doesn't know what I look like, so pics don't help. Besides, a pic could be sent & routed from anywhere.

hey bud!

go out riding, find a highway patrolman, run off and leave him.

make him catch you and write you a speeding ticket!

solid proof as you can get!!!!!

:confused24::080402gudl_prv:

lol

just jt

Popeye,

Straight up, do not play around! If that person ain't got the cash now, then he lost a fantastic two wheeled bike. Lost, KEYWORD, leave it alone at that!

Like I said, let me know when you or anyone is not at your house when the bike is there, there are many parts that I have interest in.

Gawd, if you parted that bike out, you would prolly get that (see above, THERE ARE THINGS I WANT!).

Get this, I am being nice about this to you, tell that guy to pay up or go F himself. It is not worth the hassle, storage, stress for any of this. This person got an Ebay account to buy something then and there, not till wait until next spring.

Grab yer balls, and be proud of them!

Guest tessa c2

well he could just be being carefull, i happened to me little over a year ago, after my 86 was rearended, i was about to buy a bike in wisconsine, i had put a bid on a scooter and ended up runner up, and the fellow came back a few days later asking if i was still interested in the bike, so i had got on here looking for someone to do a check on the bike, and ended up there wasn't nothing in that town but a tire shop, then after that i had to redo my whole ebay and paypal account on account of this deal. ebay checked hiim out and he was a fraud. so i can see were this guy is comming from.:backinmyday:

Popeye:

I do a ton of business on Ebay - mostly selling bikes I have built.. I have run into your exact situation many times.. I have a "pay one price - talk all you want" telephone service and incorporate the telephone with all my sales for 99% of the commucations - just hearing the voice of an honest seller tempers a lot of problems.. Also,, you can take pictures of your bike with closeups of ID numbers or any other ID items and send them to him. Then have a child (I used to use my kids all the time) get on the phone with him and let him direct the child to any place on the bike and have them read/describe what they are looking at.. Another way is to have a local bike shop who's name is in the yellow pages of the local phone directory do the same thing.. This really works well if you happen to know the bike shop owner so they can also vouch for you - I have also done this several times.

Yes there are a LOT of scammers on Ebay, and the internet in general, BUT there are also a LOT of really great folks out there - I have done business with and met some of the greatest folks on the planet thru my business dealings with Ebay.. Personally,, I have had wayyyyyyy less issue with the people buying/selling on Ebay then I have with Ebay itself.. Their lazy idiotiotic way of handling scammers and mishandling of people who are just trying to use their auction services as a business tool is atrocious,, the owners are filthy rich and they could care less about their customers -- but that is a different subject......

'Puc

Popeye, all good advise here I guess - I don't do that much EBAY transactions. My understanding of EBAY is that if you are looking to buy something now, you pay for it now - and in this case, then pick it up anytime you want (based upon agreement between seller/buyer). Reading this, I wouldn't know the circumstances for the buyer - maybe waiting for his tax refund? I would think if you got a non-refundable deposit, if you chose to hold the bike for him, that you would be OK - as I think if the deal fell through, you would have plenty of buyers out there - that is a gorgeous bike. Regarding if you in possession of the bike, I guess I would suggest Don's idea - maybe copy and paste some threads from this site and send to him? :080402gudl_prv:

Guest MotorCycleRadio

Ask him what he wants for proof? It's his problem to figure out, not yours. Tell him he can come see it anytime. Maybe a statement from a Notary Public that you have the bike.

I used ebay one time about six years ago and was completely disgusted with them and paypal. I will not ever use them again.

I'm just wondering what this guy expects, and why he needs proof that the bike exists? He might just be cautious, but the 'does it exist' problem is something that holds true with any Ebay motorcycle auction. I definately wouldn't take a token down and hold it. Even a non-refundable deposit could go bad and you end up sitting on the bike all winter with no money until spring before you can relist it. The idea of having an aquaintence inspect it has merit, but if he doesn't know anyone in the area perhaps having him call a local dealer that knows the bike could vouch for it. Better yet, ask him what he would need as proof.... If his requests get a little strange, forget him and go on....

Good advice from all here [with the possible exception of 'hipshot' :)].

Anyway, got a call from Hamburg, Germany this Sunday a.m. & answered a few questions.

He called back an hour later & bought it for Buy Now Price...$4400.00

He pays $500. to PayPal & balance due within 7 days in U.S. funds.

Go figure. :think:

Good advice from all here [with the possible exception of 'hipshot' :)].

Anyway, got a call from Hamburg, Germany this Sunday a.m. & answered a few questions.

He called back an hour later & bought it for Buy Now Price...$4400.00

He pays $500. to PayPal & balance due within 7 days in U.S. funds.

Go figure. :think:

So much for keeping it........... :bang head:

Guest cyote61

Just tell the guy to get on the forum and ask the members that know you to vouch for ya. If that's not good enough, then screw him. :322: And make sure you get the money up front or the non-refundable deposit.