IGNORED

anit-freeze ?

Reed

Is there a different anti-freeze for motorcycles? The steeler told me there is reg. anti-freeze for cars won't work. The water pump on a Venture don't like it! If i remeber right some thing about Silicone? I think he is blowing smoke up my tail pipe!!!!! trying to sell Yamaha brand.

THANK'S for your reply!

Edited by Reed

hmm i went to a mechanic shop i know who works on cars and inboard outboard motors and he sold me prestone 50/50 premixed said its good for motorcycles as well now im no expert and im sure others will pop in on this. as this is a good question

It's not "silicone" it's silicates, silicates help to keep a cars cooling system clean, but, they can damage a motorcycles water pump because they have a vane type pump as opposed to an impeller used in cars. Always use a silicate free coolant in a motorcycle.

I did look at the threads that came up about anti-freeze!!! The thread above "DID NOT" come up! If it would have I would not have asked again!!!

HEehehe, I glad that I am not the only person that it happens to........:confused24:

Brian

I did look at the threads that came up about anti-freeze!!! The thread above "DID NOT" come up! If it would have I would not have asked again!!!

Yep, me too. Been there and done that one too. Sometimes it don't work right for me either. Ya, nice to know that I am not by myself.:smash2::smash2::smash2::smash2:

I would have posted this earlier, but did not find it so quick.

Fuzzy

You gotta be kidding me. I just bought some Preston to change my coolant with and now I need to worry about if it's the right stuff? Ya know, doing your own maintenance is a real pain in the a$$.

Ya, sometimes. But it is a good kinda pain. Do it yourself and know that it is done correctly. These folks and this site will allow you to do that. The best $12.00 bucks I ever spent on the bike. Someone has a thread dedicated to the upgrades,chrome thingys and so on done to thier ride. I would have to say that the money spent to be part of this site is the best upgrade ever to my ride. :cool10::cool10::cool10::cool10:

Fuzzy

It is suggested that a mix of 60% Silicate Free Anti-Freeze to 40% Distilled Water gives our VR motors the best protection. Anti-Freeze raises the temperature that water boils at, the WATER does the cooling. Also, when mixing the Anti-Freeze and water, ADD the Anti-Freeze to the water, NOT the other way around. The object is to have the Anti-Freeze molecule "encapsulate" the water molecule. Lastly, don't fill the radiator half full of water then add the Anti-Freeze, do your mixing BEFORE you put it in the bike. (Hard to believe, but I have seen it done):doh:

Earl