I have an 88 VR. Last year the TCI nuked and I replaced it with the ignition from Checkloslovakia. Road for quite a while this spring now I'm having trouble with hot starts. Bike starts first time but won't start after being ridden for awhile. Will turn over once or twice then the starter disengages. Leave it set for an hour and come back to it and it will start.

I don't know whats going on but the battery is good and when running charges at 12 volts. Anyone have any ideas?

Common problem called heat soak.

Cheap fix .... clean starter, check brushes, do Dingys starter brush plate ground mod and clean all battery to starter and starter to ground connections.

Oh yeah, up grade to the heavier battery cables to.

Best and final fix. Replace stock 2 brush starter with a newer 4 brush set up.

A DEKA AGM battery will be the final touch.

Mike

Edited by Snaggletooth

There ya go with the finger pointing again! And I'm trying to keep a low profile. Geesh.

Actually, the PO did a ground mod to the starter in my bike long before I got it. It was odd looking and complicated. Spring loaded. Ol' Dingy here made life simple with an easy wire job and took pics so everybody could see the process.

So he did it!!! :stirthepot:

The 4 brush unit is a complete starter. The 2 and 4 brush units will both fit the bike and mount up the same. Only the parts between the two different starters do not interchange with each other. Well, I think the brushes will but the rest is a bit different.

Watch eBay for a early V-Max starter. I got a used one from skydoc_17 a couple years back for $40.00. Dingy found his for $60.00. Bit cheaper than buying new. And these critters are tough. Last a long time.

I have seen a lot of listings on eBay in the past for V-Max starters. Read carefully and ask questions. Some are not actually 4 brush units. Buyer beware.

This was a post done by Dingy on the 4 brush unit.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=55537

Hope that explains the unit for you.

NOTE! With replacing brushes use ONLY OEM or high quality brushes. When I first rebuilt my 2 brush unit I replaced brushes with a set I got off eBay for about $5.00. They lasted a year before they failed and shorted out. Very low quality carbon. Cost me a starter and some agravation. Learning experience.

Mike

2 and 4 brush starters have different brushes, not interchangeable.

One way I think I have found to tell a 2 brush from a 4 brush on the outside is the winding screws that are only present in the 2 brush starters. In the 4 brush starters the windings are epoxied in place.

Attached picture shows a 2 brush starter on top and the housing from a 4 brush starter below. The screw I am referring to is the one below & to right of 12V terminal on top starter. There are 4 of these around the mid line, one in each coil.

1990 & newer VMax's have the 4 brush starters in them.

Gary