IGNORED

Topping the gas tank ?

GolfVenture

Many times I go for a short ride and then when I return, I fill the gas tank again at home with my 5 gallon can so when I want to go for my next ride I can without the need to stop at the gas station to fill up.

My question is, what is it about the tank design that each time I top off the tank the gas level slowly goes down. I did this one time about 5 times then quit.

If you fill it too full, it will run out an overflow. Usually there is an obvious wet spot under the bike.

I don't fill mine (with hole in filler neck) all the way to the top unless I'm going to get on it and ride.

I filled mine on sunday and was under the bike changing the oil . I smelled gas and sure enough there was gas leaking from the overflow tube. Just from a lil heat from the engine and the sun beating on the tank. They have a vent for a reason, I actually have the plastic neck cover bubbled up. Looks like someone left the tube off and the vent allowed fuel to leak onto the plastic.

I typically like to top it off ... unless my bike is going to be parked out in the sun on a hot day. There have been a couple of times when I haven't really paid attention to this, and shortly thereafter I found expanding fuel overflowing the from around the cap and giving my tank a gasoline bath. Not a comfortable sight when you need to start it up to ride. Fortunately, the couple of times this has happened, my bike did not burst in to flames after hitting the starter button.

Be Safe!

Pete.