Most of the time it is because of low air pressure.

I just went out and check the air presure, 18 lbs, and to tell you the truth i dont know how long it has been that low, have not checked it sence last summer, i regret to say.

I just went out and check the air presure, 18 lbs, and to tell you the truth i dont know how long it has been that low, have not checked it sence last summer, i regret to say.

I'm pretty bad also about air pressure but I don't think I have ever had one that low.

You must have run that tire low quite a while if it was cupping.

I bet you it's going to be a lot quieter running down the road now.

Some of the guys check the tires before every ride, I usually check mine a couple of times a summer or if it sounds noisy.

Ride Safe,

BOO

Checking your tires should be at the very top of the list!!!!!!!!! Last year at sturgis when i watched the news they had a daily death tow from the motorcycle accidents 80% were caused from tire failure!!!!!!!!!! It only takes a few minutes to check the psi and look the tire over. It will save your life!

Checking your tires should be at the very top of the list!!!!!!!!! Last year at sturgis when i watched the news they had a daily death tow from the motorcycle accidents 80% were caused from tire failure!!!!!!!!!! It only takes a few minutes to check the psi and look the tire over. It will save your life!

you can bet that i will check it more offten now after this, its gona cost me another tire now becaus i am afraid of this one, when you run them low it can damage the side wall and besides that it is a metzler and they have had trouble with those tires comeing apart after they have been run low on air presure

what i have read any way

live and learn i gess.

Dont know if this has been talked about allready but i have a rear tire that is cuping it only has about 2000 miles on it, just seen it today, any one have any ideas what can cause this ?

When I got my '84 VR a few years back, the Avon Venom's that were on it were cupped. Found out, through this site, that if you run the cold psi on the sidewall then they don't cup. Replaced the Venom's with Dunlop E3's, run them at the sidewall cold psi, and after 3000 miles, no noticeable cupping issues so far....

I have an 05 RSV. I'm on my second set of avon venoms and my rear tire is cupped. I run 48psi in the rear tire and ride two up most of the time. What would cause the rear tire to cup? My wife and I took a trip to Cherokee, NC this past weekend and the vibration was bad with the rear tire. Anyone know what avon recommends for tire pressure with the venom

Hmmmm, I bet then rear end felt squirrelly as well!! Don't ask how I know about this...

Yea little bit but i tought it was just the front end that i am getting ready to change out, bad fork seal on one side and need to tighten up and check the neck bearings, have not had much time to work on the Venture becaues i have been working on this XS1100 that i have been trying to get it going so i can ride it while i work on the Venture plus every thing elece i need to around here, whoever tought when you retire you retire is nuts, think i got more to do now that i had when i was working, only deference is now you can set whenever you want to, maybe i am setting to much ya think :whistling: :confused24: :backinmyday:

Not braggin, just sayin, I have several bikes, retired and all I do is ride. I check my tire pressures each and every time I ride. Even from one day to the next, never know if you picked up a nail or not. I have too much riding on them (me) not to check. Remember T-CLOCS (Tires/wheels,Controls/Lights/electronic, Oil/fluids, Chassis/Sidestand

On touring bikes , my standard rule for rear tires...since I weigh just under 200#. Solo run approx. 10% under max on the sidewall. Two up...run max. Front run 20% under max all the time. Got 15k+ out of the rear like this. and 18k out of the front.Running max solo is simply dangerous! because you are reducing the contact area ALL the time.

Edited by jasonm.

• 11 months later...

I noticed some folks run 48 PSI in their rear tire. My Dunlop D404 is rated at a maximum of 41PSI for both the front and rear.

Any pointers here for a 6,500 mile highway trip, California to DC and back?

Many Thanks!

Jeff

:confused24: